Big A

Shocked at trade in value of F11

I like to browse the usual car sale sites and local dealer sites just to see what is out there, but I seen a really nice F30 with a good spec that I have really taken a shine too. 

At first I talked myself out of it, telling myself that the F11 feels better made, is larger, comfier etc., but I kept looking at the F30 and thought, I don't really need a large estate car anymore (although does come in handy), the xDrive would be nice, the performance is good, and that the economy isn't too bad for a petrol. 

So out of curiosity I stuck my car details into an online valuation thingy and was shocked at what the trade in value would be.  Thinking that loosing £4k in a year and half was rather hefty and that the dealer would offer more on actually seeing the car and the condition and options on it, I popped over and they actually offered £170 LESS than the on-line valuation.  Similar examples of my car on-line are going for £2k + more than the valuation! 

Is this just a bad time to trade in or have F10/F11's really fell so low in value?

What engine is your F11? 

If it’s the 520d then there’s more of them than tea in China! 

I had a look on auto trader the other week and got bored and gave up looking as 99.9% of f10/11’s where the 520d I was looking for a big engine version to see if anything took my liking 

Beware of swapping to an F30/31.  
In October I went from an F10 520d to an F31 335dx.  On paper it was the perfect car.

I've just ordered a G31 and lost £7k on the 335.  The issue with the F31 is noise.  It's a great car, but SO noisy!

Just my experience in case it helps....

I was shocked at how cheap F10's are when I picked up a 2011 530D for £11500 with 40k on the clock that was £400 below the PX quote from an online valuation service for the dealer to make any money at all needs to be well less than that. For us used buyers, you get alot of car for the money paid for by the previous owner in depreciation.

Trade in prices seem to be follow what We buy any car offer.  Always remember the price to change is what counts. I part exchanged my Lexus for my F10 and although the trade in price wasn't great the price of the F10 was so the price to change was acceptable The main dealer offered a great part ex price but the F10 there was £2K more than the car supermarket I subsequently bought from.  Price to Change is what counts.

40 minutes ago, capese21 said:

Always remember the price to change is what counts. ........Price to Change is what counts.

This.

As the 520d is really common, older ones suffer from timing chains made from cheese and the world is now thinking Diesels are bad, the trade in value will plummet.  The F10/11 residuals appears to have taken a real hit since the G30 was launched.

56 minutes ago, BRB said:

Beware of swapping to an F30/31.  
In October I went from an F10 520d to an F31 335dx.  On paper it was the perfect car.

I've just ordered a G31 and lost £7k on the 335.  The issue with the F31 is noise.  It's a great car, but SO noisy!

Just my experience in case it helps....

Thanks.  How did you find living with the fit and finish compared to the F10?  I've been in a good few F30/31's and had a brief stint in a 320d GT, and when coming to the F11 it just felt a lot nicer and better place to be.  Although when I had a brand new 218d GT as a courtesy car for a week it felt great, although when I got my F11 back it again felt a lot nicer.  Was this something you missed going from the F10 to the F31, or do you not really notice it after a couple of days?

I didn't loose much on trading my old 1 Series or X3, and never expected to loose nearly £4k in 18 months, especially on a car that was £40k new, even though I am the 3rd owner.

2 minutes ago, Big A said:

Thanks.  How did you find living with the fit and finish compared to the F10?  I've been in a good few F30/31's and had a brief stint in a 320d GT, and when coming to the F11 it just felt a lot nicer and better place to be.  Although when I had a brand new 218d GT as a courtesy car for a week it felt great, although when I got my F11 back it again felt a lot nicer.  Was this something you missed going from the F10 to the F31, or do you not really notice it after a couple of days?

If you're asking these questions, I expect you're like me.  My wife got so sick of me saying "I like it, it's great, but it's not a five series" that she left me.  Actually she didn't, but getting sign-off for the G31 purchase wasn't anywhere near as difficult as it should have been....!  

5 minutes ago, 535i Andrew said:

This.

As the 520d is really common, older ones suffer from timing chains made from cheese and the world is now thinking Diesels are bad, the trade in value will plummet.  The F10/11 residuals appears to have taken a real hit since the G30 was launched.

The timing chain was replaced on mine at the end of last year by your fave BMW dealer, so there isn't the worry of that failing on mine, although this probably won't be taken into account.  To buy my car now after 18 months appears to be £1500'ish cheaper, so would've thought £3k tops would have been the kind of depreciation margin.  To be fair the F30 I fancy is petrol too, but nothing to do with the furore around diesels, just that I fancy petrol again and my annual mileage is probably borderline for a diesel engine.

7 minutes ago, BRB said:

If you're asking these questions, I expect you're like me.  My wife got so sick of me saying "I like it, it's great, but it's not a five series" that she left me.  Actually she didn't, but getting sign-off for the G31 purchase wasn't anywhere near as difficult as it should have been....!  

Thanks again.  Thinking I might be like that myself where I will like it, but constantly comparing it to the F11.  I blame having a ride in a 340i for my indecision!

TBF going from the F31 to the G31 wouldn't be a hard decision for myself either :D 

2 hours ago, Big A said:

The timing chain was replaced on mine at the end of last year by your fave BMW dealer, 

You are lucky you have only lost 4k on it. Having That dealers stamps in a service book should reduce the price even more!

Going form a 5 to 3 will be hard. My mum has a relatively well specced F30 in 2.0 petrol Xdrive flavour and is equipped with winter tyres so I just kept going thru the snow we had recently but It's fit and finish and refinement are below that in my F10.

A 340i in saloon or touring with lots of toys would be very different.

I was given a 330d F30 as a loaner while my car was having some work done, whilst it drove very nicely the interior feels like a big jump down in quality from the F11

9 hours ago, Big A said:

actually offered £170 LESS than the on-line valuation 

Same on the 1 series at trade in. Dealer offered a fair bit less than WBAC. Sell privately will get you the best price, as its always been. I guess dealers will have WBAC price in mind as what they can get as a minimum minus their costs, so effectively they're not subsidising the trade in at all. Probably even making cash on it as the least hassle option for the buyer, as it usually is. 

5 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

You are lucky you have only lost 4k on it. Having That dealers stamps in a service book should reduce the price even more!

Going form a 5 to 3 will be hard. My mum has a relatively well specced F30 in 2.0 petrol Xdrive flavour and is equipped with winter tyres so I just kept going thru the snow we had recently but It's fit and finish and refinement are below that in my F10.

A 340i in saloon or touring with lots of toys would be very different.

There’s actually a fair few of their stamps in my service book.

It’s actually a 2.0 petrol xDrive I’ve seen too, with a really good spec. It’s that fit and refinement that I think I might miss, although there are a few things it has over my F11, like newer Pro Media and iTouch etc.

I’d love a 340i Just for the noise from it alone. My next door neighbour just got an ex-demo F30 335d xDrive that I think had every option box ticked, which is really nice but just misses that 340i burble.

1 hour ago, paperjams said:

I was given a 330d F30 as a loaner while my car was having some work done, whilst it drove very nicely the interior feels like a big jump down in quality from the F11

I hear what you’re saying. The heater and stereo controls were the main thing I felt were a big come down compared to my F11, and the dash clocks just not as nice too.

12 minutes ago, SuperDave said:

Same on the 1 series at trade in. Dealer offered a fair bit less than WBAC. Sell privately will get you the best price, as its always been. I guess dealers will have WBAC price in mind as what they can get as a minimum minus their costs, so effectively they're not subsidising the trade in at all. Probably even making cash on it as the least hassle option for the buyer, as it usually is. 

I need to see how much WBAC would offer on mine just out of interest. I sold my old 1 series privately and although it sold within a week, there were just so many time wasters, so trading is definitely the least hassle.

Talking about build quality, BMW are shit! 

Let me explain, I’m mincing round in a 10 year old E91, we are looking at getting into something newer an faster,  so we went and looked at a M :rolleyes: 135i at our local BMW dealer, as soon as I got in it it felt cheap and tacky compared to our 10 year old rep mobile! And the E91 is not a patch on a 5! 

I then sat in a same year (as the 135i) 3 series and it was just as shit! :( 

i had sat in a couple of M4’s  and M3’s and if it didn’t have the leather dash them to felt cheap!

the 650i GT was on another level though! 

But 1 Series are made to a budget so it's going to feel not as nice as a 5 er in their.

We sat in an X1. Oh my god, the interior was made from wheelie bins. Nope. 

True, I loved my old E87 and being my first BMW it felt great, then I traded for an E83 X3 and it felt a huge come down in feel and quality to the E87, then going to the F11 felt like 3 leagues above. Saying that, I’ve been in the new X3 and it feels a league above the F11, and much the same as the G30.

I might go back for another look at this F30 over the weekend and try and talk myself out of this notion.

23 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

older ones suffer from timing chains made from cheese and the world is now thinking Diesels are bad,

My F10 was 2 years old and has the new engine.  Later euro 6 diesels are still selling but agree residuals have dropped by a few %.

20 hours ago, Big A said:

There’s actually a fair few of their stamps in my service book.

It’s actually a 2.0 petrol xDrive I’ve seen too, with a really good spec. It’s that fit and refinement that I think I might miss, although there are a few things it has over my F11, like newer Pro Media and iTouch etc.

I’d love a 340i Just for the noise from it alone. My next door neighbour just got an ex-demo F30 335d xDrive that I think had every option box ticked, which is really nice but just misses that 340i burble.

I hear what you’re saying. The heater and stereo controls were the main thing I felt were a big come down compared to my F11, and the dash clocks just not as nice too.

I need to see how much WBAC would offer on mine just out of interest. I sold my old 1 series privately and although it sold within a week, there were just so many time wasters, so trading is definitely the least hassle.

I must admit that whilst I'm enjoying the noise the 535d makes, I really do miss the sound of my old 335i!

1 hour ago, goram said:

I must admit that whilst I'm enjoying the noise the 535d makes, I really do miss the sound of my old 335i!

The noise from the 340i is just fantastic. I was sitting in a traffic queue under a motorway underpass and revved it a few times and the sound of it burbling, popping and farting echoing off the walls put a huge grin on my face. Even in sport + as it downshifts when it pops as if it blips the throttle is so nice.

26 minutes ago, Big A said:

Even in sport + as it downshifts when it pops as if it blips the throttle is so nice.

Is it childish that I do that in mine when in traffic?:D