Calypso-E34

BMW Car Mag - Why so BUSY?

Why is the cover of my favourite BMW magazine starting to resemble a cheap weekly rag??  Seriously - it’s horrible. 

It used to to be nice and subtle. Now look at it. It’s like the bastard child of Fast Car magazine and the Sunday Sport....

83458263-7045-46B2-B202-D74FA4413281.jpeg

6996C43C-1494-49F6-9509-118ACAFF2235.jpeg

934B43A7-069B-4557-95CF-04024D1F6F1D.jpeg

I gave up on it after it changed publisher. 

I used to regularly take 3 or 4 mags but down to ppc mag and occasionally modern classics now. 

Even octane and evo my holiday reads are getting thin thin on content. A double pack used to last a holiday. 

Maybe ive moved on but in the process of clearing my collection out too. 

I read them on the iPad and TBH generally don't pay attention to the front page

I get that and Performance BMW monthly

They've got to stand out on the shelf haven't they?

Still a decent read, would like to see more projects from Andy. His tips page that was near the back of the mag seems to have changed.

I always rated the original Total BMW higher ... I got sick of the fake owners tales .. Like Luke Woods E34 M5 ( Which was really the magazines motor)

But did enjoy the real readers monthly highs and lows I've not seen the latest BMW car on sale for months. 

Does look horribly similar to the publications below it.

I just down years ago to just Evo. I keep thinking how irrelevant it is on 80% of the pages but I do enjoy it anyway. Even though they print it on shitty thin paper that warps as soon as you look at it.

31 minutes ago, Carl-e34 said:

I always rated the original Total BMW higher ... 

Back when Total BMW was first published, it was my favourite. For years I took both TBMW and BMWCM, as they were quite different, but great. I miss TBMW a lot. It did go downhill a bit as it passed from one publisher to another, and in the end, it was a poor relation to the original. 

Looks like a "clone" of Auto Express. The design is sadly what a lot of media outlets seem to be these days - perhaps it says something of the society they target (all bright colours and little substance for poor attention spans).

Don't read any BMW related mags now.. But do read Practical Performance Car from time to time.. Even the Readers Ride throws up a few interesting motors from time to time :lol: 

26997529098_63766b6f13_o.jpg

39974047485_3d995f2a4d_o.jpg

S,Butler

Edited by ustbutler

8 hours ago, ustbutler said:

Don't read any BMW related mags now.. But do read Practical Performance Car from time to time.. Even the Readers Ride throws up a few interesting motors from time to time :lol: 

26997529098_63766b6f13_o.jpg

39974047485_3d995f2a4d_o.jpg

S,Butler

Show off :)

10 hours ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Back when Total BMW was first published, it was my favourite. For years I took both TBMW and BMWCM, as they were quite different, but great. I miss TBMW a lot. It did go downhill a bit as it passed from one publisher to another, and in the end, it was a poor relation to the original. 

It was terrible towards the end

Edited by Piper

Just got the latest issue of BMW Car magazine.  I just happened to have one from 2009 here too. Not only is the latest format substantially smaller physically, but it has 32 pages fewer than its predecessor - 98 v 130. That’s after taking out Total BMW too. 

I think they need to do better than this to be honest, and I may well stop subscribing and just buy it when there’s something about which I’m interested on offer. 

That said, the cover price has only increased by 10% in that 9 years, so perhaps I’m being a little unfair. 

It's a more competitive market now I suppose. I bet readership is down at least 25%.

I love Andy's stuff and used car reviews and info. Not too keen on reading about Motorsport or the articles they have on stuff like 'how to clean your car' or 'alloy wheel offsets explained' because I can find that stuff on the Web. 

I wanna read about those special cars where that there is less info on the Web about. Those Alpinas, ACSs, Hartge, stuff from Birds, the high end BMW stuff - V12s, V8s. Rare M editions, rare options etc. Stuff you don't see everyday on the road.

Edited by Piper

I'm with you on most of that Chris - Andy's stuff is always interesting - I tend to read the magazine from the back forward.  I'm not a fan of the motorsport stuff either, but I totally get why it's there.  Similarly car cleaning stuff.  What you say about wheel offsets is interesting.  There is a German web site dedicated to BMW wheels, with info on the style number, offsets, what models each wheel was fitted to etc - and it's a great resource.  I'd love to see that included in the magazine as a supplemental booklet.

I like the older stuff - no big revelations there I suppose - but I like seeing the newer stuff too.  As I said before, I used to read both BMW Car Magazine and Total BMW.  They were very different, and I loved them both.  While I still subscribe to BMWCM, I don't think some of the changes are enhancing my experience in any way.

I agree, Andy's BMW  motoring articles are always interesting, and more importantly, very readable. I  particularly like his DIY topics.

Edited by vanhool