BRB

Wheels vs brake size - Winter wheels and tyres

Gents, (and any lurking ladies)

Does anyone know whether a set of 18 inch BMW rims (like the 400m) will fit on a G30/31 with M Sport brakes?

I know that M Sport brakes on an F30/31 mean that 18's are the minimum despite smaller wheels being available for cars without the bigger brakes.

I'm looking at a cheaper set of wheels for winter tyres.  18's are much easier to source and the tyres are much cheaper.

Thanks.

Different offsets compared to old F series cars so wills not not fit across

Yeah, was just looking at that, thanks.  So 619 or 643 style have the same offset.  Questions remains - will they clear M Sport brakes?

Minimum for MSport brakes will be 18 inch 

There are a few sets of 662m wheels now available secondhand.  These appear to be mixed - 8j and 9j.  I assume this is standard on 520 MSport models.

For winter tyre choice, the 8j is good.  245/45 R18 on run flat at a sensible price and with some choice.  The 9j seems to be an issue.  Selection of 275/40 (or 35) is really limited and very expensive.

Are other styles (619 or 684) also mixed?

BMW appear to supply a square set of 8j wheels with 245/50 tyres as winters.  That's different to OE summers and therefore limits the secondhand market.

Any ideas?

Update.

Just bought a set of 684s with TPMS and Cinturatos.  £800 - removed from a new car.  Hoping they're as expected on collection.......!

Does anyone know how things will work with TPMS?

I'm expecting that the new units will only work with the car after coding.  

Questions:
- If I leave the new sensors uncoded, what happens when I swap wheels and leave the coded sensors (on the original wheels) in the garage?

- If I code the new wheels, how does the car differentiate between the Summer and Winter wheels?

Thanks in advance.

If it is anything like the F series cars then just swap the wheel over to another set of wheels with TPMS. It does take a good few miles and different speeds for the system to update, but there is no coding or any programming, it just simply self learns. 

Never been an issue with mine, but prepared it does take a few miles for the system to "update" to the new wheels. Hopefully BMW have not changed it on the new G as it was (and is) a very good aspect of the F series cars unlike many other manufacturers.

I have done the same - bought a set of 19 inch wheels to use as winters rather than swap tyres on 20 inch. I had no issues with TPMS - just calibrate in idrive then go for a drive. G30 530d xdrive. 

Thanks gents,  that's great.  No more cost at this stage.  Just have a set of delivery milage Pirelli 18" run-flats to sell now.

Our Christmas trip to Slovenia is getting sorted!  Winter tyres were another obstacle, now overcome.  :)

If anyone is looking for a set of 245/45 R18 tyres, these are surplus to requirements and going cheap.  They have only been on the car from the factory until they were swapped out for the new wheels at the dealer before collection.

Hi...........Regarding your tyres for sale, can you please confirm the brand, your location & your asking price?

Thanks,

Peter

23 hours ago, corripeter said:

Hi...........Regarding your tyres for sale, can you please confirm the brand, your location & your asking price?

Thanks,

Peter

Hello Peter,

They are Pirelli Cinturato P7 runflats. Standard BMW factory fit.

I'm in Norwich, but pass MK regularly.

I put them on Gumtree for £300. It seemed fair, as they appear to be around £150 each online.  Happy to discuss, mind.

Let me know if they are of interest. Many thanks, Ben