Parvus77

Speed Limit Display?

Hi all,

Super excited!!  Ordered a new G31 in November for March UK delivery (new 18 plate) and heard this week the car has been delivered to the dealer... WooHoo!

Could not resist visiting today for a sneak peak and look around and noticed a potential BONUS!  

When I started the car I noticed the speed limit 30mph displayed on the dial, and within the Head-up Display.  I really wanted this feature but understood it was only available in the Driving Assistance packages which I was not interested in.

Some of the options I did choose included the Tech package for the HUD and Active Cruise as a separate option, so can only think these options somehow include the added feature.

Does anyone else have the speed limit information with HUD and no driving assistance packages?

Potentially a great addition and surprise, something I will find out on March 1st collection.  But I have to say the BMW Genius seem to lack the product knowledge, and dealership.  When I asked about the additional service I was told the minimum option for this service would be Driving Assistance package AND folding mirrors, neither options I ordered! 

Also, does anyone know if the speed limit display is based on the Sat Nav database or other recognition?  

2 weeks and counting

I was expecting speed limit display on my g30 that came in December however it was not included, I was sure in the original brochure it was without hud, indeed a colleague has the Same spec as me but 6 months older and he does have it and lane departure warning, was a little disappointed, but if I don’t know what the speed limit is on any given road I should not be out there, lol

all in all great car this is my 3rd 5 series in 6 years

Speed limit is part of active cruise, mine seems to be sat nav based as it’s frequently wrong. It’s a handy function though so it’s forgiven the odd hiccup.

Edited by Johnyboy

I believe it is the same camera module used for adaptive lights. If you have those, it could potentially be a simple coding option 

Definitely works off the camera and sat nav in mine...it shows upcoming limit changes via sat nav and will detect temporary signs and sometimes signs on side roads with the camera. Whilst we should all know what the speeds should be, it works well in conjunction with the physical speed limiter in the car to keep on right side of the law.

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

I believe it is the same camera module used for adaptive lights. If you have those, it could potentially be a simple coding option 

I’m hoping you’re right as I’d like the function adding 

Thanks all,

I have the Adpative Lights and Adaptive Cruise so fingers crossed they’ve added the coding to support the feature.

I understood the car had completed its PDC so hopefully the feature remains on collection day... fingers crossed!  

1 hour ago, Parvus77 said:

Thanks all,

I have the Adpative Lights and Adaptive Cruise so fingers crossed they’ve added the coding to support the feature.

I understood the car had completed its PDC so hopefully the feature remains on collection day... fingers crossed!  

I suppose if it doesn’t remain it at least means it can be coded 

8 hours ago, Parvus77 said:

Thanks all,

It doesn't need coding it's a standard part of the adaptive cruise. It can't be totally camera based though, as it gets confused if you drive over a motorway bridge for instance.

Pretty sure Adaptive Cruise requires a some hardware like the whopper radar under the front grill, used in conjunction with radar on the windscreen, and steering wheel changes.  Once the hardware is available assume the simple coding updates.  

On 2/15/2018 at 6:46 PM, Parvus77 said:

Hi all,

Super excited!!  Ordered a new G31 in November for March UK delivery (new 18 plate) and heard this week the car has been delivered to the dealer... WooHoo!

Could not resist visiting today for a sneak peak and look around and noticed a potential BONUS!  

When I started the car I noticed the speed limit 30mph displayed on the dial, and within the Head-up Display.  I really wanted this feature but understood it was only available in the Driving Assistance packages which I was not interested in.

Some of the options I did choose included the Tech package for the HUD and Active Cruise as a separate option, so can only think these options somehow include the added feature.

Does anyone else have the speed limit information with HUD and no driving assistance packages?

Potentially a great addition and surprise, something I will find out on March 1st collection.  But I have to say the BMW Genius seem to lack the product knowledge, and dealership.  When I asked about the additional service I was told the minimum option for this service would be Driving Assistance package AND folding mirrors, neither options I ordered! 

Also, does anyone know if the speed limit display is based on the Sat Nav database or other recognition?  

2 weeks and counting

It is on the £20k Vauxhall insignia I hired this week on holiday... As well as HUD And surprised how well it works.

Edited by reggie59

9 hours ago, Hudds.taz said:

Not bothered about ACC looking at the picture it maybe able to be coded 

I had it on my last car, it was the only option that I considered an absolute necessity on my new one. It should be standard kit really.

Edited by Johnyboy

Adaptive Cruise has nothing to do with Speed Limit Display. 

My old man has an F34 and it does not have ACC. F series required a KAFAS camera to be able to do Speed Limit Display. 

Considering that the camera used for adaptive lights and Collision Warning (which is standard on all 5ers) is the same on cars with those two options and those with the addition of Lane Departure Warning judging by part numbers, the hardware should be in place for Speed Limit Display. 

Would be nice to hear from someone that has done coding on the G Series (5 or 7) which is not common yet 

1 hour ago, sjak92 said:

Adaptive Cruise has nothing to do with Speed Limit Display. 

My old man has an F34 and it does not have ACC. F series required a KAFAS camera to be able to do Speed Limit Display. 

Considering that the camera used for adaptive lights and Collision Warning (which is standard on all 5ers) is the same on cars with those two options and those with the addition of Lane Departure Warning judging by part numbers, the hardware should be in place for Speed Limit Display. 

Would be nice to hear from someone that has done coding on the G Series (5 or 7) which is not common yet 

It may have nothing to do with it, but if you spec ACC then speed limit display is included.

Mine is definitely not wholly based on a camera system, it frequently gets confused when you drive over or under roads with different speed limits, which must be GPS related. My colleague has a volvo that does exactly the same thing.

I don’t deny that, my car has has no SLI but when driving in Eco Pro and speeds alter on country roads, it will give the warming that speed limit is about to change without saying what it’s changing to specifically, so must have a database in nav

All is good and working fine!

Since collection the car DOES have the Speed Limit Control.  I did order Adaptive Cruise so can only assume it is added as a feature.  Not sure if Adaptiva Lights are a dependency for the windscreen cameras, which I do have.

Must be codable in that case, ive read on other forums that it is easily done on G series cars as all have a KAFAS camera for the Active Security stuff. 

Will be attempting tonight.

4 hours ago, sjak92 said:

Must be codable in that case, ive read on other forums that it is easily done on G series cars as all have a KAFAS camera for the Active Security stuff. 

Will be attempting tonight.

Can you let me know as the guy who was coding mine this weekend couldn’t find it. I don’t adaptive cruise but I have the icon adaptive lights

Should be in KAFAS, will try using Bimmercode app