erv77

Latest verdict on CCV parts?

Hi All,

Been a very long time since I've posted - but still have my 2001 530i touring, it's on 149k now (had it 6yrs!). I'll need to change my CCV:

Reading mixed reviews about doing a CCV delete - anyone had a more positive, recent and effective solution?

Else happy to change it. Read the usual 'must be OEM' and on flea bay it's £40 for cheapo kits and £80 for Febi/Myle kits (have also ask Cotswold for a quote). Any suggestions on the the most cost effective option that still performs to OEM standards?

Thanks

Whatever you do make sure you buy the 4 pipes as well

They will almost certainly disintegrate when you strip it down

Easiest way to get access is to remove inlet manifold but you'll probably need new gaskets

Alternative way is to remove oil filter housing for access, this will also need a gasket but as it's a common source of oil leak that's no bad thing.

Fiddly job, make sure you give youself plenty of time :-)

Hi.

No need to remove OFH unless you plan to change the gasket.

Plenty of diy s on YouTube.

All u have to do is remove air filter+ boots going to throttle body, couple more bits then throttle body off and there u go you have access, it is not great but doable that way

Not sure if best to buy cold weather CCV kit or the normal one, somebody  else on the forum may know best in regards to that

In my opinion original BMW ccv or aftermarket is pretty much same , Meyle or Febi both good , its just loads of plastic bits nothing fancy

https://youtu.be/tMwVe0NAcZs

Edited by amazighman

Cheers for the tips guys. I may just plump for the cold weather version as I only do 5 miles to and from train station. No leaks from OFH - interestingly, I did oil change on wife's Volvo XC90 and pretty much the same OFH (slightly smaller filter!).

I deleted mine, bought some proper oil pipes and an alloy catch can (with dipstick, never the one with the "fill level" tube on the side, they don't hold vacuum). I blocked the intake on the distribution piece with a silicone cap, and blocked the dipstick tube. I took the vacuum feed from one of the two small (factory capped) feeds at the rear of the intake manifold.  Prior to fix I was burning oil at about 1/2l per 500miles, now I hardly ever have to top up. Have run my CCV delete for 6 months now, and recently emptied the catch can. It was 3/4 full with  brownish whipped cream baileys mayonnaise which would otherwise have been sucked into my intake manifold. UK weather is too damp and shitty for ccv's imo, and with their multiple failure modes are not worth the risk/effort/cost to keep replacing. If you CCV delete make sure your rocker gasket is good. I used an Elring gasket, nice and fat, doesn't leak vacuum.  I will get round to posting a how to, with a part list soonish but have a look at Nathan's DIY in YouTube. There is one guy in the UK on YouTube who has done a similar job to mine but he used silicone pipes. You have to use proper oil pipes, oil vapour condensing back to oil eats silicone pipes. Hope this helps. 

29 minutes ago, Scousebastard said:

I deleted mine, bought some proper oil pipes and an alloy catch can (with dipstick, never the one with the "fill level" tube on the side, they don't hold vacuum). I blocked the intake on the distribution piece with a silicone cap, and blocked the dipstick tube. I took the vacuum feed from one of the two small (factory capped) feeds at the rear of the intake manifold.  Prior to fix I was burning oil at about 1/2l per 500miles, now I hardly ever have to top up. Have run my CCV delete for 6 months now, and recently emptied the catch can. It was 3/4 full with  brownish whipped cream baileys mayonnaise which would otherwise have been sucked into my intake manifold. UK weather is too damp and shitty for ccv's imo, and with their multiple failure modes are not worth the risk/effort/cost to keep replacing. If you CCV delete make sure your rocker gasket is good. I used an Elring gasket, nice and fat, doesn't leak vacuum.  I will get round to posting a how to, with a part list soonish but have a look at Nathan's DIY in YouTube. There is one guy in the UK on YouTube who has done a similar job to mine but he used silicone pipes. You have to use proper oil pipes, oil vapour condensing back to oil eats silicone pipes. Hope this helps. 

I fully understand the idea of eliminating the CCV valve,we all know how bad the BMW M54 CCV is.

But for me i like to keep things as manufacturer intended plus CCV helps recirculating crank gases which is good for environment.

Once you replace the failed CCV once and get to grips with it i am sure when u do it again it ll take you half the time, plus parts arent that expensive..

Zero issues with my CCVs here on all the BMW's I've had...

Running the engine hard on a regular basis IMO will keep the build up low...

It's not the best design I know, but like to keep things OEM etc

11 hours ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Zero issues with my CCVs here on all the BMW's I've had...

Running the engine hard on a regular basis IMO will keep the build up low...

It's not the best design I know, but like to keep things OEM etc

I had to have all the CCV stuff replaced not long after I bought the car, around 110k miles. I'd hoped never to have to do it again because with labour costs it is not a cheap job. But I never run the engine hard let alone regularly, so... 

I used the i6 DISA repair kit - easy job and great kit (with useful instructions as I recall). Quite uncomfortable listening to the failed flap knocking about inside!!

I am tempted by the delete, but I do need to get on with the job as I'm a tad overdue - I only do 3k miles a year and feel sorry for my e39 with the short trips to the station in this cold weather (I use a station further away so the engine gets to temp!). Plus I must be getting 8mpg!!

My rocker cover is slightly warped (£300 for a new one and I see little point in a used one unless I can check it first). The oil leak is much worse at the mo. Did the gasket I reckon over 30k miles ago - will do it again and the vanos seals (yes, why haven't I done this sooner!!)

Cheers guys

1 hour ago, Tuvoc said:

I had to have all the CCV stuff replaced not long after I bought the car, around 110k miles. I'd hoped never to have to do it again because with labour costs it is not a cheap job. But I never run the engine hard let alone regularly, so... 

A good blast here and there will do it wonders!

I'm lucky that even though I only do around 3-4k miles a year, I travel every day up a stretch of the M6 to the next junction heading to training, so the car generally gets floored (within sensible, safe limits) etc

What a pig of a job! Mine had split a pipe as I had oil on the drive (well, more than usual - it's an old beemer!). Did it without removing the inlet/manifold thing - not removing it made the 's' pipe that goes into the top of the CCV much more difficult - eventually figured out that the Meyle has a twist on system as opposed to snapping on,  i.e. line it up at the correct angle and it slides on easy (considering you're pushing from the other site of the inlet) and twist till it stops and it's done! My kit came with the 6 O rings for the top of the inlet (distributor) - the old ones were flat and brittle. The new ones sat in their bag in a cup of hot water to help fitting. I could not unblock the small pipe that goes into the oil dip stick tube - tried wire, brake cleaner - I was stumped. In the end I took the pressure washer to it but I'm not convinced it did the job. Oh and I had one random loose connector (just below the plastic box that's attached under the upper boot) - it looked dirty inside suggesting it was never connected to anything - I could not find anywhere to plug it in so left if! Car runs fine now - no smoke, jittery revs, even pulls away better now. My old CCV system had done 149k and was blocked solid with mayo - the CCV just poured out beige liquid - well overdue!! Thanks to C3BMW for quick and well packed dispatch - I got the Meyle kit which seems good quality, I just can't figure out how some bits of plastic cost 80 squid!! The barge lives on!! Cheers the tips gents