BacktoBeemer

Time to Change the Company Car

Get it - I’ve heard / understand the need to (a) allow the paint time to really cure (b) critical the paint is totally clean and ‘perfect’ before applying any ceramic coatings. (C) ensuring any treatments are applied by a professional. 

Any reccomendations ? 

Edited by BacktoBeemer
Correct typo

On 06/03/2018 at 9:05 AM, sjak92 said:

I precisely said no cleaning on mine and wanted the plastic coverings removed right before collection. 

Im a little OCD about paintwork and never let anyone touch the car in terms of cleaning apart from me unless they are a proper Pro. One of the reasons I took a white car is the fact that it is in fact easier to maintain in terms of swirl marks, scratches etc

Car went straight home and had a wash, clay bar, polish and hard wax applied. 

Will have all of the above done during Easter Friday and Saturday with a deep cut polish and Ceramic Coating applied now instead of Wax (didn't apply ceramic straight away as a detailer friend said ceramic coat and white paint not a good idea straight away).

So you did the initial prep and not the dealer then? 

Any recommendations re the detailing Ceramic Coating etc?

Wasn’t cleaned by the dealer if that’s what you’re asking.

This is what I’m planning on using:

Cquartz UK Edition 30ml Kit w/ Reload https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00JH9C5S0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_.-8OAbR2NCXM7

YouTube application. It’s rather easy.

make sure car will not be exposed to water for 24 hours.

pro tip: once hardened 24 hours, put a light wax (dodo juice 6 week wax) to add extra protection to allow the ceramic to harden 100% for best results

Those nice folk at BMW Corporate have confirmed the delivery of the (G31) 540i M Sport demonstrator between 09:00 and 13:00 tomorrow. Further details and perhaps a pic or two to follow after its' arrival.....

17 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Those nice folk at BMW Corporate have confirmed the delivery of the (G31) 540i M Sport demonstrator between 09:00 and 13:00 tomorrow. Further details and perhaps a pic or two to follow after its' arrival.....

Some pics and opinions would be nice if it's possible as G31 540i is on my next car list.

BMW Group Experience have delivered the demonstrator, a (G31) 540i M Sport XDrive Touring, Sophisto Grey Xirallic Metallic, Black Dakota Leather with Exclusive Contrast Piping. 20" BMW Individual V-spoke Style 759 Alloy Wheels. Whilst I won’t opt for the Touring it is the best they can do as the (G30) 540i M Sport Saloon Demonstrator’s are in short supply and I need to get my order finalised and placed next week.

Options included on this are, Adaptive Suspension, Steering Wheel Heating, Roof Rails in Matt Silver, Matt Aluminium Exterior Trim, Panoramic Glass Sunroof, Extended Luggage Features, Comfort Package, (comprising of Electric Front Seats and Driver Memory, Comfort Access, and Reversing Assist Camera) M Sport Plus Package (comprising, 20" BMW Individual V-spoke style 759 Alloy Wheels, H&K Surround Sound and Sun Protection Glass), Visibility package (comprising of Adaptive LED Headlights with Matrix Function, Headlight Wash and High Beam Assist) and the Technology package (comprising of  Heads Up Display, WiFi Hotspot Preparation, Enhanced Bluetooth with Wireless Charging, Gesture Control and Display Key)  totalling £9,790 of options.

I have it until Friday, so should be able to get a good few miles on the clock, put it through its’ paces and determine if my current thinking on options needs to change. If there are particular details anybody is interested in, shout them out and I'll attempt to answer / clarify whilst it is here. I'll do a bit of a review later in the week.

'Steveo1' as per your request, a few pics, it is a bit grubby and raining here so probably not looking at its best!

Thought it would be interesting to compare today's (G31) 540i Touring with my earlier (E61) 525i Touring, pictures of the later were taken back in April 2010, I wonder if it is still going strong?

fullsizeoutput_1d25.thumb.jpeg.6aa7ebd63806a5c618f2e73b1f0d949b.jpeg

The lights certainly sweep around the front of the car much further now than then.....

5aa661380fc53_2010042501.thumb.jpg.bdc76673062930475f7c778be61e190b.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1d26.thumb.jpeg.c3d9fbf548cf1aaed60bd57d08fcbd81.jpeg

And at the rear........

5aa661659df54_2010042503.thumb.jpg.566696a8a6fc0b81dfad300a7d466337.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1d28.thumb.jpeg.4ddb9c7ab928639ce2582d190d6f6bd6.jpeg

New wheels look great - I'm going for black alloy's and even those will be harder to keep clean than the old ones.....

5aa6643add8c2_2010042505.thumb.jpg.a91a2a8ca15547008406e88ebc12cc65.jpg

fullsizeoutput_1d27.thumb.jpeg.e0f155f4466b8720a8ebc79f5e0804c3.jpeg

No comparison inside....

DSC00533.JPG.adc41463d57a0d8ec1b22ebefc47e66c.JPG

IMG_3907.thumb.JPG.af2c551a20be6dced2108093c8bc3796.JPG

Layouts probably not changed as much as expected - the engines on the other hand......

DSC00544.JPG.33d519b656f2326c2dd810cdaec341dd.JPG

F10

Taking the lights right across the front to the grill makes quite a difference.....

fullsizeoutput_1d2a.jpeg.cd1f3a084fdbc072b9330d9d5ecde1a6.jpeg

So, BMW Group Experience will collect the demonstrator, a (G31) 540i M Sport XDrive Touring today . I've managed to cover 348 miles in the time I've had it. Overall impressions is that it is a smart and well thought out machine, and has confirmed that a move back to BMW from Audi is right.

As for the specifics on this particular demonstrator. 

Externally, I'm not a massive fan of chrome and bling, and would't elect to have the chrome rails and window surrounds but otherwise Sophisto Grey Xirallic Metallic, looks great and runs Moonstone a really close second, the 20" BMW Individual V-spoke Style 759 Alloy Wheels are smart but I'm going for the Black Finish and 19", that said the 20" didn't appear to compromise ride quality and certainly not in standard and comfort settings.

Performance wise - very impressive very quiet and very quick through the entire range, it was always prepared to give a bit more, the Sports and Sports + set up give a really connected feel and on occasions with the gear shift to the left it felt like it was on rails not a road ! That said even 'putting it through its' paces, I've returned 34 mpg overall, much better than the S5.

Internally, the Black Dakota Leather with Exclusive Contrast Piping, is a great finish but too much black and the cabin makes it feel a bit dark all be it the panoramic sunroof would help on brighter days. I'm going to go for the Ivory Dakota Leather with Exclusive Contrast Piping and no sun roof !

As for the rest of the technology, it all works well but is going to take a while to discover and explore everything, the one thing here that I'm now clear on is the Active Stop - Go with cruise control (which I have on the Audi but is not on this demonstrator) is a must, probably as part of the Driver Plus Package. At first I thought the HUD was great but driving at night / in the dark I found it quite distracting and all the information is available elsewhere so not sure I'm going for that.

My order goes into the dealer this afternoon so I need to do some thinking and finalise the options list.

48 minutes ago, BacktoBeemer said:

At first I thought the HUD was great but driving at night / in the dark I found it quite distracting and all the information is available elsewhere so not sure I'm going for that.

This can be dimmed or turned off. Personally I find no distraction at night and the advantage of keeping eyes on road when pressing on at night is significant

1 hour ago, Monkeyfinger said:

This can be dimmed or turned off. Personally I find no distraction at night and the advantage of keeping eyes on road when pressing on at night is significant

Yes, I did dim to minimum although there is automatic adjustment based upon light level so perhaps I didn't adjust correctly.

Suspect it is down to personal preference and experience - probably one of those things that once you have had and have adjusted to you wouldn't want to be without - problem is at £995 and a long options list something is going to have to give :o ....

3 hours ago, Monkeyfinger said:

I have HUD on my 2017 F31.  I like it.  But I didn't order it on the G31.

1 hour ago, Steveo1 said:

How did you find the Xdrive system? 

For me, Xdrive is the way forward.  I've only had RWD BMWs before the F31, but the way it gets away in the wet puts RWD out of the equation.  Add to that; Xdrive performance in snow and ice, towing a trailer across a muddy field, and my concern with my better half driving this year-round (though not every day) and it's a no-brainer.

28381332_10156500994742448_211610400_n.jpg?oh=940f3be9938c6f4b436866fe4eb7ad2b&oe=5AAE06BF

This is our order, though the Online Entertainment was deleted at the last minute.

6 hours ago, Steveo1 said:

How did you find the Xdrive system? 

Hope me you can make your mind up on your options. 

Xdrive is good, but difficult to compare to the Audi Quattro system as I've managed to avoid the rain this week! It is the only option on the 540i.

I couldn't get the back wheels to rotate no matter how hard I tried !! Back in the day I remember being pulled up a gentle slope in the E61 in the snow by a tractor of all things, XDrive will make that a thing of the past :D

I finalised the options list and the order is in. I'll share in a bit.........

So as a result of a few days in the demonstrator and many helpful comments from individuals on here the order was finally placed yesterday, 16th June and will be as follows:-

BMW 540i xDrive M Sport Saloon

Exterior - Bluestone

Wheels - Style 664M Black Alloys with Run Flats

Interior - Ivory White Leather with Aluminum Rhombicle trim

Driving assistant plus

Parking assistant plus

Electronic damper controls

Loudspeaker system H&K surround sound

Comfort access

Air conditioning automatic with four-zone control

Enhanced Bluetooth with wireless charging

Soft-close doors

Sun protection glass

Exterior folding mirrors

Split rear seats

Front and rear heated seats

Display key

Headlight wash

Universal remote control

Gesture control

High beam assistant

Remote services

There were others that were tempting – remote control parking would be great to share with mates, once, but I doubt it would ever be used again, if the space is so tight I need to get out before parking the car, what happens when the owner of the adjacent car gets back before me and they don’t have remote parking.

I’m sure there will be some reflection over the coming days and the dealer has assured me that certain tweaks are possible for a couple of weeks or so. I'm still not sure if I should have gone for the HUD, I haven't but then reflecting upon individual options, enhanced bluetooth with wireless charging, display key and gesture control I could have / should have elected to have the technology package and got the HUD.

I should be able to track progress Online (BMW Genius Status Updates), initial indication was it will be 12 weeks (seems to be the 'stock' answer) to delivery, which makes it due on the 8th June, we will see.

So the waiting begins.............

Everyone’s taste is different, but I think there’s some options in there that you should maybe reconsider...

Four Zone climate - really necessary?

Display key - just use the BMW connected app.

Gesture control - a bit of a gimmick.

Soft close doors - as above.

Add the Icon lights with what you save from above. The standard LED’s are good, but the high beams are poor in my opinion.

All subjective of course...don’t shoot the messenger ha!

The majority of the options you’ve picked are standard on the 7 series. With the humongous discounts available on that, you’d get better value considering the options you want 

Thanks for the comments guys.......

Our Fleet deals are really good and we get huge discounts on some options which is why the list may seem 'at odds' in some instances. 

As above, it's worth considering the ICON lights, I didn't get them and frankly the standard LEDs are fine, but if I were ordering again then I'd go for the fancy lights.

Other than that, I'd say as you're going for comfort seats you may as well got for nappa, it totally changes the feel of the interior. It might also be worth seeing if you can get a deal on the MPPSK, the standard acceleration is okay but I thought it would feel quicker, 10% more torque would be well worth having.

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

The majority of the options you’ve picked are standard on the 7 series. With the humongous discounts available on that, you’d get better value considering the options you want 

Surely residual values are much lower though - bumping up the monthly price?

For this reason  the  7 is not available on my scheme.

They can’t sell them second hand for a decent price.

Nice spec there backtobeemer. 

Have to to agree with you about the 4 zone aircon and heated rear seats I have them in my F11 and if you carry rear passengers on a regular basis as I do they are a must. 

I have HUD only used it a couple of times don’t think I’ll spec it next time. 

To me the main option you’ve pick is the 3L petrol engine it’s a peach hope you enjoy it as much as I’m enjoying my 3L F11.