Milo

Lear Amps

What are they ? Is this the DSP equivalent of my BM54 ? Can I use this in place of my failing BM54 ? 

(learning all the time :lol:)

I suspect that they are as expensive as their jets.  Unless someone is giving it away, I would suggest you forget it.

Lear is one of the OEM suppliers of the Hi-Fi/Top Hi-Fi (DSP) amps to BMW, along with Phillips, Loewe, and another I cant remember. My DSP amp is a Lear. It is not interchangeable with the BM54, which is essentially the radio, it is an extra component - separate 'power amp' in the optional higher spec audio systems. So you could have...

Basic audio system which has BM54 radio (or earlier BM24) and speakers are connected directly to the radio using its own built in a bit crappy amplification, or

Hi-Fi system in which the same radio connects to a separate amplifier which drives more and slightly better speakers with a bit more power, or

Top Hi-Fi (aka DSP) in which the radio connects to a more fancy amplifier with an EQ and advanced (for the 90s!) DSP effects like being in a 'church' or 'hall', and that has more power than the Hi-Fi amp and drives again slightly better quality speakers and even a sub under the parcel shelf.

You could retrofit Hi-Fi or DSP into a car without it but it's quite a job requiring amp, all speakers, loads of wiring, coding, etc etc, and the parts are harder and harder to find and getting pricey, but it has been done by guys on here, and you get to stay OEM. Piper is the expert I believe! But aftermarket components is probably an easier and cheaper way to get an audio upgrade if you don't mind being non-OEM.

If you just have a dodgy BM54 and want to fix it, best just replace like for like with a working/rebuilt one. Check first if you really have a BM54 or 24 - most will have 24 as change date is 2002 if I recall.

Edited by Liam79

Ok thanks for that.

Yes I think my BM54 is going and I am going to send this off to Carphonics for an upgrade.

Seems like nearly every component on my audio side is giving up.

Thankfully I recently purchased a new Nav screen due to pixel issues and also picked up a mk 4 nav drive (because my old one will not eject) but the seller also has a Lear amp hence the question.