inkiboo

Supercharged 540 Touring

Wow... With a touch of TLC, a drop in ride height and some nice alloys; that would be a stunning motor!

I wonder how the auto box coped with the extra power and torque! 

I have a 540i/6T I’d love to supercharge at some point after I’ve sorted out all its other little issues!

m5 power for realistic money there 

2 hours ago, e34m525i said:

I wonder how the auto box coped with the extra power and torque! 

I have a 540i/6T I’d love to supercharge at some point after I’ve sorted out all its other little issues!

m5 power for realistic money there 

Quite a bit of info over on bimmerforums.com and having read through quite a bit of it, the boxes seem to cope absolutely fine

Getting into a habit of keeping them in fresh oil and filters is no bad thing either...

I genuinely think about sorting an ESS kit for mine at times, as well as a K-Sport BBK etc :roll::lol: 

Wow...total sleeper.

I know the 540s really go but i bet its insane when the charger starts singing.

Hi,

That is or was an ABSOLUTE steal at that price ! whoever has got it now surely must be laughing uncontrollably !

I've had the pleasure of being a passenger in a similar Dinan supercharged E39 540i Touring over in Los Angeles and I can confirm that it's a normal 540i when pootling around but an animal once the accelerator is pressed ! it's not 'raucous' or 'rorty' but a more 'muscle' and 'shove' to enhance the original feel of a 540i - thankfully, it's not too loud either however  I'm sure other examples are louder but all depends on which exhaust is fitted. I had first refusal on the car but I didn't have the funds available !. I do know and in contact with the new owner and the car now lives in the NYC area and met him to check it out as it nestles with 6 other supercharged BMW's in his large split level garage ! It had just been converted to 6spd manual too. 

I'd love a S/C'd 540i for sure !

Cheers, Dennis!

Edited by DennisCooper

I would absolutely love to fit a supercharger to mine, but, it's going to remain a dream for the foreseeable.....

And regarding the autobox, as said, they can handle huge power, allegedly the e90 335d and e60 535d were only available in auto as BMW didn't have a manual transmission that could handle the torque....