-TARBY-

Which best way to utlise the efficent dynamics/ Eco Pro?

I think Eco Pro works extremely well. Yeah its like driving a barge but its meant for improving mileage. The most I have managed out of the tank upon hitting empty was 745 miles. Normally its about 420 miles for half a tank as that is when I usually fill to full. The best figure I have seen for the bonus range was 230 miles. Normally its about 140 miles. I have the air conditioning on constantly but its mostly on the lowest setting so. The start/stop function definitely makes a difference. However I always check tyre pressures, recently changed all the filters, do regular oil changes and keep the clutter to a minimum as well as keeping a record of each time I fuel up. Sad, I know.

The weekends are for Sport mode. Oh yes.

5aa82b7649e4a_Screenshotfrom2018-03-1319-49-54.png.16efa4bda9c1c1a2743891ed93917d09.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-13 19-41-03.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-13 19-46-54.png

(Yeah, its all in km. I prefer km, easier to keep track of mileage and fuel consumption. Plus the numbers move quicker.)

Edited by Scimmer

It’s a pointless feature that just lets bmw advertise a high mpg, 

in reality it’s sluggish, dangerous when pulling into the next lane to overtake and the start stop generally kick in when your reversing into a parking space at Tesco so you end up stalling the car and looking like a prick.

maybe turn it on when you get on the motorway and turn it off before you come off.   And you’ll save 10p on the 50 mile journey lol

4 hours ago, Scimmer said:

I think Eco Pro works extremely well. Yeah its like driving a barge but its meant for improving mileage. The most I have managed out of the tank upon hitting empty was 745 miles. Normally its about 420 miles for half a tank as that is when I usually fill to full. The best figure I have seen for the bonus range was 230 miles. Normally its about 140 miles. I have the air conditioning on constantly but its mostly on the lowest setting so. The start/stop function definitely makes a difference. However I always check tyre pressures, recently changed all the filters, do regular oil changes and keep the clutter to a minimum as well as keeping a record of each time I fuel up. Sad, I know.

The weekends are for Sport mode. Oh yes.

5aa82b7649e4a_Screenshotfrom2018-03-1319-49-54.png.16efa4bda9c1c1a2743891ed93917d09.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-13 19-41-03.png

Screenshot from 2018-03-13 19-46-54.png

(Yeah, its all in km. I prefer km, easier to keep track of mileage and fuel consumption. Plus the numbers move quicker.)

turning eco pro off and sports mode on as a weekend bit of fun is not the best way to experience fun on this planet, especially on a 520d. 

Hit up alton towers and your mind will be blown……… infact jodrellbank will be like a rollercoaster … 

also try having 102 grams of bran in the morning instead of 100g

It will blow your mind…

seriously tho,  please live a little 

Edited by Paulnorthwest

9 hours ago, Paulnorthwest said:

It’s a pointless feature that just lets bmw advertise a high mpg, 

in reality it’s sluggish, dangerous when pulling into the next lane to overtake and the start stop generally kick in when your reversing into a parking space at Tesco so you end up stalling the car and looking like a prick.

maybe turn it on when you get on the motorway and turn it off before you come off.   And you’ll save 10p on the 50 mile journey lol

9 hours ago, Paulnorthwest said:

turning eco pro off and sports mode on as a weekend bit of fun is not the best way to experience fun on this planet, especially on a 520d. 

Hit up alton towers and your mind will be blown……… infact jodrellbank will be like a rollercoaster … 

also try having 102 grams of bran in the morning instead of 100g

It will blow your mind…

seriously tho,  please live a little 

You're a bit of a prick aren't you?

Clearly Scimmer does a lot of Motorway miles so EcoPro is perfect for him. I also use it daily on the motorway during my commute. A range of close to 480 miles on half a tank is very impressive.

Just because you can't drive properly and anticipate traffic movements therefore consider EcoPro "dangerous" is your problem. Oh and start/stop would never shut the car down in reverse until you come to a complete half and put gearbox in P.

Although putting mine in to Eco mode yesterday, I thought it coasted better after taking my foot off. In comfort there is an immediately noticeable slowing followed by a coasting of sorts.

In Eco mode on lifting off the throttle the coast felt smoother and more free. Perhaps the 'box goes into neutral or the last gearset or clutch group disengages so the prop then isn't driving as much of the gearbox as it would in comfort?

I honestly don't know and I'm just surmising, I'll need to read up on how it works.

Coasting only possible in Eco, effectively, gearbox is decouple and no gear is engaged. Revs drop to tick over and you move along with the cars inertia, only resistance slows you down so you will roll further. 

As soon as you touch the throttle, gear engages back in and you accelerate. Pressing the brake moderately will allow braking whilst coasting, pressing harder will engage the gearbox again and car will utilise engine breaking as well as normal breaks. Eco Pro also uses a more linear throttle map so acceleration will me smoother (but slower), changing gears earlier and keeping you in max torque rather than max rpm to aid efficiency.

My car, driving around town between 30 and 40 will keep to 5th gear when flipped over to manual. in Eco, it will often be in 6th gear and when you hit 40 it will even go up to 7th. With my mixed town and motorway commute it saves me around 60 miles per tank

I do find eco pro useful.  Just not so much on the motorways.  IMO  A roads where you can utilize the coast function works best. 

Depends which motorways, I take the M11 down to London everyday and pop onto the M25, London Bound, large Hill half way through allows me to coast for close to 2 miles id say all the way through to merging onto the M25 and I still carry more than motorway speed.

Agreed, that would be useful,  but when you are travelling the reverse trip, making the climb in eco pro for me wastes more juice then it saves.  

I am a believer that it saves more juice getting to cruising speed quicker (within limits) then if you take the longer route and accelerate gently.

I have done a few tanks all on eco pro and ended up with about 60-70 miles better, but my gosh it was boring, it is just like pissing on a bonfire. A I have 2 routes to work one is mostly Summer the other Winter. The Summer route is all A roads and is shorter, the Winter is mostly motorway. 

For me the biggest "frustration" and whilst I understand it being there is the throttle lag. Most of the time I stick to stop/start off and comfort, odd moment for Sport if necessary. 

Edited by Ninja59

someone correct me if I'm wrong as i cannot remember but G30 allows you to configure Eco Pro to enable coasting etc, but keep engine and chassis in comfort, sport or eco. Did the F10 have this?

if so, solves the sluggishness for most of you (Y)

I seem to achieve similar economy levels with Eco Pro or Comfort so, like I said earlier, I just use Comfort. I don't use Sport as I don't have adaptive dampers so all it would do is put the 'box into Sport which I can easier do with a nudge of the gearstick. Given that all Sport does is lockout 8th gear and make more noise, I generally don't use that a great deal but will pop the lever left before an overtake.

The only benefit I can see to Eco Pro is that by deadening the throttle response is that your tyre life is increased by not pulling away as hard as you tend to do in comfort or sport.

I was playing with Eco mode on Friday using it on a dual carriage way switching to Eco mode just before I started to coast to the roundabouts.

On 3/14/2018 at 5:10 PM, 535i Andrew said:

Perhaps the 'box goes into neutral or the last gearset or clutch group disengages so the prop then isn't driving as much of the gearbox as it would in comfort?

It does not disconnect the gearbox from the engine as under braking I could see my rev counter rise each time there was a downshift. 

So its not a complete freewheeling coast in my pre LCi.

I've had another look at this, but my goodness it does make the car very unresponsive.  Also quite annoying that it keeps displaying the picture of a foot on the gas pedal telling me to ease off - even when my foot is not even on the throttle.  Coasting can be satisfying if you are in the mood for it.

You can adjust the speed level at which is shows that foot on the gas icon. Mine was set at 60mph when I got it. I changed it to 70mph and also set the aircon to remain on in Ecoslow mode.

What I don't like is the gear lever picture that shows up if you use the paddles to down shift to slow you down which I use a lot.

On 19/03/2018 at 9:06 AM, 535i Andrew said:

So its not a complete freewheeling coast in my pre LCi.

On mine, it fully disconnects and the engine just sits at idle speed. Braking reconnects the engine. Still barely see the point though.

So, I did a bit of a test. 

Once I commented on this forum, the following day I wanted to see what the difference was. A daily test, one in eco one in comfort would make no sense as traffic could ruin it. 

Starting on the 15th of March, I did all journeys in comfort for one week. I did my normal commute out to tesco etc, did 302.1 miles that week. Avarage 42.1 MPG. 

The following week, starting on the 22nd, i drove in nothing but comfort. The last journey I need to make today is home, 19 mile stretch. Will bring my total to 306 miles. Pulling up to work today, avarage was 47.5 mpg. 

Thats a fair difference tbh at least in my opinion

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

So, I did a bit of a test. 

Once I commented on this forum, the following day I wanted to see what the difference was. A daily test, one in eco one in comfort would make no sense as traffic could ruin it. 

Starting on the 15th of March, I did all journeys in comfort for one week. I did my normal commute out to tesco etc, did 302.1 miles that week. Avarage 42.1 MPG. 

The following week, starting on the 22nd, i drove in nothing but comfort. The last journey I need to make today is home, 19 mile stretch. Will bring my total to 306 miles. Pulling up to work today, avarage was 47.5 mpg. 

Thats a fair difference tbh at least in my opinion

Assuming the current week was in Ecoslow mode, that's say 4 litres of a saving which is about £5. That would add up right enough.

I was trying it for a tank in Eco but got fed up with the slow throttle response and binned the test.

Sorry, yes this week was all eco. Got home, didint nudge from 47.5 mpg.

Quick maths suggests that I save one monthly payment on my car per year in fuel saving. 

Considerable sum tbh

13 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Quick maths suggests that I save one monthly payment on my car per year in fuel saving. 

Considerable sum tbh

You would be very late and very bored if you did that for a year.:P

OK, I was being facesious, the Mrs golf is listed (read loosely, it's a VW) @ over 70mpg, that's a diesel and whilst it's a lovely drive it's boring. Horses for courses I guess.