zaphod

Brakes - Disks & Pads

Hi folks, it seems that Boris, my E39 M5, requires new disks and pads - any thoughts on what I should be looking to get? I'd prefer not to spend the earth, but want the Beastie to stop when I want him too..lol

So what should I be looking at, and from where please?

GSF car parts often have 50-60% off on Zimmerman front discs.  If you can use this voucher it's essentially two for the price of one.  I put Zimmerman on mine last year and had no problems so far.  Zinc coated so keeps the surface rust etc down too.  I don't think they stock the rears though.  Front discs are expensive being floating style, 300ish for one disc (voucher comes in handy)

Pads I just use generic ATE as it's just a road car, stops well enough but probably need better for more spirited braking.

Stoptech discs here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stoptech-Slotted-FRONT-Brake-Discs-BMW-E39-M5/232628193582?fits=Plat_Gen%3AE39&epid=4013001038&hash=item3629b8892e:g:IK8AAOSwxu5ZHsSE&redirect=mobile

I know the guy selling them and he's a good lad. Stoptech make bloody good brakes too IMO 

5 hours ago, Jameswsb said:

Have a word with Cotswold on here. Mine were just over £290 for a front set and service was excellent

That's a great price, I paid £240 for OEM 'Ate' front discs awhile back from a supplier in Germany. I haven't looked lately  but expect they'd cost a bit more now. My Ate pads came from ECP....

Just going through the pain now... £228 plus Vat from BMW...

Also it seems Calipers are in short supply at the moment as well ... !!!