Sign in to follow this  
Hoopyfrood

E60 M5 with a big scare

Well a very brief big scare anyway. ....

Started the beast after it sat for a week and she threw an EML warning and reported she was in "reduced power" mode which I soon figured out was limp home mode. Anyway, very quick initial scare relented quite quickly when it was followed up with a few other random messages pointing towards a low voltage issue. Let her warm up, shut her down and restarted with no issues so it's the usual "pick random crap from the computers and throw at the owner mode" that seems to be a favourite trick for BMWs.

The battery is reasonably newish (couple of years anyway) so I'm not expecting perfection but I was debating the use of a battery conditioner. I do though have a small issue and that's access as I only have street parking. 

Any tips and product suggestions that might be employed? And is there such a thing as a portable battery conditioners that could be used to keep the battery in good fettle? 

What do others owners do? 

Remove the battery and bench charge it for 12-24 hours. It's easier remove the battery from an E60 than E61 with all the cables in the way. I would also read the codes for IBS error. If you are doing alot of short trips then bench charge it every month.

Best bet is to charge it on the car and not remove it, otherwise it won't recognise that it has been charged.

C-Tek would be the way to go. I have left mine for a few weeks at a time without charging and no issues.

cheers

On 29/03/2018 at 9:33 PM, Hoopyfrood said:

....... I do though have a small issue and that's access as I only have street parking.

5 hours ago, zarnd said:

Best bet is to charge it on the car and not remove it, otherwise it won't recognise that it has been charged.

C-Tek would be the way to go. I have left mine for a few weeks at a time without charging and no issues.

cheers

You can register the battery with ISTA/Dis/Tool32. The only inconvenience is frequently removing the battery from the car. I have used this method without any problems.