Captain Beaky

V8 Tapping Noise

1 hour ago, mumbojumbo said:

Out of interest, if you leave the key primed for 10-15 seconds before firing up the car, does that improve things at all?

I shall try, what would be the reasoning behind this check?

I've only experienced a Vanos rattle on a six cylinder Alpina but I'd have thought it'd sound similar on an M62TU

If it sounds like the videos in real life my money is on it being either Vanos seals or the Vanos check valve. Typical Vanos problem noise sounds very much like a diesel clatter and that's what I think your's sounds like. Timing chain noise is more like nuts in a can as it's lighter stuff rattling. The Vanos rattle is cause by the sprocket rattling on the helical splines on the cam so it's two relatively heavy bits of metal banging. 

Tappet issues on these are far more of a tick and not remotely rattley, I had one on my 540i that would always do it if I'd been spending a long time driving around town. 

This is just my opinion and I could easily be wrong. There must be a decent indy near you who can have a listen and say straight away what it is.

Edited by Oneball

On 4/16/2018 at 10:59 PM, slam said:

Anyone on here got experience of replacing the 540 timing chain and VANOS or know how much it would cost in a garage?

I took my 535i to a BMW Indy a fortnight ago  for a price and he said £2.5k, i thought he wanted to buy it not fix it!

On 4/16/2018 at 5:39 PM, mumbojumbo said:

Out of interest, if you leave the key primed for 10-15 seconds before firing up the car, does that improve things at all?

Bang on Sir!!

I don't know if its a complete fluke or your onto something. Yesterday leaving for work I switched the ignition on and waited for 20 seconds or so and there was nothing, nothing at all!!

Same thing 10 hrs later at work ignition on and waited and bloody hell not a tinkle!

Today done the same thing but pah! rattling tap

What's your rationale for the delay before starting MJ ?

It's not such a massive job it's just that there is lots to come off to get you where you need to be to address the issue.

You wont need the chain just the guides gaskets and check valves and the cam tensioner shoes. If the vanos seals are worn out they will need to be replaced either by the Beisan method or what i did, you will need to see if you need to replace the camshaft distribution piece also.