GBS

How good is the E39 compared to newer cars?

E39 -> W212 Merc.

The E39 was slower, more thirsty, noisier, had a worse ride, spent more time needing maintenance and repairs, rustier, had worse tech, was less safe and had less load space.

It definitely had a charm, and I enjoyed the 30k miles I did in it over the couple of years or so I had it, but would I go back? No chance. The Merc beats it in every way.

9 minutes ago, dan101smith said:

E39 -> W212 Merc.

The E39 was slower, more thirsty, noisier, had a worse ride, spent more time needing maintenance and repairs, rustier, had worse tech, was less safe and had less load space.

It definitely had a charm, and I enjoyed the 30k miles I did in it over the couple of years or so I had it, but would I go back? No chance. The Merc beats it in every way.

That's really interesting as I was looking at a W212 Merc not too long ago. But something about the look and road presence of a E39 which I can't get over!

On 28/03/2018 at 7:57 PM, GBS said:

That's really interesting as I was looking at a W212 Merc not too long ago. But something about the look and road presence of a E39 which I can't get over!

Driven several W212 great cars to drive, but IMO they don’t have the charisma of my E39.