Ngy

09 520d broke down - high pressure fuel pump

So on the way to work, I drove 80 miles from glasgow to Carlisle. As I came off the motorway I stopped at a set of lights. When I set off I got an eml and a message saying engine fault reduced power. The Idrive said I could carry on at a moderste speed but see BMW asap. Within 5 minutes the car jerked and lost all drive. I coasted to a stop and then the car wouldn't start again. It seemed to crank but didn't fire. No strange noises when trying. 

Recovery came and the guy read a code which was p3002 low fuel pressure, or something similar, I didnt see exactly what it said. 

I wws recovered to BMW in Carlisle and they said they'd check it out and be in touch. A long 24 hrs later (today) they called and said it was the high pressure fuel pump which failed and the part was £1500 and total cost would be £1800. 

I was busy setting out so didnt have much time to talk but he advised me that by fixing the pump it may or may not fix all or any related issues which haven't been discovered yet as the car isn't running. 

Anyone had similar issues? Related to timing chain failure? Could it be timing chain failure? Can they check the chain without too much labour costs and intrusive works? 

Not sure what to do now!! Wife is checking if the garage gave me a 6 month warranty as I've only had it 3 months. 

Fuel pump failure isn't timing chain related luckily. If you can get it out of BMW you can buy a rebuilt pump for far less than new OEM. I've used Diesel Bob before without any issues. What they're saying is because the pump is knackered it may have thrown bits of metal into the injectors.

Thanks for that mate.

I'm not paying BMW prices. Looking to get it recovered back to Glasgow and then to my indy. 

Recon pump sounds ideal. At 170k miles I guess its about time its gets a new one. 

Could there be anything else affected apart from the injectors? 

The proper way to do it is flush the whole fuel system through. Including the filter on the in tank pump and the fuel rail and high pressure lines to the injectors. Cut open the main filter under the car and inspect for any shiny bits in the material too. Hopefully you'll find nothing but if there is any metal evident I'd also be sending the injectors away to be cleaned and overhauled. Everything else should be inspected first though, there's no point throwing a pump on it if something else in the engine has gone wrong. It would be unlikely that would be the first indicator of timing chain failure.

http://www.dieselbob.co.uk/index.aspx

Thanks again. 

I sent diesel bob a message on fb. Hopefully will be good news back. Do you know if he carries out the work too or just provides the pump? 

BMW said there was a recall for the fuel filter something or other so they already changed it. They thought that could have been the root cause of the fault but then determined not. 

3 hours ago, Ngy said:

Thanks again. 

I sent diesel bob a message on fb. Hopefully will be good news back. Do you know if he carries out the work too or just provides the pump? 

BMW said there was a recall for the fuel filter something or other so they already changed it. They thought that could have been the root cause of the fault but then determined not. 

What's the recall for the fuel filter ? I have the same car and I didn't receive anything about fuel filter recall. Very interested what the recall was particularly if it's going to screw up the high pressure pump ?

5 hours ago, memyself said:

What's the recall for the fuel filter ? I have the same car and I didn't receive anything about fuel filter recall. Very interested what the recall was particularly if it's going to screw up the high pressure pump ?

They're not related, or else BMW would be fixing for free. 

I'll find out and let you know. Can't remember the exact wording. There were 3 recalls in total!