Deganwyman

G31 Dash Cam Install (in less than an hour)

2 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Wow - that's an interesting and useful site, I've never come across that before...

Many thanks - very helpful.

On 27/02/2018 at 4:45 PM, Andrew530dmsport said:

BacktoBeemer- I got mine all fitted at Halfords. Hard wired to the car so no annoying wires to be seen. Best of all I can unplug the actual dash cam from the mount as its magnetic and has a powered mount. Nextbase 512GW. I know what you mean though, why BMW haven't yet built these into the rear view mirror with an SD card slot in the side is beyond me. I'd have paid for that option if it was available

The day BMW finally realises they have 95% of the hardware (surround view) to implement a dash cam from factory, they will charge £5,000 for it plus yearly subscription of £750 to BMW cloud platform...so best to stick with halsford

1 hour ago, reggie59 said:

The day BMW finally realises they have 95% of the hardware (surround view) to implement a dash cam from factory, they will charge £5,000 for it plus yearly subscription of £750 to BMW cloud platform...so best to stick with halsford

Wow...such pessimism.......I'm sure it's totally unjustified for BMW......LOL...

On 2/26/2018 at 4:50 PM, Deganwyman said:

"

Ive just installed a dash cam into my G31 and hardwired it into the front offside fusebox. The install was very easy using a piggy back fuse holder and all the wiring is concealed. The fuse i used was F46, which powers down approx 5 minutes after locking the car. The wire was routed under the mirror housing (no need to remove) then across the drivers side headlining and down the A-pillar before terminating at the fusebox."

Thanks for this and others on thread.

On my one week anniversary I am exploring my Dash-cam options and fitting myself.

Hardest job was finding some fuse info, in my search I came across this fuse information, probably where Paul got it from, so thought I'd post here

There is a lot of info on the site with the home page for BMW series here.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Alan

Edited by saintalan
Spelling

I'm now looking to fit my dash cam.
Wiring looks reasonably easy to route, but I'm interested in the connection.  Piggy-back fuses are easy enough, but do people cut the supplied USB lead, or buy another lead, or buy and adapter of some sort?
Thanks in advance.

8 hours ago, BRB said:

I'm now looking to fit my dash cam.
Wiring looks reasonably easy to route, but I'm interested in the connection.  Piggy-back fuses are easy enough, but do people cut the supplied USB lead, or buy another lead, or buy and adapter of some sort?
Thanks in advance.

You can but the kit below which is probably easiest for a few pounds, I just solder and shrink wrap one of the many spare USB leads I have.

I would actually suggest buying a kit. Next base does them if I recall. 

It helps with the interference caused by Dash Cams which often causes DAB to cut out. Has this little box and a couple of ferrite rings to counter act it. 

I'll be fitting a dashcam ASAP as I've used one for years. Mine's a Garmin. Operates fine and with a good picture day and night but a real irritation is that it's a 5V device with the converter in the plug which makes it more awkward to fit.

In my previous car I lazily just wired 12V to the plug and hid the whole contraption in a coin-holder compartment but I'm unsure what to do in the BMW. Perhaps I'll just shell out for a 12V model.

It's always a good idea with this kind of gadget to put a suppressor of some kind in the supply lead. As near to the converter on the supply side as possible though that's often not easy when the converter is in the gadget itself. I generally take 2 or 3 turns through a ferrite ring (the kind used on some PC leads will do fine though you can get plenty much smaller).

Edited by Boba

Something I have thought about so thank you for write up.

also, can people recommend which dash cam they have and why its good ?