Parvus

New car questions?

Hi all,

I've recently collected my new 530 Touring (which is fantastic!), but now a few hundred miles in I have a couple of questions, and wondering if people can help/advise?

1) I recently set my Navigation to a golf course which worked fine.  Now every time I get in the car it automatically prompts to navigate to the town near the golf course (approx. 20 miles away).  I never selected this destination/town originally and now always cancelling the prompt.  Does anyone know why this prompts, is it related to Connected Drive, and some learning algorithms?  It's really annoying.

2) When I plan to leave my car I never seem to get a consistent experience with systems shutting down.  On all my previous BMW's I would press Start/Stop once to stop the engine, and a second time to switch off the systems and then easy to know the car is off and I exit and lock.  In my new car, I press start/stop once to stop the engine which leaves all the systems on with music playing etc... the second press does not work, the iDrive is on and the music continues to play.  When I open the door the systems shuts down 'sometimes' based on my configuration choice in the iDrive.  On other occasions, the system does not switch off and music continues to play and only once I leave the car and press the lock button does everything shutdown.  It's annoying because the music is playing loudly which draws attention, and I find myself peering through the glass and listening to ensure everything is turned off.  This happens when I have passengers, but also on my own.  Does anyone know how to ensure the car shutdowns 100% before exiting or 100% when the door opens?  What experience do other people have?

Probably more as time goes by... but any advice welcome.

Thanks,

Matt

Hi Matt,

Not sure about the Nav issue as I have the same thing happening to me but I'll let a more tech minded person explain that conundrum. On the shut down I was a little concerned to begin with but having stood and watched all the systems shut down when the vehicle is locked ( portable hard drive and dashcam included ) it looks like the vehicle runs through a shut down sequence which seems to last a minute or so and then it goes to sleep. Had the vehicle in at the main stealers the other day and given a clean bill of health. Cheers, Andy

What happens if you don't lock the car, will it drain the battery?  I think this is what I'm nervous of, on occasion on those busy days getting the kids out, grabbing bags and coats they left behind, grabbing arts/craft off the front seat because they painted 100 pictures in a day, my phone I left in the wireless charging spot - I have been known to forget to lock the car (:

Joking aside, its the consistency I'm struggling with - works sometimes but not always.  If I can learn how the car intends this too work, I can exit the car with systems off and not look over my shoulder, or check the status in the App or Display Key. 

I think ( could be wrong) that the vehicle will self lock and shut down if left unlocked after a set amount of time. I was sat in mine the other day for a while waiting for a meeting when the audio / nav system shut down on its own (engine off). It may have been about 10-15 minutes. The doors didn't lock as I suspect the vehicle knew the key was in proximity to the receiver in the vehicle or it knew there was a bum on the drivers seat !!. I have no worries about it protecting itself with an auto shut down. I think gone are the days of vehicles draining their own battery.

On my F10 its one press of the stop button, with foot still on the brake pedal, to switch off engine but all systems remain on. Then take foot off brake pedal and press stop button again to switch off systems. Or as stated above all systems will shut down when you lock the car.

Hello gents, all can be changed in terms of your issues.

Nav - go to connected drive with phone plugged in, go to connected drive app and switch off suggested routes. Then go to nav, hit options and route preferences and un tick learn routes. 

Id be inclined to keep both on. Yes it is annoying at first, but give it a couple of weeks.  I took my car to a takeaway few days after delivery, for 2 weeks or so, it was under the impression that I work there and wanted to navigate every morning! Now the app has learnt what time i get to work and what time i should leave based on traffic and which route is best to take. 

System - go to settings, vehicle settings, keys/doors and select as you please. Car will always shut down on closing. However, if you turn of engine and cluster says "off", the cluster itself will shut down after around 5 minutes. iDrive probably takes around 20. 

Options can be changed to shut off as soon as you pull the door handle - if you cant see this, its easily codable

Thanks for the info, and good to better understand the intelligence in regards to Navigation - I'll give it a go and see how it improves.

In regards to locking, I have all the correct settings and tick boxes for shutting down on door opening.  But why does this not always work?  Sometimes I can open the door, system remains on and music playing, only shuts down on key lock.

It will not shut down on door pull if you don't switch off the car. 

For example, you get to your destination, you park up, put the car in Park on gearbox and the engine will shut down. 

You then pull the handle. That will turn the car off( if you pay attention to cluster, you will see it show off)

If you get to your destination, you park up, put the car in Park on gearbox and the engine will shut down, then press the engine stop button and pull the handle, it will turn everything off.

Push and hold the iDrive volume button in 530e turns everything  off - before opening the door.

I accept that it may be different for non-hybrids- but worth a try?

Edited by carrman

I need to test a few more times, but might have a clue why I get the inconsistent switch off when I pull the driver door handle.

It may be related to when my phone has remained in the car, although not wireless charging wondering if it detects it.

1 hour ago, Parvus77 said:

It may be related to when my phone has remained in the car

Only exception where car will not shut down with phone in car is if there is an active call via bluetooth. 

Leaving in charger will cause it to "bong" to remind to take phone but not override a shut down.