Deganwyman

G31 Dash Cam Install (in less than an hour)

2 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Wow - that's an interesting and useful site, I've never come across that before...

Many thanks - very helpful.

On 27/02/2018 at 4:45 PM, Andrew530dmsport said:

BacktoBeemer- I got mine all fitted at Halfords. Hard wired to the car so no annoying wires to be seen. Best of all I can unplug the actual dash cam from the mount as its magnetic and has a powered mount. Nextbase 512GW. I know what you mean though, why BMW haven't yet built these into the rear view mirror with an SD card slot in the side is beyond me. I'd have paid for that option if it was available

The day BMW finally realises they have 95% of the hardware (surround view) to implement a dash cam from factory, they will charge £5,000 for it plus yearly subscription of £750 to BMW cloud platform...so best to stick with halsford

1 hour ago, reggie59 said:

The day BMW finally realises they have 95% of the hardware (surround view) to implement a dash cam from factory, they will charge £5,000 for it plus yearly subscription of £750 to BMW cloud platform...so best to stick with halsford

Wow...such pessimism.......I'm sure it's totally unjustified for BMW......LOL...

On 2/26/2018 at 4:50 PM, Deganwyman said:

"

Ive just installed a dash cam into my G31 and hardwired it into the front offside fusebox. The install was very easy using a piggy back fuse holder and all the wiring is concealed. The fuse i used was F46, which powers down approx 5 minutes after locking the car. The wire was routed under the mirror housing (no need to remove) then across the drivers side headlining and down the A-pillar before terminating at the fusebox."

Thanks for this and others on thread.

On my one week anniversary I am exploring my Dash-cam options and fitting myself.

Hardest job was finding some fuse info, in my search I came across this fuse information, probably where Paul got it from, so thought I'd post here

There is a lot of info on the site with the home page for BMW series here.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by saintalan
Spelling

I'm now looking to fit my dash cam.
Wiring looks reasonably easy to route, but I'm interested in the connection.  Piggy-back fuses are easy enough, but do people cut the supplied USB lead, or buy another lead, or buy and adapter of some sort?
Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, BRB said:

I'm now looking to fit my dash cam.
Wiring looks reasonably easy to route, but I'm interested in the connection.  Piggy-back fuses are easy enough, but do people cut the supplied USB lead, or buy another lead, or buy and adapter of some sort?
Thanks in advance.

You can but the kit below which is probably easiest for a few pounds, I just solder and shrink wrap one of the many spare USB leads I have.

I would actually suggest buying a kit. Next base does them if I recall. 

It helps with the interference caused by Dash Cams which often causes DAB to cut out. Has this little box and a couple of ferrite rings to counter act it. 

I'll be fitting a dashcam ASAP as I've used one for years. Mine's a Garmin. Operates fine and with a good picture day and night but a real irritation is that it's a 5V device with the converter in the plug which makes it more awkward to fit.

In my previous car I lazily just wired 12V to the plug and hid the whole contraption in a coin-holder compartment but I'm unsure what to do in the BMW. Perhaps I'll just shell out for a 12V model.

It's always a good idea with this kind of gadget to put a suppressor of some kind in the supply lead. As near to the converter on the supply side as possible though that's often not easy when the converter is in the gadget itself. I generally take 2 or 3 turns through a ferrite ring (the kind used on some PC leads will do fine though you can get plenty much smaller).

Edited by Boba

Something I have thought about so thank you for write up.

also, can people recommend which dash cam they have and why its good ?

Good Afternoon.  Just used this posting to install a dash cam power feed in my new 2018 G30 and wanted to provide an update that the F46 fuse in my car powers all of the cameras.  Fuse out when put in reverse and absolutely nothing happens.  (DUH) in me figured out why there are two places for fuses on the plugs so that was a learning of the obvious but just an FYI of what that fuse does (at least on my 2018).

Evening, I have a dashcam fitted, I also have a Cellink battery installed too, to allow for recording whilst the ignition is off. In my old X3 the battery would drain over night and would pop up a message in the morning saying that they battery had discharged. Also, played havoc with the stop-start as well, as it thought that that the battery wasn't fully charged, which it wasn't. I read somewhere that a battery can't take the constant draining and charging. 

The Cellink battery gets charge up whilst you drive, the dashcam is plugged into this and is not powered by anything else. I think it works really well, but have yet to test this theory out. 

Mind you, it is only for those people that want to keep on recording whilst the car is parked.

Also, you will never see BMW or anyone else selling a dashcam facility, utilising all of the cameras in the car, as on the continent they have some *very* strange rules of about videoing people without their permission and data privacy, indeed, in countries it is illegal for you to have a dashcam plugged in!

When driving in Europe it is important to recognise that there are some restrictions on the use of dash cams. For example, in Luxembourg the use of dash cams is illegal, but owning one is not. Their government see this as a breach of a person’s data protection rights therefore they are not permitted. However, in France, dash cams are thought to be a great device and a development in the right direction to provide recorded evidence and for road safety.

If you are thinking about using a dash cam abroad it is important to understand the rules and legalities before doing so.

Dash cams are completely legal in the UK, however in some parts of Europe they are not permitted, meaning it is essential to check with the authorities before you drive around the country with a in car camera unit.

from https://www.racshop.co.uk/advice/is-having-a-dashboard-camera-legal

also https://driveeurope.co.uk/2014/09/24/zeelandbrug/ says that in Austria you could be fined 10,000 Euros for having one.

Anyway, would recommend a dashcam!

The celllink gets good reviews, I'd be interested to hear your feedback once you have had it a while. 

Ime dashcams with built in batteries can't handle the extremes of temp and charging cycles, I'd always go for a capacitor camera. 

What camera did you install? 

I have a Thinkware F800 Pro (http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/F800PRO) and a Cellink Neo6 - just noticed the Neo9 has come out which is an even bigger battery!

In for a penny, in for pound! 

I use to have the F800 in my X3 and as I mentioned the battery drain issue, but since I changed car and had the F800 and the Cellink installed no issues with battery drain, I check the battery every now and again - there is an app for it! (isn't there for anything!?) Seems to be doing fine, the battery is installed next to the fuse box in the boot, they had to take a lot of trim from the boot and the back seats, as I have the rear channel installed too. There is a space near the fuse box that is ideal size for the battery. I actually got someone else to install it for me, I could have done it myself, but knew it would take me a long time, but the bloke was a real pro and I he took it out of my previous car and installed it to the G30 for a really good price.

On my F11, I was able to prise off the passenger side weatherstrip and run the cable for my Nextbase along the top of the roof lining to the door, then just under the top of the airbag cover, then down the A-post.  It had a panel that could be removed easily to give a bit of access to the fusebox that was behind the glovebox.

Just been out to try and replicate this with the G31 (but going down the drivers side A-pillar), but the weatherstrip appears to be stuck on pretty solidly, which in turn also seems to stop the panel on the end of the dash from coming off easily.

Am I on the right lines, or is there a better routing for the cable?

Thanks

Edited by Saftlad

Installed my wiring down the driver side A pillar and fed it through to the fuse box in the drivers footwell.  There are some photos and details of which fuse to connect to on the site somewhere.  Took 5 mins to put in the cable and you don't see it.

No worries, I used an anchor point just by the right hand catch to connect the earth.

I used fuse F59 in the end, takes a standard size ATO/C fuse.  Might be an option if anyone already has a fuse in F46 (driver aids) and doesn't want to affect anything else.

Hi. I am trying to fit a Power Magic Pro Box to my G31. It works with my Blackvue dash cam (to keep it working with ignition off and cuts out when the car battery gets too low). The box needs to be tethered to both a switched fuse and a constant power fuse. Can anyone help me with specific fuse numbers to use please ?

Thanks.