-TARBY-

Vibration when braking... maybe my imagination

Hi all

This may sound odd and maybe I don’t even have an issue.

ive had my 2016 535d f11 now for a few weeks and driving it a fair amount and when the mrs lets me drive it I love it!

My question is based on maybe not being experienced with efficient dynamics. When I brake I ‘sense’ a slight vibration. This is around the 40 mph mark. When I brake at any other speed all is fine and when I brake really hard at say 60, it’s all good, nice and solid.

I also sense the vibration or road noise is present at the same speed after I take my foot off the brakes.

My questions..

• am imagining it? Would there be other symptoms or brake wear or suspension gear issues?

• Does the effiencieng dynamics braking do anything that could explain this?

• maybe the road noise and vibration through my run flats is just normal?

the brake service is due in 3500K but I won’t wait until then if anyone here suggests I do have an issue.

thanks

Tarbs

I am experiencing similar, only just perceptible.

At my recent service I was advised the inner pads on the front are down to 3mm. There is a noticeable lip on the inner discs.

Discounting wheel balance, I am expecting this to be resolved when I fit my new discs and pads.

Edited by bee

If there is a slight imperfection in the discs or pads, it might only make itself felt at certain speeds, thus frequency.

Could be slightly worn discs or pads or corrosion between the disc and hub.

A common source of vibration (steering wheel shimmy) under braking can also be due to wearing lower arm bushes.

Thanks guys. I have a trusty indie that I can bung some beer money at to check the brakes.

id hate to thing on a car that has only just passed its 2 year and done 21k that it would be anything else but serviceable break components.

But they can still wear? 

Ive just been out in it as it was bugging me. 

Deffo a shimmy felt through the steering wheel and I think my foot on the brake around 50 mph. If I’m doing 70 and brake hard it will shimmy at 50 etc.

no other issues, it drives like it should, handles and glides along.

gonna need to get it checked out.

One thing to check that has not been mentioned is wheel balancing I’ve had this on various cars I have owned and wheel balancing cured it, worth a check.

At that mileage its got to be tyre wear, balancing or some kind of uneven brake issue. 

Issues 1+2 get checked with front wheels off, check and balance.

Issue 3 as you say ought to get checked with your brakes especially as its on 21k -is your wife especially  heavy on the brakes? because i thought most people on here got to 30-40k easily on front pads, rears at 20k very common but not the fronts. Maybe the fronts are binding slightly? 

Edited by SuperDave

I would of thought if a disc is warped you would feel it most of if not all of the time, could be a wheel balance issue if its only happening at a certain speed

Edited by Markn47

Ok I took on the point on balancing

My local independent tyre place is top guy so he checked it all.

the front o/s wheel was out of balance by 80g and the n/s very slightly. He corrected them both.

He checked both front discs and there are still 1000s if miles left in them and the pads are about a 3rd worn. I had a good look too.

i took the car back out and I think it could be the out of balance wheel. I’m now hyper sensitive and I actually think the ride is hard and i pick up vibrations etc through so of the diobolical roads we have round here.

i thrashed the arse off it this morning.. zipping up to 80/90 and breaking so hard the abs kicked in.. breaking hard from 70/80 down to 40 and I don’t think the issue is there as it was yesterday.

so the jury is out!! But I’m not as concerned as I was.

i appreciate all your help. It doesn’t matter how long you’ve been driving or what you experience is mechanically, to have others help ask questions that prompt thought and suggestion is just why we are all here, so thanks

Tarby

Glad it sounds like you're sorted -  but - I will say ive test thrashed a one year old e90 for a colleague previously who thought his brakes were playing up and there was a wierd feeling he'd get when braking.... turned out to be worn RFTs! Nowhere near the limit either. 

Still doing it. I thought it was ok but I was out over the weekend.

Im going to get all four wheels balanced for peace of mind and then I think I'll replace the front tyres. the backs are only a 1000 or so miles old.

Other than that its going back to the garage I bought it from for them to sort it.

The hubs on these cars tend to rust quickly and that can cause vibration as well. I had to kick both of the front wheels hard to get them off the hub when changing to summers last week, and the winters had only been on for 5 months. Both had quite a bit of rust buildup obviously. I also had a vibration when braking that gradually appeared over those five months.

Taking the wheel off and cleaning the hub with a wire brush might be worth a try.

Edited by Carlton