dan101smith

E36 328i Auto Saloon

'97 328i auto saloon in Mora Metallic with an individual leather interior, piped purple, and heated front seats (working).

Car has covered 126k miles.

MOT runs to 29 August 2018 - last one passed with no advisories.

I bought this car in Dec '16 and it has had very occasional use since then, but lots of time and money spent improving it:

- front to rear brake pipes replaced
- trailing arm brake pipes replaced
- rear flexi hoses replaced
- front ABS sensor replaced
- waterpump, thermostat and seals replaced
- tensioner and belt replaced
- spark plugs replaced
- oil service
- new ignition barrel (OEM)
- bootlid wiring repaired

All of the above work was carried out by Phil Crouch @ CPC.

In addition, I have replaced the following:

- Bilstein B4 front and rear shocks
- all top mounts, bump stops, rubbers etc replaced
- Purple tag rack fitted along with the proper E46 inner rods, E36 outers (new)
- 4 wheel alignment
- new number plates
- new key from BMW
- floor mats (eBay)
- new battery
- front bumper resprayed to remove stone chips

Other:

- Kenwood Bluetooth head unit

I bought a set of the 16" diamond-cut alloys it left the factory with, and these are fitted with a matching set of Toys T1-Rs with plenty of tread left. It is currently sitting on a set of 15" winter wheels with winter tyres - these will be included by negotiation.

The brakes had been replaced shortly before I bought the car, so they have ample life left too.

Being an E36, it does have a few niggles:

- I replaced the broken tail light with one that isn't for a check control car, so it flags an error
- the driver's window seal is torn - replacement included
- the wood centre console trim isn't great - replacement included
- headlight washers leak (like they all do)
- boot doesn't operate central locking - suspect a wire has been pinched again
- windscreen trim is peeling at the edges
- bodywork is that of a 20 year old car - a little bit of bubbling starting on one rear arch, plenty of scratches

So, all things that just need a bit of time to resolve - something I'm short of, sadly!

I've enjoyed this car immensely, and with the maintenance work and upgrades carried out it will suit someone who wants something they can use from Day 1, and with some time invested improve further. It definitely deserves to continue to be well looked after.

£2495

Located in Berkhamsted, Herts.

49 minutes ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Getting that way. E46's are junk and the E36 was the last 3 Series that wasn't designed by a lunatic and built from snap together plastic crap.

Surprised. But this is the pattern with used BMWs. Reach a price below a grand and then the decent ones start to increase to silly levels.

Just waiting for the value of my 540 to increase. Surely not long till I get back every penny Ive spent on it :lol:

20 hours ago, Piper said:

Surprised. But this is the pattern with used BMWs. Reach a price below a grand and then the decent ones start to increase to silly levels.

Just waiting for the value of my 540 to increase. Surely not long till I get back every penny Ive spent on it :lol:

I can see the above E36 in that spec shooting to 4k during the next 18 months ... It's lovely :wub:

shame I didn't have somewhere to store my 97 328 sport, I got shut a few months back for £1500 and it was in a lot better condition.

6 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

shame I didn't have somewhere to store my 97 328 sport, I got shut a few months back for £1500 and it was in a lot better condition.

Stupid thing to do. A decent E36 is hard to find now. 

8 hours ago, GoNz0 said:

Thought it was cheap at the time tbh.

56 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Thought it was cheap at the time tbh.

I know but it was still more than they went for on ebay, I just wanted it gone at the time, if I had somewhere to store it I would have had to sort a rusting arch and it was coming round to needing all the major things doing again, that and 2 of the BBS wheels had a buckle (and needed a full refurb on them all) roof lining shot as well. It had a good engine but you could fill a couple of pages of small problems/niggles and as we all know they soon mount up!

When I sat down and had a think about what it needed to return it to its former glory I just thought, fuck that I don't have the time.

Looks like the guy I sold it to flipped it for a 5 series last time I drove past. Wanker :blink:

Edited by GoNz0

So with no disrespect not in better condition than dan's? I've seen and driven his and though not perfect its a nice car at a fair price. 

10 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

So with no disrespect not in better condition than dan's? I've seen and driven his and though not perfect its a nice car at a fair price. 

6 of one and half a dozen of the other m8, a £50 headliner I had lined up would have made my interior spot on as it was well cared for, and the coupe manuals seem to get a bit better price. I see the rust blebbing through on the arches as well, always the bloody rear arches on these :) 

It put me off as I am crap at body work hence calling it a day on mine.

Not trying to say Dan's is overpriced, more I sold mine far too cheap.

On 3/3/2018 at 2:21 PM, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

Getting that way. E46's are junk and the E36 was the last 3 Series that wasn't designed by a lunatic and built from snap together plastic crap.

Well Said Sir!!  Well Said

and don't forget the paper sills and wings

i sold my e36 to keep my e46 - a great car and better than an e36 in every way.  They both rust and in the same places!