Chris28

Checking a cars spec

I am on the look out for a 540i M Sport. Theres a few out there in my price bracket. Though I wanted to check that they are in fact M Sports and not just Sports. As I think I'm right in thinking the M's have a better suspension?

Anyways, I tried typing a few registrations into a reg check website. Everyone of them comes up as a 540i Sport only. Its also the same on the BMW warranty website.

So is there any ways to check if the cars are an M Sport with only the reg?

Hi,

If you mean an E39, then no, there's no 'M Sport' models that were UK spec. You'll have the 'SE' and 'Sport' models.

Buy the best condition 540i you can even if it's an 'SE' version as you can always 'add' on the Sport bits and pieces later. Check the usual areas of issues with these models for the engine and cooling system aspects and then all the common E39 issues too. 

Don't get too hung up on spec or colour, there weren't very many 540i's sold in the UK overall, so you'll need to include the whole country as part of your searches and be willing to travel to opposite ends of the country when you decide to view one in the metal. The manual ones are very rare so be prepared to pay a premium for one but not at the expense of overlooking condition and common issues ..

Good luck!

Cheers, Dennis!

Which model are you referring to? 

I seen 2 540i G series this afternoon in the BMW dealership I visited 

both used approved one was £40k I wasn’t paying to much attention to them if I’m honest both 67 plates

Ah! Because the add’s that state M-sport are put up by idiots! :lol: 

yeah as dennis has stated the E39 M-sport is a myth....

4 minutes ago, DennisCooper said:

Hi,

If you mean an E39, then no, there's no 'M Sport' models that were UK spec. You'll have the 'SE' and 'Sport' models.

Buy the best condition 540i you can even if it's an 'SE' version as you can always 'add' on the Sport bits and pieces later. Check the usual areas of issues with these models for the engine and cooling system aspects and then all the common E39 issues too. 

Don't get too hung up on spec or colour, there weren't very many 540i's sold in the UK overall, so you'll need to include the whole country as part of your searches and be willing to travel to opposite ends of the country when you decide to view one in the metal. The manual ones are very rare so be prepared to pay a premium for one but not at the expense of overlooking condition and common issues ..

Good luck!

Cheers, Dennis!

I live in Northern Ireland so I've had to travel to England for a couple of cars in the past. There aren't any 540s in NI at the moment so I've only been looking at England.

I have my heart set on an Oxford Green one since my dad used to have one in that colour when I was younger. Theres one for sale atm in Scotland but it has accident damage along one side. So will need a couple of grand spent on it replacing panels and doors etc. What you think?

https://www.gumtree.com/p/bmw/bmw-540i-sport-e39-spares-or-repair/1288994989

6 minutes ago, Yokozuna said:

Ah! Because the add’s that state M-sport are put up by idiots! :lol: 

yeah as dennis has stated the E39 M-sport is a myth....

Ok cool, good to know. Thats just increased the amount of cars to choose from. B)

As on another post; only in the US did they get an M-Sport and they were 2003 models IIRC

Only Sports over here and then the M Sport started with the E60s onwards ;) 

2 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

As on another post; only in the US did they get an M-Sport and they were 2003 models IIRC

Only Sports over here and then the M Sport started with the E60s onwards ;) 

That explains the M Sport cars I've seen on youtube then. :rolleyes: 

Thanks for your help!