gbrownings

2000 E39 M5 - auction sale £24k...

Reg. no. M50 ANH - Don't know the car but as the OP has indicated, that's a lot of fundamental and expensive engine work for a low mileage car.  The previous owner must have had deep pockets if it was done in the name of preventative maintenance.

The alloys have been refurbed in bright silver metallic instead of shadow chrome. Strange decision given the projected value of the car.

Has this turned up in Hexagon's showroom with the refurbed wheels refurbed (again) in the correct Shadow Chrome? 

https://hexagonclassics.com/cars/bmw-m5-e39-saloon-2001-2/

Hi,

Non OEM colour wheels as already mentioned, non OEM interior trim pieces, wooden gearknob thus a mismatch to the trims, a manky/dirty engine bay..     makes you wonder what else might've been changed/done wrong or not well! It was probably laid up for those last 5 years and the engine wasn't all that when started back up again.

It's ONLY got the low mileage going for it. The person who indeed got £24K ish for it is absolutely laughing !  It'll be up for more of course soon, let's see how quickly it 'actually' sells !

Cheers, Dennis!

My bearings went at around 48k from memory.

I sold mine a few years ago and the MOT check website shows it has done 60k plus now. Reg number of mine was LS02DKD.

Mine also had intermittent starting issues, inside the fuel flap was starting to corrode and the boot was starting to corrode as well and the nearside wing mirror didn't always fold in with the drivers side.

I sold mine with around 51k on the clock to Nick Johnson who sold it on to I believe the current owner.

cheers

3 hours ago, inkiboo said:

All these prices are making me think about selling mine!

Do it!   ....

Before cheap credit and easy access to unsecured loans become more difficult to get and the forthcoming interest base rate rises!

;)

Cheers, Dennis!

They got rid of the parrot and changed the gear knob! Also is it me but what is going on with the stereo volume knob and the menu selection knob? They look massive and chrome?

The chrome knobs are a strange oversight given that they've gone to the trouble of changing the gear shifter. OE rubber knobs are pretty cheap, too, assuming it's an OE nav screen display.

Edited by DepthHoar

At first glance I thought the screen was aftermarket with the chrome. To be honest the interior looks to have a considerably number of scuff marks etc which I think a good detailer should be able to sort? Plus the leather does look quite tired in the front I'm sure with the right knowledge and products that can be vastly improved and you'd expect it on a car of this "value". It might not have done many miles but it appears to have done quite a few hours!

Hi,

It's the OEM monitor and a popular mod is either the replacement knobs from a enthusiast member in the USA, the Storm Motorwerks ones and I believe the OEM ones off an E9x can also fit on. 

The carbon fibre vinyl wrap looks off due to the different directions of the weave, if whoever did it got that fundamental right, it'd look 'better' for what it is. Also the quality of the wrap fit could be improved, can still see a bit of the wood on the handbrake cover.

In todays market, anyone looking to spend £40 grand on an E39 M5, will absolutely want it as OEM as possible if not 100% OEM. Things like vinyl carbon wraps and the monitor control knobs are small enough items for such people to click the back button away from the advert as they'll wonder what else isn't OEM or been changed etc. 

Given Hexagon can just sit on cars for years if needed, then currently I'd agree with inkiboo !

Cheers, Dennis!

As much as a E39 is an amazing machine and a classic vehicle already, for that price, no one would buy as a daily. 

And if you had £40k burning a pocket for a weekend car, there is probably about a 100 other cars I would buy ahead of that.