bigfella9852

Low Mileage e39 530i SE - Whats it worth?

I am looking to sell my 530i which has only 45k on the clock from new.  It is in excellent condition, probably one of the nicest in the country.

It has 7 months MOT.

The only known issue is one of the front PDC sensor needs replacing.

It has had recent disks and pads all round, new aux belt, thrust control arms plus rear arms (Lemforder) and a whole host other replacement parts over the past year or two.  In the past few months it has also had a new battery, been well maintained and no expense spared when selecting service items or replacement parts.

It has all the usual SE refinements, plus M5 folding mirrors.

So the big question is, what do you think it is worth, should I put it up at a certain price and see what response I get?  I know this might be difficult to answer as cars like this, with such low mileage, don't come up that often.

Thanks!

20140712_073648.jpg

20140712_073754.jpg

IMG_20170520_104526.jpg

IMG-20170505-WA0002.jpeg

It's worth as much as someone is willing to pay for it. Being a low mileage example helps, but to get a good price you'll need to describe it well on your ad, take good all-around inside/out pictures and prove all the work done, etc. I would say maybe £4-5k, if you manage to find the right buyer, but check what's already for sale and that will give you an idea of how much to ask for.

Quite often you see cars with higher mileage in better condition, than those with half on the clock, which are in battered state, so it goes without saying that it all depends on how well the car has been looked after - the mileage is only one of the factors.

Hi,

£4-5K for enthusiasts means it'd need to be a Sport variant and with a manual gearbox. Very few of this sector of the market will want an SE at that kind of price level. Do take much better pictures, the last one looks as if it's had a front offside wing as the colour doesn't seem to match - it might be the angle of the camera though.

Also, as per above, get a good well sorted and descriptive advert done, great on details and include things like condition and specification. Get many clear good pictures done too. The M5 mirrors are nice but look a little out of place on an otherwise totally standard SE. £3495 I think would have your phone actually ring. You can of course ask more, however I'd say the amount of potential calls will diminish. 

Cheers, Dennis!

Thanks Blackman and Dennis, sound advice there.  Noted on the M5 mirrors, they aren't genuine but are good quality.

I did have standard e39 folding mirrors on it originally, but some twonk caught one passing under a bridge!  They are so hard to come by these days, so I opted for this option.

It's not hard to make an SE into a sport (more or less), if the buyer wants to (bumpers, suspension, alloys etc - the latter 2 fairly readily available etc),l but it's what their willing to pay initially

For me, I want to see paperwork to show suspension, cooling system has been maintained and will then start to look at known bodywork issues etc

It looks a superbly clean car and well looked after. The mirrors won't be an issue to most, so I'd leave them be, as long as they work as they should

As it stands, I'd say your car should hopefully fetch c£3k, so I'd sell it at £3500 and accept somewhere in between... Could be that it needs to drop in price before it sells, but it's low mileage will always gain attention...

Thanks everyone for their advice.  Yes it has been maintained regardless of cost and has had a lot of many new parts in the recent months.

I forgot to add - its on a 52 plate.

I'd say £2500, £2750 at a push. It's an E39 and nobody really wants them. 

Given the mileage and condition, I wouldn't sell it for such a derisory sum anyway, but keep it. What on earth would you replace it with?

Well this is it, we don't actually need the e39.  I have a small 1L car to drive to work in the and the wife uses a Yeti - she doesn't like the big BMW!

You're right though, its such a lot of car for the money.

24 minutes ago, bigfella9852 said:

I would love to keep it though, but running 3 cars in a family of only 2 drivers is perhaps deemed lavish!

Find a local dry storage place, get to know them, pay them cash and use it as a luxury vehicle when you want ;) 

Having said all of this, it's a lovely low mileage example of one of BMW's best efforts. Someone I know paid a LOT of money for a low mileage Japanese import recently, a 525i Sport. Not five figures but not far off.

Bollocks to it, put it on an Ebay classified advert (with best offer) and Car and Classic for £4995. Of course, most won't pay that but it only needs one buyer who really, really wants an E39 and is fed up with looking at the usual 100'000+ miles shite. Where would you find a 530i Auto like this?

The more I look at it, the more I realise it's almost unique. Faint heart never won fair maiden! Don't give it away in other words.

Get it listed on here too

Your link may get removed as it's now for sale, but not in the right section ;) 

Looks very nice indeed, if it was manual I would be on my way ! just curious, what size wheels & tyres are on it ?

3 minutes ago, Busterbvi said:

Looks very nice indeed, if it was manual I would be on my way ! just curious, what size wheels & tyres are on it ?

Thanks.  The wheels are 17", I can't for the life of me remember the tyre sizes (am at work at the minute).

36 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

I can't see it being a sad day if you manage to get something near the advertised price!

Trust me, it will be.  Car owes me a lot more than that - I am aware of its uniqueness which is why I would like to keep it ideally.