R44M BM

Carbon Black ///M5

Update:

I have started to concentrate on the exterior / chassis

I managed to secure the last remaining stock of the E39 M5 SACHS shock absorbers via EuroCarParts. These are OEM (M5 are silver painted shocks) and unbelievably lightweight! so much so that I had to open the boxes to make sure they had the shocks inside! they are made of aluminium.

Also got ATE front/rear discs (OEM again) and Ferodo DS2500 pads. 

I have been wanting a M5 for 15 years or so - i have been planning the restoration in my head for years!!

I know the E39 M5 ring taxi was totally OEM apart from ducting and aftermarket brake pads. 

If that setup was good enough for the ring taxi then I am sure it will be fine for me!!

For anyone wondering why I did not go aftermarket (Bilstein Shocks / coilovers), the main reason is because so many E39 M5 owners regret changing from OEM to aftermarket as the car does not handle as good as OEM.

Another point to consider is that the car is 15 years + old... replacing the suspension will be a night / day difference!

I am removing the calipers and sending them away for a refurb (possibly painting them BMW Performance blue) and refurbishing the alloys in the original shadow chrome finish...

20180613_220113.jpg

51 minutes ago, R44M BM said:

The BM54 stage 2 is £149 and the DTV stage 2 (with OEM steering wheel control) is £299... but PM me if you are interested as I may be able to get trade discount ;)

That's not bad at all, especially if all done professionally! Once I get mine i'll be asking you …..

The carphonics stage 2 amp upgrade is great. I had it done on mine last year and the sound quality is appreciably improved. Also had the bluetooth streaming dongle installed which works very well indeed.

Curious as to how you managed to get the M5 shocks from ECP!? are you positive these arent for the 540i? never heard of anyone managing to get oem shockers anywhere other than the stealers for a kings ransom.

I think you will be happy with the mild brake upgrade, I was looking at a bbk but went for new oem disks, rebuilt calipers, SS lines and DS2500 pads and the brakes are soooo much better. Much improved bite, firmer pedal and huge stopping power, to the point where its very easy to trigger the abs.

Great thread this, keep it going!!  

1 hour ago, Jameswsb said:

The carphonics stage 2 amp upgrade is great. I had it done on mine last year and the sound quality is appreciably improved. Also had the bluetooth streaming dongle installed which works very well indeed.

Curious as to how you managed to get the M5 shocks from ECP!? are you positive these arent for the 540i? never heard of anyone managing to get oem shockers anywhere other than the stealers for a kings ransom.

I think you will be happy with the mild brake upgrade, I was looking at a bbk but went for new oem disks, rebuilt calipers, SS lines and DS2500 pads and the brakes are soooo much better. Much improved bite, firmer pedal and huge stopping power, to the point where its very easy to trigger the abs.

Good to read that!

Even though mines only a 530i; I do feel the brakes already are very good. A BBK would have been more for looks IMO and at c£1100, not cheap at all!

I am toying with the idea up doing a full brake overhaul again and going for Mtec C hook discs all round with DS2500 pads up front and similar on the rear... Where did you source your DS2500s (I think the 530i and 540i/M5 share the same calipers, don't they, it's just the discs that are different)?

1 hour ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Good to read that!

Even though mines only a 530i; I do feel the brakes already are very good. A BBK would have been more for looks IMO and at c£1100, not cheap at all!

I am toying with the idea up doing a full brake overhaul again and going for Mtec C hook discs all round with DS2500 pads up front and similar on the rear... Where did you source your DS2500s (I think the 530i and 540i/M5 share the same calipers, don't they, it's just the discs that are different)?

Yeah totally agree, I very nearly got seduced by a bbk but they are massive money and appear to be a waste for cars used primarily on the road (it is a 5 series after all!). Glad I didnt bother now as the brakes are now excellent. Still needs to swap the rears too, so I'm expecting even further improvement. 

I got them from ebay funnily enough, the fronts were from a private seller who bought them for his Quattroporte (same caliper by the looks of it), but flogged the car without fitting them. The rears came from WG Motorparts. 

I dont think the caliper is the same tbh, the M5's are stamped with the 'M' logo and have a bigger piston, although I could be wrong. Should be easy enough to find some for your 530 though. Good luck.

25 minutes ago, Jameswsb said:

Yeah totally agree, I very nearly got seduced by a bbk but they are massive money and appear to be a waste for cars used primarily on the road (it is a 5 series after all!). Glad I didnt bother now as the brakes are now excellent. Still needs to swap the rears too, so I'm expecting even further improvement. 

I got them from ebay funnily enough, the fronts were from a private seller who bought them for his Quattroporte (same caliper by the looks of it), but flogged the car without fitting them. The rears came from WG Motorparts. 

I dont think the caliper is the same tbh, the M5's are stamped with the 'M' logo and have a bigger piston, although I could be wrong. Should be easy enough to find some for your 530 though. Good luck.

Cheers for that

Yes; I've found them easy enough. Prices vary wildly, but think it was Demon Tweaks that have them at £172 delivered and Tegiwa (of all places) at £163 delivered

I'll probably do this and up-rate the ARBs to the Eibach ones and that'll do nicely

Edited by d_a_n1979

3 hours ago, Jameswsb said:

James,

thanks for the encouragement,

They are defo 100% M5 shocks..working in the trade, i got my guy at Euro Car Parts to check stock.

I ensured the OEM part number matched:

31312229612 x2 (front) Sachs PN 556834

33521091922 (rear) Sachs PN 170857

also pretty sure (not certain!) that M5 shocks are silver and aluminium compared to 540i etc which are black and heavier..

I agree, the ds2500 pads will make a massive difference as well as the rebuilt calipers. I need to shop for some SS lines. Hopefully removing the calipers this weekend!

3 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Good to read that!

Guys, you will be shocked to hear that Amazon had the pads priced up at a bargain price of £114.83 (P/N FCP997H)

i have been hunting them down for months, they retail at around £200, some resellers have them at around £170 but when i saw them priced at £114.83 from amazon i snapped them up (prime delivery too!) they were the last ones in stock too!

I know, very jammy!! :lol:

Edited by R44M BM

3 minutes ago, R44M BM said:

James,

thanks for the encouragement,

They are defo 100% M5 shocks..working in the trade, i got my guy at Euro Car Parts to check stock.

I ensured the OEM part number matched:

31312229612 x2 (front) Sachs PN 556834

33521091922 (rear) Sachs PN 170857

also pretty sure (not certain!) that M5 shocks are silver and aluminium compared to 540i etc which are black and heavier..

I agree, the ds2500 pads will make a massive difference as well as the rebuilt calipers. I need to shop for some SS lines. Hopefully removing the calipers this weekend!

Go for the HEL ones pal; they're fully stainless and a lot cheaper than Goodridge ones. IMO better made too. I've had a few sets of Goodridge corrode on me, never again. Used HEL since they've been on the market and never any issues

Another recommendation would be to go for DOT 5.1, I used Motul brake fluid and it's always been very good

1 minute ago, R44M BM said:

Guys, you will be shocked to hear that Amazon had the pads priced up at a bargain price of £114.83 (P/N FCP997H)

i have been hunting them down for months, they retail at around £200, some resellers have them at around £170 but when i saw them priced at £114.83 from amazon i snapped them up (prime delivery too!) they were the last ones in stock too!

I know, very jammy!! :lol:

Git... :lol: 

On 6/15/2018 at 2:41 PM, d_a_n1979 said:

Go for the HEL ones pal; they're fully stainless and a lot cheaper than Goodridge ones. IMO better made too. I've had a few sets of Goodridge corrode on me, never again. Used HEL since they've been on the market and never any issues

Another recommendation would be to go for DOT 5.1, I used Motul brake fluid and it's always been very good

I went for HEL hoses and was impressed with the quality. The only thing to look out for when fitting them is that the fittings are a different shape than the originals and therefore they rattle about in the mounting brackets where they attach to the hard lines. I ended up using a thick washer to space them out (kinda hard to explain but I'll update my thread with pictures soon).

39 minutes ago, Jameswsb said:

I went for HEL hoses and was impressed with the quality. The only thing to look out for when fitting them is that the fittings are a different shape than the originals and therefore they rattle about in the mounting brackets where they attach to the hard lines. I ended up using a thick washer to space them out (kinda hard to explain but I'll update my thread with pictures soon).

Aye, have had similar issues before. We just used a rubber lines P clip

Not on the E39 mind, they fit fine

A few minor updates:

had a new windscreen fitted as it still had its original screen and there was loads of stone chips which was annoying me!!
replacement was Pilkington and OEM replacement with the climate feature. Cleaned and polished the glass and applied a few layers of Autobrite direct "Hell Shine - Ghost Rider" which repels water very well!

20180821_094030.thumb.jpg.cb156f360a116240a13960ef74acd3b6.jpg

20180821_161529.thumb.jpg.3061ead7f55b21a80169b6a62e7cb909.jpg

Here is HellShine Ghost Rider in action!

Stipped the rear offside door to see why the door refused to open from the outside, discovered I need a new handle and cable.. purchased the cable from the stealers and I managed to find the handle  in carbon black on ebay.de

fitted my new mats

20180708_195108.thumb.jpg.2bc4c2b42f35d8baed1171ad093b8f58.jpg

Also got Chapman Detailing over to refurbish the dashboard as it was showing signs of wear and tear ! its safe to say the interior looks factory fresh!

20180719_212359.thumb.jpg.1cdea97d37300a6cf3235ed043cd028e.jpg

Love the F10 gearknob, the throw /weight feels spot on!

20180719_212703.thumb.jpg.640fad7980886bcd0b82e7802854ae9c.jpg

Some random pics after a long drive and wash!

Screenshot_20180715-220228_WhatsApp.thumb.jpg.44a5d5108116cb2b825246a3cec2c4a2.jpg

20180708_211509.thumb.jpg.7f55d5c25cb54b3f450c4b672511703d.jpg

Plans for the coming months:

Send the brakes off to be overhauled 
fit the new OEM discs / Ferodo DS2500 pads
refurbish the wheels and fit the new OEM decals / centre caps / wheel bolts
fit the new suspension (OEM)

Edited by R44M BM