R44M BM

Carbon Black ///M5

Hi all,

After years of procrastinating, I decided it was time to get my dream car (as a youth)

The e39 was always a special car to me, the timeless and classic BMW looks and the "wolf in sheep's clothing" character. I had to itch this scratch and tick this off my bucket list! With prices slowly creeping up, the search had to begin!

I decided to start looking for an e39 last year.

I had a specific choice of specification:

Black Facelift

Black leather

Titanium interior trim

As standard as possible

In October, I found one which seemed to tick my boxes in Wales and after confirming a price and arranging a deal, the seller decided he was keeping the car and did not end up selling the car to me. I was heartbroken.

Many M5s have been on the market since but non caught my eye up until a few weeks ago.

I set my eyes on a 2002 M5 which looked like it needed some TLC but ticked my boxes. Black, Facelift and with the interior I wanted.

After seeing the car, it was clear it needed some loving as it has been parked up for some time and neglected however it was now or never and I wanted a car which needed (some) loving. After a test drive, the deal was done and I was the owner of a M5!

Heres the Original Spec:

Tyre Pressure Control

Gradual Tint Windscreen

Electric Steel Sunroof

First Aid Kit and Triangle

Smoker Package

Individual Audio System

Through Load System

Park Distance Control

Rain Sensor and Auto Light Activation

On-Board Monitor with TV Cordless GSM Telephone

BMW 6 Disc CD Changer

Australia version

Ski Bag

Front Sliding Arm Rest

CD Preparation

She has some (subtle) mods - a tubi exhaust, window tints (they will be coming off ASAP!) and the previous owner ripped out most of the OEM sound system!

My plan is to restore her to her former glory!

I have a list of things I want to do!

I have a few other cars in my Garage including a Stage 2 Golf R and Audi S5 (3.0 Supercharged)

2cf2rvb.jpg

Window tints removed - I feel the M5 is one of those cars where more is less - and a black car with tints looks a bit too moody!

17_img-20180217-wa0030.jpg

Update:

Feb 10th 2018: 

The car was fully serviced (Inspection 2) and inspected with a fine tooth comb.

We discovered the car has developed a growl at 2000rpm onwards and we suspect the big end bearings need replacing ASAP :cry:

The list continues:

There is weeping from the rear diff so that will need a rebuild at some point in the near future and the rear brake lines look perished.

One of the front discs are warped

Rear O/S shock absorber has very slight misting of oil

Headlight adjuster brackets need replacing (the beam is barely legal)

On a positive note, My private plate is finally on the car ^_^

oh75FSe.jpg

Edited by R44M BM

Update:

Sat 24th Feb.

The growling noise after 2500rpm was just as we suspected, the rod bearings showed serious signs of wear. With the previous owner changing the VANOS, chain tensioner and valve guides, the rod bearings (the only other major job they didn't carry out) decided to give in 3 weeks into MY ownership!

We were unphased, With the parts costing over £500, an evening late after work, we found why the engine sounded like a bag of spanners! Luckily we prevented further damage to the engine.

The car now sounds as good as new.:)

IMG-20180317-WA0093.jpg

IMG-20180317-WA0094.jpg

IMG-20180317-WA0095.jpg

IMG-20180320-WA0056.jpg

A few shiny bits arrived for the M5 (All Brand new)

OEM Kidney grilles

OEM centre caps, M badges

OEM BMW bonnet badge

Hopefully when the weather clears up, I will have the chance to polish the car and fit some of these bits.

The wheels require a refurb too as I want the original shadow chrome finish. Just deciding where to get them refurbed ... any suggestions?

IMG-20180301-WA0029.jpg

IMG-20180322-WA0066.jpg

Nice looking project. I have great memories of my CB e39 M5, they're pretty much the perfect all-round everyday car.

Have to agree re tints, however you're doing yourself no favours with the daft incorrectly spaced number plate!

C.

Such a clean car!

I often think of doing an interior swap-out and change my sand beige interior and dash for black, as per my previous 530i; but not sure I'd cope with black o black :lol:

Yours looks very well though I have to say 8) 

We had some clear weather yesterday!  decided to do some bits to the the E39!

OEM F86 LED number plates unit fitted.

fitting was almost plug and play as i got the LED units with the connector loom still plugged in and cut from the X6M

just required soldering and coding... they physically fit the E39 too..Unlike after market units these don't light up half of the road behind you making the plate ineligible! Coded out the "cold checking" on the LCM too so no strobe effects on start up.

29871974_10157277990878976_3631487637676195702_o.jpg

29983757_10157278371073976_1212233157062215563_o.jpg

30167616_10157278371343976_3892049815526144811_o.jpg

Sat 14th April:

We removed the headlights and repaired both the adjustment clips. A pain in the backside especially when we did not want to remove the lenses as I am concerned any replacement sealant is inferior to the OEM sealant and the last thing I want is misty headlights.

Just need to take the car into work to make sure the beam pattern is legal!

20180414_145446.jpg

Monday 16th April.

With the weather warming up, it was a perfect time to remove all the seats and locate the water leak.

Whilst we were there decided to clean the carpet using a combination of a vacuum cleaner, "Autobrite direct Fab upholstery cleaner" and the Vax.

Heres the interior with the seats removed

20180413_161007.thumb.jpg.1c5d61b361ee0b0e29d5376cf283b5ac.jpg

Heres the interior after a henry hoover session and Fab cleaner with the aid of a carpet brush

20180413_165303.thumb.jpg.c2c60be32b334bb663bd27d753e64b4c.jpg

Heres the final result after the vax removed 15 years of grime!

20180413_185339.thumb.jpg.5fff08da0b6cfa9e51d25221f4f90cfc.jpg

20180413_185747.thumb.jpg.a32e1e63608b3734912e7687e47b27cd.jpg

As suspected, the vapour seal on the passenger side rear door is letting water in! 

hopefully sorting the leak this week!

^^ Easy enough fix, just make sure you clear all the original sealant off and give the inner door a slight 'key' before you attached the new sealant, makes it stick better then

Best done whilst it's all warm too!

This stuff is perfect for it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B0036APFJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524348971&sr=1-1&keywords=W4+Narrow+Mastic+Sealing+Strip

11 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

^^ Easy enough fix, just make sure you clear all the original sealant off and give the inner door a slight 'key' before you attached the new sealant, makes it stick better then

Best done whilst it's all warm too!

This stuff is perfect for it: https://www.amazon.co.uk/W4-Narrow-Mastic-Sealing-Strip/dp/B0036APFJM/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1524348971&sr=1-1&keywords=W4+Narrow+Mastic+Sealing+Strip

Cheers Dan, ordered! I agree - the trick is in the prep work.. will post my results! :)

Just now, R44M BM said:

Cheers Dan, ordered! I agree - the trick is in the prep work.. will post my results! :)

;)

My advice would be that when you lay the sealant on; don't spread it, but push the membrane into/onto it and then let it spread a bit. Fills all the nooks and crannies then and holds well

This stuff is what all the flat-cap caravaners use and we all know how much these damned sheds twist about on the motorways when it's shed-draggers holiday :lol: 

So if it's good enough for that; it'll surely hold the membrane on fine :mrgreen: 

Update: May 7th

thanks @d_a_n1979 for suggesting the Amazon Mastic Sealing Tape. 

Worked a treat! spent some considerable time prepping the surface ensuring old adhesive was gone and made sure it was perfectly clean. 

Applied the mastic tape, put the membrane on and let it dry

then got my karcher and sprayed directly at where the water was leaking and hey presto! all dry!!

its been a few weeks and the mouldy damp smell has almost gone!

20180505_185514.jpg

13 minutes ago, R44M BM said:

Update: May 7th

thanks @d_a_n1979 for suggesting the Amazon Mastic Sealing Tape. 

Worked a treat! spent some considerable time prepping the surface ensuring old adhesive was gone and made sure it was perfectly clean. 

Applied the mastic tape, put the membrane on and let it dry

then got my karcher and sprayed directly at where the water was leaking and hey presto! all dry!!

its been a few weeks and the mouldy damp smell has almost gone!

20180505_185514.jpg

Good job well done :) 

Recent updates:

• 2018 Maps / V32 firmware with 3d (Birds eye) view maps and custom ///M boot screen
    Even though I use Waze on my mobile phone, always good to have the latest maps / firmware on the car - the ///M logo adds some bhp i am sure ;)

• TrafficMaster unit replaced with OEM Cupholders 
    The cup holders are flimsy ..but atleast the centre console has some purpose now. Cup holders can hold cans and small coffee cups with ease

• Headlight clips replaced 
    I can finally see the road! managed to work on the lights without the need to remove the lenses ..

• Osram CoolBlueBoost headlight bulbs fitted
    These light up the road well, looks so much more modern. I was running Xenarc night breakers, however the Osram CoolBlue are amazing. They have the highest Lumens rating for a d2s bulb. 

• Steering wheel replaced with OEM wheel (slightly thicker) courtesy of Royal Steering Wheels
    The car feels brand new now!! I opted for the non perforated wheel to match the OEM finish along with the tricolour stitching

• F10 Gearknob fitted with custom tri colour stitching along with matching handbrake boot
    with the f10 knob being weighted, the throw feels "connected" more and satisfying. The oem broomstick knob was shockingly bad! 

• OEM Chrome kidney grilles fitted
    Front end looks so much better with the correct grilles, breaks up the lines too..

• AirCon regassed (now ice cold!)
    With the aircon not working, I was worried one it may have been a painful fix but a simple regas has fixed things

• AutoDimming Mirror glass replaced
    we got the mirror from "Mirror John" who is well known on the scene for providing replacing glass for the E39 / E46

• ///M badge refreshed
    thanks to a replacement sticker which can be purchased from ebay which can be purchased for around £6

So many more bits to do including refurbishing the alloys in the original shadow chrome, suspension and brake overhual but slowly getting there!

20180524_112846.jpg

20180519_221358.jpg

20180520_221027.jpg

20180515_182306.jpg

20180524_114416.jpg

20180515_205604.jpg

20180521_191606.jpg

20180520_200612.jpg

Such a good build @R44M BM ;) New wheel looks spot on. 

I must pull my finger out and send Jack some £££ to get a re-trimmed wheel myself...!

Another minor update!

dropped off my car last week to Chapman Detailing I saw his interior a few months ago where he dyed his seats which brought life back to the interior. The previous owner did a poor job of dyeing his seats and I knew Tony was the best man for the job! 

His unit is in Surrey, fully secure and Tony has a slight case of OCD so I knew he was going to do a good job!

Seats and door cards were removed, cleaned, treated, dyed and protected...

I was like a kid at christmas when I was collecting the car..

I will let the pictures do the talking!

Screenshot_20180601-190433_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20180601-190419_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20180601-190100_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20180601-190407_WhatsApp.jpg

Screenshot_20180530-145523_Messenger (1).jpg

On 6/4/2018 at 12:45 PM, Jameswsb said:

Looks amazing that, would love the same done to mine. At the risk of sounding cheeky, roughly what was the damage?

Hi James, if you contact Tony Chapman Detailing, he will give you a customised quote.. as he owed me a favour my price was discounted ... Just mention me and he will look after you (believe me!)

Another minor update:

I went to see Baris / CarPhonics over the weekend.. I went for the stage 2 BM54 and converted my analogue TV tuner to digital.

The stage 2 BM54 is well worth doing! the sound difference is phenomenal!
The freeview reception is spot on! only lost reception a few times during a 45 min drive.

I have my M Audio Sub Woofers in transit from the states, I am hoping to amp them up as thats what everyone suggests on M5board...

Screenshot_20180613-114317_WhatsApp (1).jpg

7 hours ago, R44M BM said:

Another minor update:

I went to see Baris / CarPhonics over the weekend.. I went for the stage 2 BM54 and converted my analogue TV tuner to digital.

The stage 2 BM54 is well worth doing! the sound difference is phenomenal!
The freeview reception is spot on! only lost reception a few times during a 45 min drive.

I have my M Audio Sub Woofers in transit from the states, I am hoping to amp them up as thats what everyone suggests on M5board...

Screenshot_20180613-114317_WhatsApp (1).jpg

Now that is something else, what was the damage if you don't mind me asking?

1 hour ago, Essex boy said:

Now that is something else, what was the damage if you don't mind me asking?

The BM54 stage 2 is £149 and the DTV stage 2 (with OEM steering wheel control) is £299... but PM me if you are interested as I may be able to get trade discount ;)