cib24

Aux cable with casette tape in dash?

I am planning to use this car for a trip to the Scottish Highlands at the end of March and we will end up covering about 2,000 miles over 10 days. 

I need some tunes and this car came with a 6 disc CD player in the boot which is no longer there, and in the centre dash is a cassette player. I have seen online how to add a aux cable if you have a single CD player in the centre dash but is the process the same for one with a cassette player? Using the same kind of cable and modification to the pins?

I know you can get cheaper versions of this if you are modifying the single-CD player in the centre dash:

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-BMW-E39-E53-Auxiliary-Audio-Connection-Retrofit-Kit-Cable-65120153502/252844266504?hash=item3adeb15408:g:My8AAOSwhQhY46~-

31340930009_large.jpg.cbe8a0e66041d9c1329830a280584482.jpg

Why not just buy another CD changer? Is all the wiring there where it should be?

Think I may have one with its cage in the garage if you want it; just cover postage... 

Well, I don't use CD's nowadays like most people and I would prefer to just plug my phone in and cycle through my music on there.

This is a great video to show how to install an aux cable on a single CD unit, but I'm not sure if the casette unit has the same wiring setup and if I can use the same adapter to install an AUX cable, or if there is another method. Hence, why I am asking the question here before buying the kit and taking the centre console apart:

Edited by cib24

Hi,

Save yourself all the faffing around and time wastage. 

Given it's a low quality aux in connection that you seem to only want temporarily anyway, just get an FM transmitter thing and it'll send any audio to the radio stage instead. No cutting or working out which CD player or cassette unit will work in the car let alone if the one you buy is faulty etc which you'll only discover once everything is apart!  

Cheers, Dennis!

^^ As above

This is the one in the wife's Jazz: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-bluetooth-Obstaro-Transmitters-Smartphone-Black/dp/B077XTVKXZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1520689376&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fm+transmitter+car&psc=1

Even though her car as Aux in; it's easier for her to connect via Bluetooth and play her 'toons' that way

Fair enough. I'm not necessarily looking for a low quality connection though if I can help it. Just trying to update the connectivity on the car to allow MP3s to be played from the phone. Bluetooth compatibility would be great but I'm not ready to put in an aftermarket head unit and ruin the aesthetic of the centre console.

I'll look into that though and I guess I'll take the cassette player out and see what's behind it.

3 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

^^ As above

This is the one in the wife's Jazz: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Transmitter-bluetooth-Obstaro-Transmitters-Smartphone-Black/dp/B077XTVKXZ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1520689376&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=fm+transmitter+car&psc=1

Even though her car as Aux in; it's easier for her to connect via Bluetooth and play her 'toons' that way

Thanks that's actually a neat solution but out of curiosity how do these sound? What's the equivalent MP3 bitrate? Obviously, it won't be as good as a CD.

7 minutes ago, cib24 said:

Thanks that's actually a neat solution but out of curiosity how do these sound? What's the equivalent MP3 bitrate? Obviously, it won't be as good as a CD.

It won't but it sounds fine IMO

Not as good as the Kenwood Bluetooth head unit in my 530i; but then again, OEM solutions are never that good, more so in a car this age. Adding an AUX in won't improve the sound as the head unit is already poor etc

But it's an easy, smooth to use and cheap way of adding a source that cannot be wired in etc

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'll go down that route or go down the old fashion casette tape aux cable adapter.

Mind sharing a photo of how your Kenwood unit looks in your centre console? Perhaps there is a nice solution that site behind the faux wood panel and still allows you to use the features of the multi-function display below it?

I purchased something similar to this on eBay. It was under £30 and connected to CD unit plug in the back of the car. From this I threaded 5M lead with a 3.5mm plug on the end to into the little cubby box with the slide lid just behind the handbrake. Still working well some 2 years on.

25 minutes ago, cib24 said:

Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'll go down that route or go down the old fashion casette tape aux cable adapter.

Mind sharing a photo of how your Kenwood unit looks in your centre console? Perhaps there is a nice solution that site behind the faux wood panel and still allows you to use the features of the multi-function display below it?

Mine did have the MID yours has; but it's the same principle:

It's about 2/3 way down the 2nd page

Has anyone done something similar to Will Holman (of ppc and poster here) and soldered an aux in cable (Bluetooth receiver on his case) direct to the tape output inside a head unit? 

Ok you lose the tape functionality but for a cheap lead it might be a neat solution?

Hello, I also have the business cassette with the CD changer. I've got a connects2 aux kit, can't remember which one it is on the link. 

The aux input is played on the CD mode.

http://www.connects2.com/products/aux-adapters/vehicle/BMW/5-Series.

Sound is quite good to be honest, at one point I also had a Bluetooth adapter connected to it.

The only thing I would suggest is to upgrade the aux cable.

Good luck 

Edited by Qasimahmed