That sure does suggest it should close as well. the auto boot is £430, if for £695 you’d get that and comfort access it would be a no brainier.

its loss poor marketing again by bmw. They did the same thing with the mirrors.

its clear that someone just copied the spec explanation from the 7 (even the picture) which has both CA and Auto Boot as standard. The foot waving thing would be an extra.

I would take take it up with BMW. Make sure you throw the word misrepresentation in.

they might refund you the option but retrofitting the auto boot might be a bit of a faf and “not doable”.

id be very very interested to hear what BMW says if this is mentioned.

Re comfort access with waving foot under the boot, I just checked mine. It does close after a few beeps.  First time I've done that :lol:

I had got the comfort access package which included:

322 Comfort Access

3AG Reversing Camera

459 Elec front Seats and Driver Memory

4T8 Exterior Mirrors folding with anti dazzle

I am going to check if the boot opens if you leave the key inside and lock the car (when I get home with the spare key just in case)

And you did not spec auto boot closure?

if that’s the case then you got what is described. Sort of kicking myself for not ticking that option now :/

I think we can state without doubt the ‘detailed description’ for the Comfort Access Option misrepresents what you actually get which is contactless (foot waving) boot lid opening but not as is stated more than once in the ‘detailed description’ contactless closing which requires the electric boot option as well.....

Well not really, @Carrera77 confirmed that after repeated tries, boot closes.

so in theory the £695 option of comfort access option gives you comfort access plus auto boot.

so with the comfort access, the button in your boot should be split into two, one to close and one to lock and close.

thats how I understand it at least. 

If no, can you post pictures of your boot buttons? Haha

Ahh, plot thickens. I have a boot close only button and no comfort access. 

But @Carrera77, you have a G31 and these have the auto boot as standard. 

So, @BacktoBeemer you have comfort access buy no electric boot on spec. What button have you got haha

I'm loving all this, who's got what, do you have the button. I wonder if the later cars with comfort access did get the electric boot close. My 4 door is now a year old so one of the early models. Just been on the BMW site and it still shows comfort access as opening and closing automatically yet it also allowed me to spec on the conf screen electric boot operation. Even now the site still conflicts ??

2 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Ahh, plot thickens. I have a boot close only button and no comfort access. 

But @Carrera77, you have a G31 and these have the auto boot as standard. 

So, @BacktoBeemer you have comfort access buy no electric boot on spec. What button have you got haha

Now escalated to BMW Customer Service - I did not spec. electric boot as the details for comfort access stated this was not necessary i.e. contactless opening and closing - still states this on the website today. I have one button inside the boot lid which appears to lock unlock the doors - pointless with comfort access. My boot does not close without me pushing it down - I have the quietest closing doors in the village, but the noisiest closing boot. I’ll await their response.  

16 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Well not really, @Carrera77 confirmed that after repeated tries, boot closes.

so in theory the £695 option of comfort access option gives you comfort access plus auto boot.

so with the comfort access, the button in your boot should be split into two, one to close and one to lock and close.

thats how I understand it at least. 

If no, can you post pictures of your boot buttons? Haha

I’ve tried and tried waving my foot around (clearly under the cover of darkness lol :D) under the rear bumper to get it to close. It opens fine but it will not close.

In reality I suspect, it opens as the foot motion releases the locking mechanism and the tension on the lid allows it to open - but it does not appear to be driven by a motor, without this I can’t see how it can close against the opening tension.

The good news is I don’t have to see, as I spec’ed comfort access on the basis it would provide contactless opening and closing as per the website. BMW Customer Care feedback and proposed resolution awaited. 

I have just just one button inside the boot lid which appears slightly less then useless given it locks and unlocks the doors - so not a great benefit with comfort access.  

Other than this and the lack of a dipping passenger mirror I’m lovin’ the car - it will be run in by this time tomorrow so looking forward to testing the 3.0 litres and twin turbos - suspect the MPG may have dropped a bit by this time next week :D

Edited by BacktoBeemer

Ahh I see the G31 has a much heavier boot, so up and down is driven electrically as standard. I just looked at the website and it shows a single button with a lock symbol. The second button must also be part of the standard package.  Its dead quiet when opening and closing . You can't tell its electrical. I've noticed that other passengers who aren't familiar with it, try to force it up or down 

I use the button for boot close. I guess you stick to one method and use it without thinking after a while

Anyway the arguments may seem minor but its a complex auto supply chain problem. I dont know how they do it  

18 minutes ago, carrman said:

Its a Twin Power (single) turbo.

I stand (well I’m sitting actually lol) corrected but still looking forward to flexing the 3 litres and my single twin powered turbo - suspect it will still be enough to desimate my current MPG :mellow:....

21 minutes ago, carrman said:

Mind you a guy on an American forum keeps insisting his is a V6!!!

Well they do have everything bigger better and louder than everyone else - or so they’d like us to believe. We know in reality they are wrong about this and most things....:lol:

The 7 series has "Tailgate operation, soft-close" as standard. That must be electrically driven, hence the comfort access open and close option.

Maybe the 5 series saloon isn't electric, though it really difficult to tell these days. If it isn't electric, there's not a lot you can do about it even if the spec says otherwise. They cant fix it

Edited by Carrera77

Defo not electric. Normal is spring loaded, will open but manual close. Auto requires electric actuators £430 option.

and yes, 7 has comfort acces, auto boot and a lot of standard gizmos that 5 is expensive spec.

my next car is definitely a LCI 730d

16 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

my next car is definitely a LCI 730d

Not new I assume :lol:. Its a good buy second hand

You were right about BMW simply copying over the spec from the 7 series without understanding it. Thats what website 'content creators' tend to do 

Maybe they can retrofit the autoboot function. Depends how modular it is. Soft close does really work well , its a nice touch 

5 minutes ago, Carrera77 said:

Not new I assume :lol:. Its a good buy second hand

Why not new? Yes residuals are lower, but finance contribution on a £75k car is circa £20k, making it a 530d comparator, on top of that, 0% finance from BMW makes it (on a good discount) cheaper than a well spec’d 5.

if I buy a 6/12 month old one, yes it will be a lot cheaper but probably the same price as what a new would cost with discount. There’s no way I’d ever pay BMW 10.9% APR on finance again and I’m not taking a bank loan for a car.

if I lease and hand back or part ex at some point, couldn’t care less about residual tbh.

2 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

I’ve tried and tried waving my foot around (clearly under the cover of darkness lol :D) under the rear bumper to get it to close. It opens fine but it will not close.

In reality I suspect, it opens as the foot motion releases the locking mechanism and the tension on the lid allows it to open - but it does not appear to be driven by a motor, without this I can’t see how it can close against the opening tension.

The good news is I don’t have to see, as I spec’ed comfort access on the basis it would provide contactless opening and closing as per the website. BMW Customer Care feedback and proposed resolution awaited. 

I have just just one button inside the boot lid which appears slightly less then useless given it locks and unlocks the doors - so not a great benefit with comfort access.  

Other than this and the lack of a dipping passenger mirror I’m lovin’ the car - it will be run in by this time tomorrow so looking forward to testing the 3.0 litres and twin turbos - suspect the MPG may have dropped a bit by this time next week :D

Interested on BMWs answer on this as mine has comfort access and I presumed after reading website it would have opening and closing of the boot not just opening. 

5 hours ago, Hudds.taz said:

Interested on BMWs answer on this as mine has comfort access and I presumed after reading website it would have opening and closing of the boot not just opening

I’ll keep you posted - watch this space lol. 

Has anybody used / experienced using GYEON Q2 RIM - it has been recommended to me to help protect / make the cleaning of the alloy wheels easier, suggests the application is straight forward but I'm always slightly sceptical about claims that it will provide protection for xxxx months or xxxx miles. It is not very expensive so may well give it a go over the BH weekend - I understand the curing time is 24 hours plus....