Sign in to follow this  
duncan-uk

Storing wheels any tips to preserve?

So my garage whilst dry seems to suffer slightly from damp air where I store my wheels. 

Old e46 rims suffered a bit of oxidisation so thinking I should treat my winter set with something. 

What would that be? Wipe with some wd40 or oil or is there some sort of spray I could use?

I'd personally just give them a thorough clean, dry them off thoroughly and then wax them well and let it set, buff off and wax again etc

You can get specific wheel storage bags, but heavy duty bin liners with an few small holes to let them 'breathe' would be more than adequate etc

Wheel Bags are great but you need a very dry garage, otherwise they will sweat if fully wrapped.

I have many sets stored in my garage and find the most effective way is to place the bottom wheel laid flat on two wooden battens. This ensures no damp from the floor and allows air to circulate. If they have no tyres then a simple piece of cardboard laid between each wheel will stop then slipping and rubbing. Rotate them (top to bottom) every few weeks and all should be fine.

As mentioned above, a good clean and a coat of wheel wax will also help against and oxidisation. ;)

C.

Edited by cableguy

The garage is dry but cold so I think its condensation more than damp as paper doesn't wrinkle when stored. Wax and air flow should do it. 

I store my wheels cleaned in large poly bags that the AUC dealer had them in. The lowest wheel is sat on a square off cut of carpet which is sat on raised sheet of chipboard so they are off the concrete floor. Between each wheel bag is another  square of carpet to protect them from each other.