sams255

F11 Brake disc scoring

As you know over a week ago i had my brake pads done by the dealer. After 1k worth of driving i noticed some scoring on there both sides of disc. I contacted the dealer they said it could be debris there hence the dosc is scored. They said bring it in and we can take a look. But if it turns out to be debris etc then its chargable to look at it.

What do you guys think it could be doggy pads ?? 

Take a look at the pics and let me know

IMAG3014.jpg

IMAG3013.jpg

Are you sure those score marks weren't there before the pads were replaced? The last picture looks like corrosion and scoring due to some debris between the disc and pad, similar with the first picture. Both score marks look old and definitely older than 1 week ago.

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Both score marks look old and definitely older than 1 week ago.

Agree, it's unlikely that debris would be caught between new pads and the disc.

The remainder of the disc surface is very shinny which suggests to me that there is nothing wrong with the new pads. New pads always polish up the disc nicely.

If there is no loss in braking performance I would be tempted to not take it to the dealer and just keep an eye on it. As you drive it more the new pads should polish out those marks unless really deep.

Although if it they were serious marks on the disc BMW would have failed them and wanted to replace them.

I had the pads done a day before i went to Germany and they were clean as BMW said your discs are ok just change the pads. (I have done 1200miles since last week) or could it be debris i picked up in last week shall i get an air gun and blow it out or get wheels pressure washed to clear anything ?   or get Kiwk fit to do a free break check and see what those guys say ? I dont really want to take it to the dealer and they just say yea its debris £100 diagnostics please.

Other then debris could it be anything else

3 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

Are you sure those score marks weren't there before the pads were replaced? The last picture looks like corrosion and scoring due to some debris between the disc and pad, similar with the first picture. Both score marks look old and definitely older than 1 week ago.

DO NOT TAKE IT TO KWIK FIT!

Only use them for the Sunday afternoon emergency puncture. 

Looking at the pictures again both the scores appear to be at the same distance from the hub on both sides. There may be a form of groove in the pad at that position for some reason, so there is no pad surface pressing on the disc at that point. Once the pads wear a bit more it might clear.

I would be tempted to drive another 1000 miles on it and see if they have polished up. 

I really doubt this is due to the new pads. Pads are very difficult to get wrong when fitting as the pad holder and slide are at such fine tolerances. 

@sams255 Looking at that disc, the grove would probably not result in BMW condemning the disc as it will have little impact on braking performance and if the disc is thicker than the minimum tolerance it wouldn't be flagged.

An air gun or pressure washer isn't going to remove any debris as the pads are so close to the disc. The only way is to remove the pad to check but I'll bet that this groove was there before the new pads and it was the old pads that caused it. Like @535i Andrew said, driving it for a fair amount of miles and then checking again is probably your best bet here.  Taking it to BMW will in all likelihood cost you for the examination and for them to tell you, if you are worried, to replace the discs. I would keep my eye on it but if this was my car, I wouldn't be fretting about it. 

If both sides were clear beforehand then it seems a coincidence that both discs now have that scoring. I don't think it will hurt to leave it longer but whatever has caused the scoring in the lower picture is going to take a while to wear out, assuming the cause is gone.

I would take the pads out and have a look.

The only way to settle this is to remove the pads and check. No pad is going to cause that damage in 1 week without the driver hearing a severe grinding noise. And it is on both sides of the car - 2 dodgy pads? I don't think so.

How a pad has a slit that is causing a groove is  beyond me. 

Edited by Matthew Ashton

From the pics I am assuming it is the outer side of the discs on both axles.

As said, needs investigating, particularly the worst one.

2 hours ago, Matthew Ashton said:

The only way to settle this is to remove the pads and check. No pad is going to cause that damage in 1 week without the driver hearing a severe grinding noise. And it is on both sides of the car - 2 dodgy pads? I don't think so.

Agreed, but any reputable garage seeing this damage would of at least informed the customer that a new disc is required no?

Edited by Enzo

Thanks everyone for your input. I will leave it and see how it goes. Car needs an oil service in 3k miles so will see what the condition is like then. If it gets worse then while the car at dealer then get discs changed etc. 

Sounds sensible to me. Another look at particularly the second picture and it looks like surface corrosion rather than a score. It's very difficult to tell, trying to get a good picture thru the alloys isn't easy.

Just had another look and I take it both sides (o/s/r & n/s/r) are shown as scored?

I'd be really surprised being the dealer but I changed the kids Picanto rear pads and discs for similar and it was due to the pads being fitted incorrectly, they have an inner and outer pad and both inners were on the same disc and both outers etc. this led to them not being seated properly and scoring.

Long shot but worth a punt imo, free brake check somewhere would be my course of action.

Just had my free check at Kwik-Fit. The guy was not a teenage kid like the regular staff. He took one look and said it looks like new pads have been put on old discs and there seems to be surface corrosion or maybe slight bit of debris on there from the old pads before they changed it over. He said its not scoring he took off the rear wheels and showed me and i could get a proper feel and he's right.  As I have been cursed with the sausage fingers and large hands it was hard for me to touch the discs through the alloys to check if it was scored. But i suppose optical illusion. Now i can cancel the BMW appointment and have saved myself the embarrassment and a charge for looking at the discs

Reading this thread with interest as a while ago I noticed some light scoring on my discs didn’t worry me that much as all my previous F11 have shown the same scoring. 

Over the the weekend I cleaned the car and noticed the scoring was a lot more pronounced and when I ran my finger nail over them you can feel a definite difference from the rest of the disc. I also noticed I have what appears to be the outline of the brake pads on the disc as if it has bitten onto the the disc and left an imprint in the disc. 

The cars has only done just over 3500 miles from new and just wondering if it needs to go into the dealer or leave it till it goes in for it’s first service in August. 

Cant say I’ve noticed and loss of braking performance or and wobble when braking, just looking for opinions. 

Cheers in advance Steven. 

7 minutes ago, Steveo1 said:

. I also noticed I have what appears to be the outline of the brake pads on the disc as if it has bitten onto the the disc and left an imprint in the disc. 

You will get that after washing it sometimes.  I've had that before on my F10 and E60.  Drive it and it will disappear.