Sign in to follow this  
simufly

Check control messages

Get a very  intermittent "EGS regalt" message on the check control. 

I have been using the snow function on the box recently.

any idea?

You have got the language in your cluster set to German. IIRC, you put the key in the 'aux' position and press the right button for about 10 seconds until the next one come up. Stop when you get to UK English as it has US English too.

To cut a long story short, EGS is the transmission control module and regelt can mean to lock. You probably don't have a LSD on the auto and may be spinning up a back wheel. Do it long enough and the EGS will take its ball home, probably dumping you in a high forward gear. If it does that, you will lose the gear display in the cluster. But all will probably be forgiven if you just cycle the ignition

OK. Had a quick look at the German messages you can get in the cluster. EGS regelt does not appear but ESD and  ASC regelt do. First one may be just a dry joint in the cluster. Again, change it to English to have a better idea :)

Edit. ESD is actually the LSD and I doubt you have one. My memory is not serving me well either. It is not the cluster at fault but may be dry joints in the check control module itself (located in the fuse box). This is in German but you will get the gist easily enough:

http://www.e34-welt.de/tips_tricks/Reparaturanleitung CCM e34 e32.pdf

Edited by whiskychaser

+1 Check Control Module - been there done that!  (Could be an idea to charge up the battery also)

I ithink it was having a bad hair day, as no further memos. Strangely all the other message are in English?

On the down side have just discovered a fuel leak from the pipes over the rear axle. Deep joy.