pjm540i

New member 540i tourer

Morning all,

Just put a deposit on a 540i touring so I will be part of the clan shortly.

I already have an E30 touring, manual fitted with an M54 3.0, E46 330ci (supercharged track car) and a share in a crashed E46 M3 soon to be track car.

Had a good few bmw's over the years and know a couple of people on here already from a few events that I have been to with my mate who has an E39.

No doubt will be back on here with questions galore when the car lands in the next few days

Welcome to the forum, plenty of good stuff here to get the most from your 5. An E39?

Looking at an E39 540 myself at the moment actually....

Yeah its a 53 plate 2004 registered 540i touring auto E39

Cant wait to give it a good blast around and see what bits and pieces need fettling :)

Are you looking at manual or auto? saloon or Touring?

8 hours ago, pjm540i said:

Yeah its a 53 plate 2004 registered 540i touring auto E39

Cant wait to give it a good blast around and see what bits and pieces need fettling :)

Are you looking at manual or auto? saloon or Touring?

It's a 2001 Japanese import. Sport auto saloon in titan silver with 34k miles. Negotiations should be concluded tomorrow!

Edited by Loadmaster

WOW! looking for a keeper then at that mileage!

Is it going to be a daily or an investment?

Do they come with any region specific extras? Just wondering as some Japan supplied cars (not necessarily BMW's) I have looked at in the past seemed to be mega specced compared to some UK cars.....

8 hours ago, pjm540i said:

WOW! looking for a keeper then at that mileage!

Is it going to be a daily or an investment?

Do they come with any region specific extras? Just wondering as some Japan supplied cars (not necessarily BMW's) I have looked at in the past seemed to be mega specced compared to some UK cars.....

That's the idea, a keeper, probably covering about 3000 miles a year, similar to my current E39.  It wouldn't be an investment but it does have a good spec, although if it's particularly good compared to a UK car, I really don't know. Apart from the usual sport stuff, there's lecky seats, powerfold mirrors, glass sunroof, headlamp washers, dark windows and, the best bit, a lecky rear blind!  

BOOM! Lecky rear blind!

Only ever had one in my Maserati (god rest its soul) the kids bloody loved it....up....down.....up....down.....up......stuck halfway down.....up again........how we all laughed.......

In my (limited) experience it is Italian everything!

well other than pizza, pasta, beautifully poised cars (for a limited time as long as you don't expect them to start EVERY time you wan to use them), amazing exhaust notes (when they decide to start), and exceptionally involving drive (when they let you drive them)

Like mistresses and stallions I guess......

I have had two, I wont be getting another but I will romanticise about them.......

Have you bought the black one that was on AutoTrader? That's a good-looking car, and not bad value given the apparent condition.

Did I see two air fresheners in the pictures though? What do you reckon - dog owner or smoker?

6 hours ago, KingOfTheHill said:

Have you bought the black one that was on AutoTrader? That's a good-looking car, and not bad value given the apparent condition.

Did I see two air fresheners in the pictures though? What do you reckon - dog owner or smoker?

Nope, it's silver.....

Sorry, should have been clearer - that was directed at the OP.

A 540i Touring popped up on the Pistonheads Bargain Barge thread, and was the subject of much admiration before it sold.

14 hours ago, KingOfTheHill said:

Yeah I bought the black tourer from London that was on the autotrader.....its not mint but it is in very nice condition I'm well pleased with it.......Especially as I just slipped over and dislocated my shoulder this morning and its an auto! I think that's a win?

Apart from the auto gearbox that's close to my ideal spec - hope you enjoy it.

PS - replace the timing chain tensioner immediately, unless you've evidence it's been done. Fuel filter too.

19 minutes ago, KingOfTheHill said:

Apart from the auto gearbox that's close to my ideal spec - hope you enjoy it.

PS - replace the timing chain tensioner immediately, unless you've evidence it's been done. Fuel filter too.

Me too on the spec but somethings gotta give and I already have a manual supercharged e46 track car and a manual e30 touring with an m54 fitted so I figured I could put up with the auto 

Good choice of car. I tried to buy that exact car on Saturday but the seller was a bit of a timewaster. Glad you managed to sort a deal in the end; looks great.

4 hours ago, inkiboo said:

Good choice of car. I tried to buy that exact car on Saturday but the seller was a bit of a timewaster. Glad you managed to sort a deal in the end; looks great.

Yeah he was kinda difficult to hook up with but all in all I'm pleased I did....couple of minor gripes, bit of a wheel wobble at 30-35mph, couple of insignificant bodywork dinks not mentioned but for the age and mileage she's a really nice example.

Edited by pjm540i