duncan-uk

E39 washer jets

Washers give a couple of days ago. Low level warning comes up so filled up with garage ready mix as usual. 

Today i I get a little squirt but that's it. Can hear pump and pulling stalk dies same again. Quick squirt then nothing. 

Thouhts?

Check the under-bonnet lining and see if it’s soaking wet with screen wash. 

The pipes on mine (that run up from the wing and up behind the bonnet) had all gone dry / brittle and would just fall off the washer jet nozzles as soon as you tried to use them. Just bought some cheap rubber line from a motor factors and replaced it all and been perfect since. 

Edited by chicaneuk

I'll take a look. What puzzling is I'm getting a spit each time where as I'd expect a break to affect one nozzle not both or have no fluid. 

Pretty sure mine would do the same.. the pipe on the other side was connected but I think so the initial pressure would squirt out a bit but then it all just squirts out the leaking line. 

+1 for brittle broken pipes. I bought the section from the wing up to the jets from BMW for about €19.

If not the pipes fallen off then our e46 had the same issue and the inlet filters to the pump were clogged up with some damn nasty blue sludgy cr4p!  Guess it was years worth of something falling out of the water/screenwash mix.

Smelt 'orrible and was probably pretty bad for you!

20 hours ago, stevecvo said:

+1 for brittle broken pipes. I bought the section from the wing up to the jets from BMW for about €19.

Any garden centre will sell clear rubber hose for a couple of quid. Save the pennys and all that...

2 minutes ago, Marc_86 said:

Any garden centre will sell clear rubber hose for a couple of quid. Save the pennys and all that...

I think a few folk have used stuff that people use for fish tanks and maybe even the narrower gauge fuel piping etc... It's all pennies compared to the OEM stuff that goes brittle soon enough...

Even Halfrauds sell the stuff cheap enough!

21 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

I think a few folk have used stuff that people use for fish tanks and maybe even the narrower gauge fuel piping etc... It's all pennies compared to the OEM stuff that goes brittle soon enough...

Even Halfrauds sell the stuff cheap enough!

Yup that's what i was referring to. The stuff i got was very close to the diameter of the old oem stuff.

I agree that it could be aged plastic pipe that has fractured.. Another cause may be that If it's cold enough, which it has been last few weeks, water in the pipes freezes and they disconnect from the nozzles in the bonnet. 

I have had this problem regularly in winter with both E39's I've owned. 

Solution is to lift the soundproofing under the bonnet where the washer nozzles are and if the connectors have popped off just push them back on.

I've just joined the forum and this is my first post so I hope it's helpful. 

All the above with the tubing.  If not that then the washer reservoir tank sits behind the front driver wheel.  

To gain access remove the inner arch liner and carefully pry out the pump and clear the nozzle.  Also, make sure water leaves the reservoir as a stream without any blockage whilst the pump is out, and don't loose any rubber seals whilst removal.

No special tools required, just be carefull with brittle plastics and tubing.

Sleeve the replacement house and put a small jubliee clip on, or use zip ties (if using proprietary rubber hosing). I had an issue where the rubber was heating up, getting soft, and blowing off again...

The clear garden/aquatic hose that i used is so tight you cant even pull it off the nozzle...i literally had to slice it with a knife and then pull it off.

Prior to fitting soften it in a cup of boiling water for a few mins and then push it on. Once it cools and hardens up again (oooo aye) its very secure. But as suggested...a cable tie/jubilee clip in addition wont harm anything.

Ah you had better luck than me then! I bought a roll of proprietary Halfords stuff. I had to warm it in a cup as you describe to push on, but some of the connections presumably get exposed to greater underbonnet temperatures (or from the heated washer nozzles) and popped back off!

33 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Ta, drivers side right?

Yup; you'll see it as soon as you peel the liner back ;) 

I'm thinking about tackling a similar job by replacing the entire hose (bmw sell the hose as one piece instead of individual bits). 

It looks like you have to remove the wheel too for better access. Is there a method to to this job with wheel in place?