Deganwyman

G31 Dash Cam Install (in less than an hour)

Afternoon Everyone this is my first post so here we go......

Ive just installed a dash cam into my G31 and hardwired it into the front offside fusebox. The install was very easy using a piggy back fuse holder and all the wiring is concealed. The fuse i used was F46, which powers down approx 5 minutes after locking the car. The wire was routed under the mirror housing (no need to remove) then across the drivers side headlining and down the A-pillar before terminating at the fusebox.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to do the same.

Thanks

Paul

IMG_4773.JPG

IMG_4769.png

•  
Edited by Deganwyman

Looks a neat job!

I'm curious - as far as I know, I don't know anyone with a dash cam, but I've seen 4 or 5 mentions, both here and elsewhere, just today.

How many people have them, and have had reason to use them? Or is it a little like insurance, in that you may never need them, but that one time ...

They are pretty cheap, so why not get one? As per my post on another thread, I have just saved £175 on a wheel repair that would have been impossible without evidence. Mine is not hard wired yet - I just run the lead to rear seat power socket and plug in there

21 minutes ago, Monkeyfinger said:

They are pretty cheap, so why not get one? As per my post on another thread, I have just saved £175 on a wheel repair that would have been impossible without evidence. Mine is not hard wired yet - I just run the lead to rear seat power socket and plug in there

I had same with my other car E60 when the garage took it out after a service and curbed the wheel without camera I’d have blamed the wife 

Thanks for the info Deganwyman - something I have been thinking about but have put off doing as I was concerned about wires showing.

Already on this post, enough reasons to get one installed pronto!    

I’ve got hard wired too. Too cheap not to have and could save a real headache. Have a dual set up with a camera on rear as well, hardwired, not a single visible wire :). Hardwiring also prevents DAB dropouts

Pics attached - screen obviously goes off after couple of seconds so really discreet.

191ADC9C-A2AD-4141-A7CF-370E0C486B40.jpeg

64DD802A-DDE8-4A4D-82D3-0FAC0C14BF40.jpeg

Edited by sjak92
More info added

Had one since day one in my G30. I work in Accident Management and they are a godsend when it comes to working out who is at fault. Having lost two driver side wing mirrors off a Range Rover Vogue (£750 a pop ! ) it was time to get all our personal vehicles fitted with them. We've had cases at the office that you'd think were our clients fault when you talk to the third party, but when you produce our drivers dash cam footage its funny how the story always changes! If you don't already have one, get one! It could save you a huge amount on your insurance premium if you have an accident and it ends up going against you due to a 'suspect' witness or lies from the other driver.

So strange that the marketeers at BMW haven't sorted this as an option as yet, I'd have one as an option but the thought of wires running across the cockpit don't appeal.

Need a wireless version :rolleyes: perhaps there is............

BacktoBeemer- I got mine all fitted at Halfords. Hard wired to the car so no annoying wires to be seen. Best of all I can unplug the actual dash cam from the mount as its magnetic and has a powered mount. Nextbase 512GW. I know what you mean though, why BMW haven't yet built these into the rear view mirror with an SD card slot in the side is beyond me. I'd have paid for that option if it was available

4 hours ago, Andrew530dmsport said:

" I got mine all fitted at Halfords. Hard wired to the car so no annoying wires to be seen. Best of all I can unplug the actual dash cam from the mount as its magnetic and has a powered mount. Nextbase 512GW...."

Hi Andrew, any chance of a couple of pics? How is the stick-on mount, I read a couple of reports where they fell off and broke?

Awaiting home delivery on March 1 but feel it may be delayed by weather/delivery! I am tempted by model you have but still also interested by Blackvue and mirror mount and power but it works out pretty expensive.

Cheers

Alan

Morning Alan, I'll take some pics once I can get into the vehicle. It's covered in ice currently !! Cheers, Andy

Dash Cam pics. The first shows the mount which has the power supply to it so you only need to slide the actual camera off the mount when leaving the vehicle. However, I leave it in place as it records / detects an impact when the vehicle is locked and parked, nice feature. when in the drivers seat, you can't see the wire as its obscured by the overhead console. Picture quality is very good and you do get a wide angle of view of about 140 degrees. I think it was an extra £30 to get Halfords to dashcam1.png.d6d4861f74476925efb6c47a0b22d9e2.pngDashcam2.png.22ed1dbfb1c93cd6ac61e57b7cd9c34b.png

19 hours ago, BacktoBeemer said:

So strange that the marketeers at BMW haven't sorted this as an option as yet, I'd have one as an option but the thought of wires running across the cockpit don't appeal.

Agreed ref the OEM but if you fit one properly there will be no visible wires...

I've had camera's in our cars for the past 8 or so years and would now feel vulnerable without one.

Currently have this in my F11 and it's invisible to me in the drivers seat, and not many people notice it in the passenger seat.

bCzZ3GtaMq4EyJD1IoUkITSc5r83259edhq_ymuVNzcb3b-KX3EYobrKmxd6kV2gsyMzHVtvbiLz9mZ0GHyat2XYNrYfk1tW3cv4rM6OJTjSC5mt2xgn6j59gn5GICkTKVpu5IQwggQSNwSSjyvCXjQg1N41P0HmEeXZ-VoL4hG0Zo64tp1ApAQTygxhwpSrM0iiaLu8z07j1Sg6_7TEJaXn6mwKo3AdOU-SQjC4slb_qTBSNnIIkoCsi66XYRjPR_ySbm0eAOjA1VXoWYutQau9AukmU0I_1-IakqUMhuxYfT6Zsx19PkZzp9NyPYBxxFJijxq-tJu2WvoNFVicFmk2m_ZAlxR_vpttaXOhaAC8hQrn9_F8r5lSTFW43Dq9cmRADXtwndnKZjBk0EYBPeR85K7CHNEjjz0BM8qucWSRnt4Sj-VOAzrTYb2iyEHeFRyjcMQCuVOE02hIm1VPxNmsoDCuETR658ikkBRPvJkwlFPGSBFAryOdy8CNL6YjpBU9Bo2YJR0LHCUja5t68UCM1n8nmh-K0OcWFm2dj9Dqc_4CtEA2LY4hCvpi6IcyvfY_ETO5rd5U1OS-6ccPci8FoWWyjZwg_4FXW_nC=w1245-h933-no

Agree that a ‘competent’ individual (not sure I want to undertake this on a £50k new car) should be able to do it invisibly - given many new beemers seem to have as many cameras / radars / sensors as gears then it must be more efficient to link the technology in some way. Let’s face it BMW aren’t normally reticent when it comes to offering options.....:o

I've used a Dashcam for around 12 months.

About 9 months ago, while overtaking another car on cruise at 70 mph, the other driver, doing around 67 mph, drifted over and contacted the near side of my car.

He had dozed off!

Dashcam footage showed clearly what had happened, making my "no fault" insurance claim for £2,400 a piece of cake.

One of the questions on an insurance quote application recently was " Dashcam Fitted?"

Like Rear View cameras, they should be fitted as standard.

30 minutes ago, Syd said:

One of the questions on an insurance quote application recently was " Dashcam Fitted?"

I'd never offer that information to my insurers, even if they applied a discount because of it. The camera is for my benefit and I'll chose when I submit footage. I'd be interested to see what happens if the footage was unavailable for whatever reason following an incident. 

Same with house alarms, I have a fully monitored system but don't declare it to the insurance. The discount would soon be outweighed when I ever forgot to set it and they bent me over for the claim. 

On 26/02/2018 at 4:50 PM, Deganwyman said:

Afternoon Everyone this is my first post so here we go......

Ive just installed a dash cam into my G31 and hardwired it into the front offside fusebox. The install was very easy using a piggy back fuse holder and all the wiring is concealed. The fuse i used was F46, which powers down approx 5 minutes after locking the car. The wire was routed under the mirror housing (no need to remove) then across the drivers side headlining and down the A-pillar before terminating at the fusebox.

Hope this helps anyone else looking to do the same.

Thanks

Paul

Paul

May I ask which model of Cam you fitted please?

Thx
  •  

3 minutes ago, sshooie said:

Looks like a transcend 

Thanks - are they any good? I know nothing about dashcams, but I think I need one...!

Anybody got any recommendations please??

Yup transcend are very good, also have a look at the A119 for around £70 iirc on Amazon, very covert, fitting quite flush with the screen. 

Photo of mine just above. 

Edited by sshooie

21 minutes ago, AndrewC said:

No problems it’s a Transcend 220, there are plenty of good ones out there. It’s not the smallest on the market but fits nicely behind the mirror so can’t be seen when driving.