drum17

Carplay or iDrive USB for Spotify

Hi,

New member here, gladly returning to BMWs after a short Mazda experience, with a new G31 530D Xdrive purchase.

I have the HK system and interested in getting the best audio quality from Spotify and stored Music on my phone.

I'm used to connecting my phone, (iPhone 6) via USB as BT audio wasn't very good on the Mazda.

Spent some time comparing Apple Carplay and USB to iDrive yesterday as I was underwhelmed by the Spotify experience on Carplay - no search feature, can't view content of playlists, and also audio quality was worse than via USB iDrive connect - seemed to be less bottom end.

I won't use Carplay for anything else other than playing music and think I will stick with iDrive,  but the only downside seemed to be that you can't easily switch between Spotify and Music stored on the phone without making the switch on the actual phone.

Wondered if anyone else has ditched Carplay for same reasons, and whether there is a way to switch from Spotify to stored music via iDrive rather than having to close Spotify on the phone.

Thanks

Gary

In manage mobile devices page, untick the Bluetooth box for your phone but keep Apps ticked, then open Spotify on the phone, you should see a green Spotify icon under your phone name in iDrive.

If you want REAL high quality music, get a SSD hard drive and download your music in FLAC. Makes a massive difference in quality.

20 hours ago, drum17 said:

In manage mobile devices page, untick the Bluetooth box for your phone but keep Apps ticked, then open Spotify on the phone, you should see a green Spotify icon under your phone name in iDrive.

Would this not remove Bluetooth calls on my phone?

On 4/3/2018 at 7:53 PM, drum17 said:

Thanks - I've got quite a lot of music in FLAC format - will iDrive recognise it ?

Yep, even the f10 manages that although i cant hear much difference between spotify extreme quality via usb iphone and flac from a usb drive on the f10s HK system. Both sound great!