Calypso-E34

Need some urgent advice - F10 rear suspension

I’m in Ireland right now on holiday, and I’m having a problem with the F10.

there’s a creaking / almost grinding noise coming from the near side rear of the car. I hear it going at crawling pace over uneven ground or speed humps. If I get out and rock the car, or sit on the boot edge and bounce it, it sounds more like a creak. In the car with 4 passengers, it sounds more like grinding - impossible to say really. 

I dont have a jack, but the part of the coil spring I can see looks right enough. Brakes are all ok. Ride height on level ground is the same both sides. The car seems to be riding and handling fine. 

It’s a bank holiday weekend, so no point trying to get it looked at until at least Tuesday, but we are due to travel back to Inverness early Thursday. 

Can anyone one give me some advice as to what this might be, and if the car is safe to drive?  I’m still covered by the Approved warranty,  

It sounds like strut top mounts ... But could just be a worn rubber bush from one of the arms. 

Edit You should be alright on normal driving 

Edited by Carl-e34

Just now, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Anti roll bar bush. Is the weather wet or dry?

Dry today Andy - it was wet driving down, and we didn’t notice anything. 

Theres a bit of a ‘springy’ noise to it over very rough surfaces.  

Ok, so this sounds worse today with just me in the car. It’s making the noise all the time, and knocking over rough surfaces. Sounds like the top of the suspension, but I could be wrong. 

Getting a bit concerned about the journey home. 

Once I do get home, this car is going. I’m done with modern BMWs and their unreliability. I’m off to get something I can trust to complete a journey. 

19 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Dry today Andy - it was wet driving down, and we didn’t notice anything. 

Theres a bit of a ‘springy’ noise to it over very rough surfaces.  

What's the miles on the BMW ? Sadly the e32/e34  quality is not there in modern BMW... 

If mileage is around 50k It's most likely the rear top mounts gone. 

54 minutes ago, Carl-e34 said:

What's the miles on the BMW ? Sadly the e32/e34  quality is not there in modern BMW... 

If mileage is around 50k It's most likely the rear top mounts gone. 

Just coming up to 60k now. I’m hoping to get it back to Inverness ok!

Surely it’s worth fixing?! I’m sure it’s nothing major. I remember my parents buying a brand new e46 and e39 when I was at school and they both visited the dealer a few times with issues, I don’t think older BMW’s are without their issues.  I think you need a 90s petrol Honda! You probably don’t even need to service it!

Are you sure its not the rear seat? on mine every time an adult sits on the rear passenger side i get a creak over rough roads / bumps, if i push the rear seat back i can hear the creak as if a metal clip or something inside has broken. with the child seat in the back and my kid inside its not enough weight to cause the noise. worth having a look.

Edited by IINexusII

On 4/1/2018 at 5:36 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Anti roll bar bush. Is the weather wet or dry?

Funny you should say that - there's a squeak coming from somewhere on my 540i which disappears when it's wet

Edited by Piper

So - an update.

We got the car back to Inverness, and it went in to Harry Fairbairn BMW this morning.  It would seem that the problem is indeed a broken rear coil spring.  This is the second spring which has broken since I bought the car last July.  It is being replaced under warranty.

Given the state of the roads in Scotland generally, and that bastard A9 in particular - and the lack of give in these rock hard run flat tyres,  I'm surprised that the wheels aren't oval by now.  I'm not sure if these Dunlops are less forgiving than the Summer tyres - I hope so.

I may yet be exchanging this car for something else, depending on what deal is on the table.  So far I have been offered a Passat CC, which although well equipped, has only 140Bhp, and a top of the range Mondeo Titanium X Sport 2.2TDci with the Powershift box.  I quite like that, but the sums aren't quite right yet.  Big, spacious, comfy, well equipped and fast enough....

Obviously I do like the F10, or I wouldn't have bought it, but it's been back to the dealer to be worked on a few times now, and I'm concerned about ongoing costs once the warranty expires in mid July.

18 minutes ago, paperjams said:

I changed to non run flats when on my 18"s and there was a noticeable difference

I can't be on non runflats without a spare - and as we found when we went on our break, the F10 boot is ridiculously small for a car that size.  We barely got our luggage for the week in there.  For our Summer holiday, we will have to take my Wife's Ford Kuga instead, and leave the BMW at home.  Pathetic.

15 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

I can't be on non runflats without a spare - and as we found when we went on our break, the F10 boot is ridiculously small for a car that size.  We barely got our luggage for the week in there.  For our Summer holiday, we will have to take my Wife's Ford Kuga instead, and leave the BMW at home.  Pathetic.

I agree with you to an extent, the lack of space for a spare is shocking! I just carry around the foam and a pump but I am tempted to get a space saver for longer journeys

10 minutes ago, sshooie said:

I bought a steel spacesaver that sits in the boot in a bag. 

I considered that - but on occasions where I would want to have a spare, we are usually going on holiday, and the deep but narrow boot can't cope with the luggage as it is.