kjb1

New e28 Purchase / steering wheel help

Hi all, not been on here in a while.  Recently purchased my first classic BMW.  Its a 525e auto on a 1985 plate.  In Bronzit.  Not my first choice in terms of colour, but its growing on me I have to say:

Its currently in the process of having an m52b28 engine fitted, along with a manual ZF gearbox conversion, and m50 inlet manifold mod.  EWS delete, and slight remap.  The car in question currently has a rather large bus style steering wheel.  I have found an Mtech1 wheel which was originally off an e28 535, but was removed and fitted onto an e34.  My question is, will this wheel fit my car splines? my car was registered April 1985, I called Fritz Bits today and they seem quite confident it will fit my steering Column.  However i am reading other posts online saying that the e28 was coarse spindle up until Sept 1985, not 1984 as Fritz Bits guys suggested.  Can anyone help out here?

Pics of wheel attached below 

Thanks for reading

9F5EA4FA-48B9-497A-B2E7-49FCE7C449BB.jpeg

C5C6CC61-8564-4B53-90C9-AACD520B0096.jpeg

6405C744-A49C-4124-A002-144F8E0FF848.jpeg

95D9C807-B4B6-48B1-837A-560F272BE301.jpeg

DD15E75F-137C-40DA-A372-70EEE6E7282D.jpeg

64F09A86-7E96-4036-A035-17E49A44C2A4.jpeg

2DE9558D-77A0-4544-919C-9B18671AAC01.jpeg

AB1DA246-B62F-44B3-B844-3367D077EF14.jpeg

69BD33EB-4185-492A-9C49-121B75F6CE11.jpeg

Edited by dan101smith
Remove unauthorised advertising

Car is on BC coilovers, wont remain that low, as I am thinking of Dailying this.  e34 540i front brake conversion as well along with engine conversion.  Body work all being addressed, and rear bbs spoiler being fitted, with a Zender front splitter, and that will be it complete hopefully.

Car is already raised up a bit.  Awful rear window stickers will be completely removed I should add :)

Hi Mick

That is great news!! so what we are saying here then, is chances are, my 85’ 525e will prob be fine spline like yours.  Phewfff! I feel like I got the wheel very cheap @ £50?? they seem to be a lot more on ebay.    Car is currently miles away from me in Garage having all works done, hence me not being able to check.  Looking forward to losing the bus wheel.  Thanks for replying, your car looking very clean and tidy, bet you love it! love the colour aswell.

Edited by kjb1

Hi mate,

Lovely looking car :)  Welcome to the shark club !

Coarse splines up to Sept 85 fine splines after...mine is April 85 and has coarse ;)

15 minutes ago, Splondike said:

Hi mate,

Lovely looking car :)  Welcome to the shark club !

Coarse splines up to Sept 85 fine splines after...mine is April 85 and has coarse ;)

So I need a coarse spline wheel then?? gutted.  

Unless I change the rack aswell? to a fine spline one that is?

Is £50 a good pickup on those tech1 wheels?

You have a steering box not a rack ;) and not worth the aggro.  I am sure you will be able to find one.

I reckon £50 was pretty good, I would guess that a coarse one may be slightly dearer as less about :(

Besides the bus wheel is cool :P

Right ok, steering box :).  Well im just thinking with engine out it shouldnt be too much of an issue to swap “box” out.  That wheel Ive picked up looks to be fine spline I guess yes ??

Hmmm wonder where I can find a coarse tech1.  The bus wheel is doing nothing for me :).  Would look cooler in the bin!! haha.

That's correct as I understand it Dunc.  I guess it gives you a wider choice if you really wanted to change the column.

I have a coarse tech1 in my garage, but I want to keep it as have an Alpina wheel in mine and if/when I sell it I may want to put it back.

20180304_075858.jpg

3 hours ago, Splondike said:

That's correct as I understand it Dunc.  I guess it gives you a wider choice if you really wanted to change the column.

I have a coarse tech1 in my garage, but I want to keep it as have an Alpina wheel in mine and if/when I sell it I may want to put it back.

20180304_075858.jpg

Posh git.:lol:

Right ok, steering rack :).  Well im just thinking with engine out it shouldnt be too much of an issue to swap “rack” out.  

I picked up the fine spline wheel for £50!! 

Changing the column to suit is only £100, so Im not too bothered.  Still coming in cheap.  And who knows, my car may have a fine spline anyways, if splondikes did, mine could do aswell.  Seems to be a bit of a grey area this.

Hi kjb1,

Thank you for your positive comments.  Yes really love the colour of the Zobelbraun.  Currently in the middle of converting from chrome trim to shadow line trim.

Ivo's Zobelbraun M5 is my inspiration for this:

large.dsc_0636.jpg.81e8af08f4ff9af5a02c9c312ea96d14.jpg

Curious,

My Zobelbraun Eta has a production date of 4th July 1985 and is fitted with a fine spline steering column / M Tec 1 wheel.  As far as I know the steering column is the original.

I acquired the M Tec steering wheel from Duncan a couple of years back when he was dismantling his M535i.    I have also had this wheel on my 1987 Bronzitbeige Eta.

There may well have been a cross over period between coarse spline / fine spline, dependent on the specification / engine size.

Probably best to check to see if your wheel fits onto your steering column before spending / wasting money / time.

In the worst case scenario that the wheel does not fit your steering column are you up for selling it?  I have a sports steering wheel on the Bronzitbeige Eta that needs to be replaced with a fine spline M Tec wheel.

Hope that your wheel fits though.

Regards,

Mick

Mick if I recall mine was fine spline? My car was a June 86 build held back for a 1st sept d plate. 

Date in in my mind is November 85 as a 'face lift' date when things like manual shifter mounts change ( cue UUC short shift saga...) as mine had the earlier mount. 

So back OT I'm not sure there is an exact date. 

OP needs to whip his wheel off and check!

Hi Duncan,

Yours M Tec wheel was indeed a fine spline and has spent time in my Bronzitbeige Eta which is a 9th November 1987 build date.

Regards,

Mick

Edited by Ordnator

Ordnator, Ive been talking to Steve today at Auto Bahn Stormers, he was talking about your Bronzit car, and your other two.  Once engine conversion is completed, guess where my bronzit is headed :)

It will be going to keep yours company!!  Steve has a column there which will be changed to suit the Tech1 wheel if my column ends up being coarse, so for this money I think Im best keeping it.  Will alter the car to suit.  

That brown is gorgeous, I do like that a lot,    you are a lucky man owning 3 of these e28’s.  

Edited by kjb1

Hi kjb1,

I think you have Mark (Splondike) and me (Ordnator - Mick) mixed up :lol:

Steve has my Bronzitbeige Eta in for a body restoration.

Here is a link for a course spline M Tec 1 steering wheel for sale on "mye28.com" across the pond in the US:

http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147096&p=1440550#p1439604

Another option if you do happen to have a course spline steering column.

Regards,

Mick

Haha, I do indeed have you mixed up. ( Im posting these days off Safari on iphone, and if honest its a real pain in the backside! I miss tapatalk for this forum.  

Ive seen the pics of your bronzit car, with white door :) .  Should be good car when its all sorted.

Did Steve do any work on your previous cars? if so were you pleased? I want this car of mine to be perfect.  Hope its all sorted for early Summer.  

Wheel could be an option!! Will wait and see what comes of my findings.  Frustrating when the car is a good 1 hour and thirty mins away from you. 

Edited by kjb1