BacktoBeemer

Time to Change the Company Car

Ah however my commute is favourable 100 miles on good A Roads / A1 made 3 times a week and that helps.......

Eco Pro will help but will never compensate for a real stop start journey. :rolleyes:

@sjak92 

@Chris Margetts

@Johnyboy

@carrman

@Yokozuna

@Andrew530dmsport

@Boba

@Back2Beemer

@Monkeyfinger

@AdamBell

@dewidaniels

@Steveo1

@BRB

@Bluemoon68

@Coops

@Hybrid5

@Carrera77

@G Whizz

@Hudds.taz

@jake13

@Hurly_Dog

Quick view on car wash frequency - how often do you wash / clean your car and how long do you spend doing it?

In a fit of enthusiasm I bought a snow lance and some foam and a mitt and gave it a wash back in June I think. Took ages and made me wet. Car went no better afterwards. I wash it when it’s really dirty - maybe 4 to 6 weekly or a bit longer. Hoovered the boot a couple of weeks ago though after an unusually grubby visit to the tip.

i did think about getting one of those ceramic-type hard coatings on the paintwork but forgot after a bit.

Never used to wash the last car at all. It reaches equilibrium with the surroundings In time. (A bit like my coffee mug at work used to ^_^ )

Edited by Boba

It's had one wash since I bought it (10 months), I think that was probably in June. Must have taken about an hour. Won't bother again, it can wait until it's first service in about a years time.

Had mine professionally detailed around 3 months ago and a ceramic coating applied, maintained wash takes me 30/45 minutes now with with 10 of that being a snow foam pre wash. 

Do do it once every 2/3 weeks. Dirt does not cling on to the ceramic at all tbh.

money very well spent 

9 minutes ago, sjak92 said:

10 of that being a snow foam pre wash. 

As I said, did it once but took longer than that by the time I’d run the hose out, pulled out the pressure washer, connected up the mains extension, mixed up the foam, squirted it on, cleaned up and put everything away.

Edited by Boba

Try once a week at weekends. Usually a few hours but don’t go as far a removing the wheels

4 hours ago, Boba said:

As I said, did it once but took longer than that by the time I’d run the hose out, pulled out the pressure washer, connected up the mains extension, mixed up the foam, squirted it on, cleaned up and put everything away.

Rather lucky that my parents have a garage with everything connected up ready to work just a case mixing the snow foam bottle, taking out two buckets, filling uo with water etc (but i prep all of that whilst the snow foam is doing its thing.

The biggest time saver is the ceramic. It honestly cuts out manual wash time down to around 7/8 minutes for the entire car, no pressure required at all, no scrubbing down low by arches, bugs just fall off with good shampoo, warm water and clean mitt. 

No driveway, so whenever the 'slot' is available and keen eye on the weather forecast. It takes longer to packup than actually clean the car. My car also has been ceramic coated because I did want to clay, polish, wax, seal etc......

Currently it takes me 25 mins wash & dry the car (including door jams) which includes 10 mins to leave the snowfoam. I don't do 2,3.5...bucket method nor separate shampoo. I just use snowfoam with mitt to mechanically wash the whole car with separate microfibre cloths for bumpers / skirt and wheels. With a leaf blower / compressed air to remove excess water, I can confidentally get the whole thing done in 15 mins.

Edited by jake13

8 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

Quick view on car wash frequency - how often do you wash / clean your car and how long do you spend doing it?

Start in the Spring with a really deep clean & full detail including clay, polish then sealant - could probably take 6 hours!. That lasts me over the Summer where I will probably only do it every 3-4 weeks (quick wash and top up with sealant so 30-45mins). Once the weather starts getting bad (rain) I'll probably do it every other week. By topping it up every other wash keeps it going. 

I've only washed it twice myself - yellow lines outside the house limit when I can do it for a start. I think it took from getting everything out to packing away about 2 hours. If I had time and the weather was nice, I'd do more often I think, and could probably organise myself a little better!

It tends to go to one of the various hand car washes when needed/every 6 weeks or so. They do an adequate to good job generally. I'd happily pay a little bit extra for a bit of extra TLC but it seems to jump massively in price to full valet. While the new competition in town has pushed down the standard wash to c.£14, it seems to have made no difference to the top end (£90+...I think!)

On 9/25/2018 at 6:19 PM, BacktoBeemer said:

When I reconcile against 'real world', miles driven versus fuel used it works out at 32.6 - 1 MPG more than stated on the dashboard???

I've noticed that the number on the dash and the one on the central console often don't tally. I filled up 1/2m after starting, and reset everything, was about 3 or 4 mpg difference over a 300m trip! Odd.

On 9/30/2018 at 9:35 AM, BacktoBeemer said:

@sjak92 

@Chris Margetts

@Johnyboy

@carrman

@Yokozuna

@Andrew530dmsport

@Boba

@Back2Beemer

@Monkeyfinger

@AdamBell

@dewidaniels

@Steveo1

@BRB

@Bluemoon68

@Coops

@Hybrid5

@Carrera77

@G Whizz

@Hudds.taz

@jake13

@Hurly_Dog

At the minute mine gets a decent (circa 1 hour) wash every couple of weeks. Looks fantastic once it’s clean but doesn’t last very long unfortunately.

Mine gets the full works every 3 weeksish. Snow foam, 2BW, the lot. Wax every 6 months or so (although I tried Auto Finesse Power shell with my rotary and it seems to be going okay so far). I would love to do more but life gets in the way. I would much prefer for it to stay dirty than let someone hand wash it with water they have used for 30 other cars - ala most of the car washes round my way.

Inside gets done weekly in both cars.

Probably once every couple of weeks on average.

As I’ve used the Aqua Wax from day 1, dirt doesn’t cling to the car much either, and as the washes are frequent it’s built up a good layer of protection.

probabky spend about an hour ish each time, but that’s properly cleaning the wheels & dressing the tyres which is fiddly work.

On 10/1/2018 at 2:57 PM, Chris Margetts said:

Mine gets the full works every 3 weeksish. Snow foam, 2BW, the lot. Wax every 6 months or so (although I tried Auto Finesse Power shell with my rotary and it seems to be going okay so far). I would love to do more but life gets in the way. I would much prefer for it to stay dirty than let someone hand wash it with water they have used for 30 other cars - ala most of the car washes round my way.

Inside gets done weekly in both cars.

Must admit the interior doesn’t get the same care as outside:o