robsey29

Anyone know the oe supplier for discs and pads?

17 minutes ago, barnesautos said:

My E61 high carbon Brembo discs from george at http://www.roadtrackraceparts.com/ have that coating that keeps them looking fresh . £90 the pair 

No offence to your friend at the website you have mentioned but there is no telephone number on the site, in actual fact there is very little information on this website so would not trust handing over my card details etc 

6 hours ago, SuperDave said:

In common with many small businesses that don't have the manpower for full time telephone team. 

They do have a secure website cert when you login, looks perfectly legit. 

dont see no BMW brake disks he's mentioning though

14 hours ago, robsey29 said:

No offence to your friend at the website you have mentioned but there is no telephone number on the site, in actual fact there is very little information on this website so would not trust handing over my card details etc 

With regard to payment , PayPal is used and requested via email as an alternative option . 

will relay this info to him and see what he can do about that . 

If its of any help to OP, there bmw service site seems to be running an offer on brakes and pads....for my car for example it quote about £309 for a rear brake pad and disc service. Doesn't sound that much more than the parts alone going by parts of this thread I skimmed past?

Site: 

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/##service-options

Edited by Sarjoo

9 hours ago, barnesautos said:

With regard to payment , PayPal is used and requested via email as an alternative option . 

Fair enough I will drop him a email and see what he can come up with. It’s a shame he does not put a telephone number up on his website as that would be a lot easier, if there was ever a problem with the order etc there’s nothing better then picking up the phone and speaking to a human being rather then emailing a waiting for a response if you understand what I mean.

3 hours ago, Sarjoo said:

If its of any help to OP, there bmw service site seems to be running an offer on brakes and pads....for my car for example it quote about £309 for a rear brake pad and disc service. Doesn't sound that much more than the parts alone going by parts of this thread I skimmed past?

Site: 

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/

https://www.bmw-service.co.uk/##service-options

Thanks sarjoo I have just checked that and front pads are £199 front pads and discs are £449 there is no option for just front discs but if my maths are correct it would make front discs £249 fitted which is a steal if that is correct.

43 minutes ago, robsey29 said:

Thanks sarjoo I have just checked that and front pads are £199 front pads and discs are £449 there is no option for just front discs but if my maths are correct it would make front discs £249 fitted which is a steal if that is correct.

They will never quote for discs only as pads must be replaced if the discs are to be replaced. Just makes sense.

2 minutes ago, Matthew Ashton said:

They will never quote for discs only as pads must be replaced if the discs are to be replaced. Just makes sense.

The pads were replaced with genuine Bmw pads just before I brought it so they are more or less brand new.

11 hours ago, barnesautos said:

Messaged my friend and his response was 

Emails are the best way for me to quote for people as it gives me all the info of their car/parts and then I can give a few options. 

I'm not scared of the phone or anything ha . Just if someone rung me and I'm not at my desk and i'm boxing parts up I'd have to scribble down info and then ring them back anyway so makes it not as slick from experience  , so it' just makes it easier for both parties. people can pay over the phone via card, I'd never asked anyone to send card details over an email etc . cheers mate, much appreciated. the site will be getting updated with more parts and hopefully onto a new version of the system so will be even easier for find parts , thanks 

George.

I hope this reassures you guys . 

Tried sending him a request through his contact us page and it will not go through says there is a error please try again later.

2 hours ago, robsey29 said:

Tried sending him a request through his contact us page and it will not go through says there is a error please try again later.

I’ll let him know if the issue , 

you can also get him on FaceBook.

I will get the links .  

10 hours ago, barnesautos said:

Managed to get hold of George but he came in expensive at £270 for a set of brembos, have now ordered the genuine Bmw discs at £217.

Thanks for the info it was worth a try.

10 hours ago, robsey29 said:

Managed to get hold of George but he came in expensive at £270 for a set of brembos, have now ordered the genuine Bmw discs at £217.

Thanks for the info it was worth a try.

Glad to help , was going to say worth a try . Going by the price , they must be some huge discs ? 

13 hours ago, barnesautos said:

Glad to help , was going to say worth a try . Going by the price , they must be some huge discs ? 

They are pretty big 348x36 he did get back to me again with the Zimmerman discs at £156 which is a good price but I had already brought the genuine Bmw discs so will stick with them now.

10 hours ago, robsey29 said:

They are pretty big 348x36 

That's the big disc size, which comes as a left had disc and a right hand disc.  Two different parts, presumably due to the fins for cooling being angled differently.  The caliper is held on with 9mm Allen key bolts with this size of disc.

The 530d with 346 x 30 discs are both the same. Caliper is held on with 7mm Allen key bolts.

BMW also state along with replacing pads at the same time as the discs (as per Matthews advice) that if its over 4 years old, replace the spring clip that holds the pads in place)  BMW workshops don't and I've never replaced one yet and not had any issues.

What flavour of F10 do you have?

22 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

That's the big disc size, which comes as a left had disc and a right hand disc.  Two different parts, presumably due to the fins for cooling being angled differently.  The caliper is held on with 9mm Allen key bolts with this size of disc.

The 530d with 346 x 30 discs are both the same. Caliper is held on with 7mm Allen key bolts.

BMW also state along with replacing pads at the same time as the discs (as per Matthews advice) that if its over 4 years old, replace the spring clip that holds the pads in place)  BMW workshops don't and I've never replaced one yet and not had any issues.

What flavour of F10 do you have?

So I take it the bigger sized discs are only fitted to certain models? 

You are right they are handed discs and I think I have a new spring clip with a set of brand new pads I have in the boot if it is needed.

Mine is a 530d in sport guise.

1 hour ago, robsey29 said:

So I take it the bigger sized discs are only fitted to certain models? 

You are right they are handed discs and I think I have a new spring clip with a set of brand new pads I have in the boot if it is needed.

Mine is a 530d in sport guise.

Yes, but on realoem there is an implication that the bigger discs can be specified as part of an option/upgrade.

My dads F10 530d  MSport has the thinner discs, mine has the thicker discs that are handed.

9 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

Yes, but on realoem there is an implication that the bigger discs can be specified as part of an option/upgrade.

My dads F10 530d  MSport has the thinner discs, mine has the thicker discs that are handed.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The manufacturer for the discs are Brembo.... 

Pads may be textar, but discs are definitely Brembo. 

I'm opting for Brembo discs and pads all round as they need doing soon. 

Another quality option is Pagid. 

They are an oe manufacturer and supply BMW on some other models.