Yokozuna

Opinions please....

Today we went and looked at a M135i at my local BMW dealer, we’ve not drove it yet as we where pressed for time.

we looked it over and started it up an all that but when I got in it I thought it felt very cheap and I’ve got a 10 year old E91 that’s got a rip in the steering wheel! 

Been considering a new(ish) 330d touring only coz the 335d is out of budget, not been in one yet to compare but hopefully it’ll be better than the E91? 

So my question is, does the level of fitment/build increase with model number?

Ie

1 series = not very good

2 series= slightly better

3 series = better again 

and so on until you get to the flag ship 7er? 

Oh seen the new 6 series gran tourer today, that looks fantastic! It looks all wrong but that makes it look fucking ace! 8) 

Edited by Yokozuna

I had an M135i and loved it. Makes a great noise and gives plenty of smiles per gallon. I would pick it over a diesel any day.

I drive a Golf R now and I prefered the M135i. Especially the 8 speed auto, its far smoother than the VWs DSG 6 speed.

I’m not after what would you rather buy a 135i or a 330d, I mean the build quality does it increase with the series numbers or are they all poo or am I being to cynical? 

Oh and I’m well aware of the 135i as the brother in law had one ;) 

but thanks for your input 

It definitely increases with the number, otherwise they'd struggle to convince you as to why the next model is X thousand more and worth it! Same as the Mercs, unless the C series is a C63 AMG or top end other version, the interior doesn't look as good as you'd expect or hope.

I'm not so sure, I think the quality is similar through the range. Surely they reuse the same parts for lots of cars.

I'm sure the finish of the dash on a 760 is better than a 1 series, but all the buttons, steering wheels, gear shifter etc are used all along the range?

3 series always feel better screwed together than the 1 series. Just a bit more solid but that could just be down to the 3er being a bigger car which gives it that impression. It'll have more sound deadening etc in it too. 

What about a 335i?

5 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

3 series always feel better screwed together than the 1 series. Just a bit more solid but that could just be down to the 3er being a bigger car which gives it that impression. It'll have more sound deadening etc in it too. 

What about a 335i?

^^

This, this and this...

Sod the dirty fecking oil burner

335i yes please! There’s a few things that it can/can’t be,

over 5 years old had less than 3 owners has got less than 100k on it and no more than really £18k we can go up another 14 but I’ve drawn the line at 18k! 

Also it can’t look like every other rep mobile on the rd! 

Was looking at one with a M performance kit on it and rear diffuser, that looked ace! But it had horrid interior....

It’s looking like the F series, I’m up for a E92 335i/d as they are pennies and you can get them up there with their bigger badder V8 brother....

but she’s all I want the newest shape we can get.....

fecking women! :rolleyes: 

Just now, Yokozuna said:

It’s looking like the F series, I’m up for a E92 335i/d as they are pennies and you can get them up there with their bigger badder V8 brother....

but she’s all I want the newest shape we can get.....

fecking women! :rolleyes: 

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201802163780792

Tell her to sell a kidney and go for that? I'd get out of the way of that on the motorway.

Yep - the quality lessons the lower down the range you go. Much more so than in the 1990's. 

I'd like an F31 as is a better size (about the same as the old E39) but the lack of refinement in comparison to the 5 is noticeable.

I like the idea of a M135/140i but only really looks good in white 3 door form and by all accounts it needs the Birds suspension and LSD mods to stop it pogoing down the road!

Its always been thus - compare an e30 with an e28, e36 with a 34, e46 with a 39.

Ive had the above side by side (never owned an e30 but driven a few) and year on year the 5 is always better.

I can understand the 5, 6 and especially the 7 being head and shoulders above the rest but I didn’t expect a 3 year old (what is basically the top of the range) 1 series to feel shitter than our shit bin E91....

just goes to show how much these things are built down to a budget these days 

I feel build quality in general for the prestige car range has dropped, more so for BMW. Where as for the likes of Ford and Vauxhall (before Peugeot take over) their quality has improved some what. 

Prestige cars have just become more plastic, with BS marketing hype of saving the environment and keeping the cars lighter, when the real reason is just to keep build cost low and profit margins high.

Slightly off topic I know, but didn't want to pass the opportunity for quick rant.  

58 minutes ago, Mr_530i said:

I feel build quality in general for the prestige car range has dropped, more so for BMW. Where as for the likes of Ford and Vauxhall (before Peugeot take over) their quality has improved some what. 

Prestige cars have just become more plastic, with BS marketing hype of saving the environment and keeping the cars lighter, when the real reason is just to keep build cost low and profit margins high.

Slightly off topic I know, but didn't want to pass the opportunity for quick rant.  

Not off topic at all! :) 

and if the E39 was being built today I’d have one but seems as they are very old now then that’s a phat no unfortunately....

Update us with how you get on.. I'm currently in an e91 also and have set my heart on a m135i as it's replacement. Are they really that cheap n nasty inside?? ☹

Im mostly worried about room in back for the kids..

Well we took the closer look and it had no front end on it! :shock: 

apparently it had a broken air duct from where a bird had been struck....

all 3 of us could get in but it’s quite a bit smaller than the E91! Obviously the 3 is a touring.

The rear leg room is ok for our 3 year old but I’d say if you and or your wife/partner is over 5”10 then you will struggle with a 5 year old and up in the back.

The boot is almost as big as the E91! :shock: 

the plastics are indeed now made to a budget as i compaired it to a F30 3 series of the same year (14 plate) and it felt just as poo :( 

I might be over critical but its just a bit of a let down and it’s like feeling a bit cheated! Why should I accept a poor standard of interior finish....

Well it seems if you want to drive a modern BMW that’s not in the executive range then you gonna need to except it.....

I drove a 1 series recently as a courtesy car, and apart from the seat not being wide enough for my fat arse, I thought it was OK.

HOWEVER

While I'm here, let me tell you all what I really dislike in a car - HARD, CHEAP PLASTICS.  I was horrified to find some of this in my F10 525d.  When a passenger gets out of the front seat, the seatbelt buckle returns to the side - and rattles off the hard plastic cover on the lower B pillar.  I wouldn't expect to see this in a mid range Ford, never mind a BMW 5 Series.

Bring back the E39 interior materials......