Sign in to follow this  
Piper

F01 730d or F10 520d? Plus what are your three must haves?

Considering starting my new car search, either a F01 730d or an F10 or F11 520d.

Why not a 530d you ask? Because for my commute, (60 mile motorway round trip five days a week) a 2.0 litre turbo diesel is all the car I need. If there was a 720d i'd buy it.

Three must haves - heated comforts, individual audio, professional nav

Would appreciate any links to matching cars for sale.

What are your 3 must haves. Just 3!

Edited by Piper

You have WAY more experience of Sevens than I have Chris, but I have an F10 and to be honest, I'm not sure I would want a car the size of the F01 if you're going to be on crowded roads, or need to park it in tight places.  The F10 I'm told is the same size as an E32 Seven - in other words, it's quite a big car.  You'll get the engine you want, and there are THOUSANDS of them out there for sale - chances are you won't have to look too hard to find the spec you want.

On the other hand, the F01 will mostly have more kit, and although there are much fewer of them around, the specs will be good.

Must haves for me?  Man of simple tastes here!  Electric heated memory seats, decent sound system and decent headlamps - xenon, LED or whatever you get now.

Edited by Calypso-E34

Have you considered a F30? 

I would be going F01 as even the basic ones have everything. The 520d you'll want to avoid the dodgy timing chain issue which means your well in to decent F30 territory or older but more well spec'd F01. 

3 must haves

minimum of 6 cylinders

Heated comfort seats

Adaptive Xenons.

You don't need pronav for a daily commute, assuming you can remember which way to drive each day.;)

Id rather a 6 pot 7 than a 4 pot 5 but.... 530d vs 730d I would probably stick with the 5 as its already a big old bus to park. I've never been in a 520d so I've no idea what they are like, plenty of other 4 cylinder diesels though.

On 09/03/2018 at 5:36 PM, paperjams said:

I've never been in a 520d so I've no idea what they are like, 

Awful, I've driven two, both manual and both horrid to drive on twisty Scottish B roads. Too short a useful rev range so you are constantly changing gear. Driving on a traffic free motorway is effortless and impressive mpg if you want that sort of thing. Stop Start traffic wasn't much fun as the clutch was very heavy IMO.

With an 8 speed auto to allow them to stay in the sweet spot they would be far better. But it will still sound like a tractor with its 4 cylinders.  The 6 pots sound so much better.