535i Andrew

Had mine for two years now.

That's me had my F10 two years now.

I've had a few bits done in the last year but not as much as I would have liked to have done.  Its had its brake fluid changed and an MOT as the only trips to the dealer this year.  Two new front tyres on powder coated rims, non genuine centre caps that have got water damage (waste, will buy genuine next time), replaced the locking wheel bolts with the splined type.  I've done just over 5,000 miles in the last year without issue.  

Plan for this year of ownership, wire up the three pins in the 13 pin socket that BMW didn't fit when new, fit a permanent charge point for my Ctek battery charger, probably need to replace the winter tyres before next winter (assuming we get a summer this year) as I'm spinning them up a bit too easily as the tread wears.  And if I ever get a break in this horrible weather, get the panel off to expose my yellow grommet and clean out the water drainage channels.

Still enjoying it. 

1 hour ago, E93 said:

Nice, any photos of the car?

Here you are.

DSCN3731.jpg

It is much dirtier today thanks to the weather and I've got style 327s with 17" winters on at the present.

1 hour ago, E93 said:

I’ve seen “yellow grommet” mentioned a few times on the forum, is this some sort of a weakness in F10 / F11?

Oh yes, read this post in full

and I found this one helpful too.

I'm approaching the first year with mine and i've covered 8k,  my list is a little longer for bits that needed doing but they needed doing so i won't moan. 

• Most recent was a driver  headlight module needed replacing
  • Carbon cleaned as it was on offer :) 
  • Glow plug relay and all 6 glow plugs
  • fuse went taking out both usb sockets
  • 2x new rear tyres
  • 2x headlight bulbs failed
  • wipers were worn when purchased so swapped for new
  • Full service/brake fluid change for piece of mind when first purchased 

Plans for this year...

• Quad exhaust with rear diffuser
  • Eibach sportline springs
  • Eibach wheel spacers
  • Speaker upgrade - bavsound stage 2
  • Smoked silver alloy wheel finish - had all 4 them refurbed once and the missed wrecked them in 1 week......NEVER AGAIN!
  • Potential full metallic blue wrap as i love the car when clean but shows way too much dirt/imperfections. 

Looks nice Andrew. The lighter colours really show off the f10 lines. I do like the f10 shape, it is very similar to e39 from some angles. Just need to the perspective to be adjusted a little.

Had mine about 4 months longer than you, done 20k miles since I got it in September 2015. Surprising as I thought I did less miles than that!

4 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

That's me had my F10 two years now.

I've had a few bits done in the last year but not as much as I would have liked to have done.  Its had its brake fluid changed and an MOT as the only trips to the dealer this year.  Two new front tyres on powder coated rims, non genuine centre caps that have got water damage (waste, will buy genuine next time), replaced the locking wheel bolts with the splined type.  I've done just over 5,000 miles in the last year without issue.  

Plan for this year of ownership, wire up the three pins in the 13 pin socket that BMW didn't fit when new, fit a permanent charge point for my Ctek battery charger, probably need to replace the winter tyres before next winter (assuming we get a summer this year) as I'm spinning them up a bit too easily as the tread wears.  And if I ever get a break in this horrible weather, get the panel off to expose my yellow grommet and clean out the water drainage channels.

Still enjoying it. 

Before you get confused, you only have to wire up 2 pins not 3, as pin 12 is not in use currently.

1 minute ago, chrisn7 said:

Before you get confused, you only have to wire up 2 pins not 3, as pin 12 is not in use currently.

Well spotted, I'm going to use pin 12 as the connection point for my Ctek charger.  I have a circuit diagram drawn out to incorporate the Ctek comfort panel indicator wired to my battery via Pin 12 of the socket. That way I know a feed from the charger is going direct to the battery and not thru a control module or another box of wizardry which i want to avoid.

I don't have a CTEK on the F07, but I do have one on the E38 - the power lead is connected to the jump/battery charger point in the engine bay and the ground to anywhere convenient. This works the way you want and also means that the CTEK 2 pin connector is nice and dry under the bonnet.

However the batteries (2 of them!) are not AGM. I'm not really up on this, but you might need a CTEK with an AGM setting?

Ctek charger can deal with old skool batteries and AGM.  It is essentially the same charger that BMW will sell you except without the BMW roundels on it.

I don't want to use the battery/charging posts under the bonnet.  Open boot, press towbar button, it swivels out and I then plug in a 13 pin plug to the towbar socket which I will have wired to the Ctek charger and bingo waterproof connection to the battery to charge it without having to route wires out from under the bonnet.

I know what you mean @sshooie, but mine can only do 12 miles a day for a couple of weeks so in cold weather , (June, July, August) etc the plan is to top the battery up over a weekend, not convinced that my battery gets a proper charge otherwise. We tend to use the wife's car more at the weekend, so mine can sit idle but have a top up of coulombs.

7 hours ago, sshooie said:

I've never charged a car other than to start it. I understand if you don't use it but the longest I leave it is my 2 weeks hols. 

The alternator isnt a very good battery charger (unlike the old dynamos that used to be fitted years ago) and is more for running electrical consumer services on the car then charging the battery.

I charge mine at least once a year and generally it takes 6-8 hours to top the battery back up to full. Im sure this is why some people are having batteries replaced at about four years old as they have never charged them and kept them in optimum condition.