Hi,

Something you should've researched, evaluated and then decided on prior to booking the flights?!!

Would you book similarly and then ask about what to do in Caracas Venezuela, apart from getting murdered ?!! 

I found this after a 3 second Googly search for 'things to do in Prague' - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g274707-Activities-Prague_Bohemia.html

Cheers, Dennis!

I googled sarcastic twaty reply’s to topics and the first hit was dennis cooper! 

Im pretty sure mr Vanhool is asking for good and bad experience’s and if fellow forum members know of hidden gem’s of bars and restaurants to go to instead of the more touristy places? 

Ive never been but wouldn’t mind going at some point? The only thing I’d suggest is get drunk! 

Dont know where but I’m sure Dennis will tell you to get drunk in a bar..... :rolleyes: 

have fun anyway :D 

Yes, I have heard of Google Dennis, I was looking for any personal experiences or recommendations as per Jay's coment! 

Don't fall out chaps. Lol

It's a great city - depends what you're going for? 

I went on a lads trip in 2015 but still did some cultural stuff - the castle as  the top of the hill, the Communist Museum, and the architecture in the centre is stunning. The food and beer cheap, some strip joints no so!! We did a Segway tour of the city which was brilliant. 

The science and technology museum is worth a look too for some interesting Czech engineering. It's a great city it was cold though. 

Only ever been for 2 x stag do's 10 or so years ago. If this is the type of thing you're going for then St Wenceslas Square seemed to be ground zero for all that stuff.  Don't be afraid to ask the touters about the show with the pregnant midget in a suitcase...

There's a 5 storey night club down on the riverside too that was busy.  

Cheers,

Rob

Thanks for the replies guys, some good ones, I should have mentioned that I have my wife with me.

Did anyone follow the WW2 "Operation Anthropoid" that took place here. It's never been forgotten, possibly because the Germans wiped out the village of Lidice in retaliation.

Been a few times always enjoyed the stay & the people , be warned this time of year can be very cold last time we went in March it was - 10 ! . We went for Xmas last year which was really nice , the Zoo on the outskirts is a bus or taxi ride is worth a visit plenty to see the Jewish quarter is worth a visit on the history side of things very sad though

I went at the beginning of the year and found it truly great... we got a public bus in to the city (Andel) and then walked to the hotel which was on the West bank about 10 minutes from Charles Bridge... (Cost about £1.30 and you buy the tickets in the airport at the Information desk.)

The architecture is stunning and best appreciated at night when the buildings are lit up by flood lights...

Food and drink is pretty good value as long as you don't eat in the real tourist areas near the Astronomical Clock (which is undergoing maintenance).

I would suggest depending on how long you are there to be prepared to do sections of the city. A walk up to the Petrin Tower if you are willing to puff and huff as you walk up the hill. Alternatively there is the funicular railway which will take you up. 

The Jewish quarter is worth a walk around as is the Castle complex, good foot wear is a must - although you can get buses or trams to most places.

There was also a tour company offering sight seeing in "old cars" which looked like they'd been mocked up in someones shed, but they give a quick if expensive view of the town. 

Charles Bridge is wonderful if a little crowded by hawkers during the day...

I'm hoping to go back at some stage as it was almost overwhelming as to how much there is to do and see, for me it was the architecture with some of the churches being truly astounding...

There are plenty of odd "museums" but we simply didn't have time to venture in to them ... 

Loads of high end brand shops near the Old Town Square which are worth a cursory look in... but hide your credit card!!!

You can get the obligatory river boat cruise but in all honesty having a map and keen sense of adventure of wandering around is probably better value.

Here's a few pictures to whet your appetite...

Petrin Tower

DSC_0014.JPG.12b40c1550cd2e19475b6e691dea3407.JPG

Beef Goulash in a baked loaf

DSC_0026.thumb.JPG.c87e41ce3d7289066d56fda5d86d5b8b.JPG

Memorial to the Holocaust

DSC_0003.JPG.657ab6e9525967198ab1066e00407632.JPG

Looking down on the City from the Petrin Tower side

DSC_0030.thumb.JPG.942090acf17bcaf80054b9a2e49e9598.JPG

Strahov Monastery

DSC_0034.thumb.JPG.5aeb7130edb1be3127d0604ba82a1369.JPG

Prague Castle

DSC_0046.thumb.JPG.e0ad138043f4c4ac283d136f0c134152.JPG

Edited by Seesure

19 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

I googled sarcastic twaty reply’s to topics and the first hit was dennis cooper! 

Im pretty sure mr Vanhool is asking for good and bad experience’s and if fellow forum members know of hidden gem’s of bars and restaurants to go to instead of the more touristy places? 

Ive never been but wouldn’t mind going at some point? The only thing I’d suggest is get drunk! 

Dont know where but I’m sure Dennis will tell you to get drunk in a bar..... :rolleyes: 

have fun anyway :D 

Carlton%20Dance_zpsaw0uetuc.gif

Vanhool - Yeahhh%20_zpscby1zj5e.gif

Cheers, Dennis!

My wife is Czech so I go to CR a few times a year. Prague is great.

Prague Castle, Charles Bridge, Wenceslas Square, most of the old town is worth wandering around. There is a clock in the main town square (can't remember the name) which is worth going to and loads of bars to frequent, House of Mirrors etc...

cheers

2 hours ago, zarnd said:

There is a clock in the main town square (can't remember the name) which is worth going to 

LOL - The Astronomical Clock... getting there for 11 or 12 O'clock is the best time to view it...to see all the apostles making an appearance in the window...

DSC_0055.thumb.JPG.8e6e8b10f9aef409fc6f86115327dbd1.JPG

We had a university field trip to Prague in about 1997 - had a brilliant time and all sorts of mischief, second visit was with the wife in 2004 both trips very different but as said a great city to wander about and would happily go again.

On 13/03/2018 at 5:46 PM, duncan-uk said:

We had a university field trip to Prague in about 1997 - had a brilliant time and all sorts of mischief, second visit was with the wife in 2004 both trips very different but as said a great city to wander about and would happily go again.

For sure it is a great city to visit, if you are planning on going again, leave it a few months as the Astronomical Clock tower is under going renovation, and is covered in scaffolding.

Edit currently removing the scaffolding.

Edited by vanhool
Spelling

Well, at the airport now had a brilliant few days did the hop on hop off tour, a couple of museums, Charles Bridge, Old Town Sq, Wencelass Sq, and a few nice meals, and beers (cheaper than Paris), and burnt a fair bit of shoe leather. If you like a city break then I can recommend Prague.

Lastly, thank you all who posted tips on here, including humorous skits.

Ta Steve

20180315_101725.jpg

20180315_095707.jpg

20180312_194552.jpg

20180314_095951.jpg

20180313_143306.jpg