Mark1

530d SE or MSport

Hi All

I am new to the forum and I am having an age old dilemna.

I am about to order a 530d X Drive Touring and can't decide between the SE or MSport. I prefer the MSport styling but I am concerned about the ride on 19inch wheels. I think the 18s on the SE don't look too bad and the the interior seems much the same for both. There seems to be a better range of paint colours with the SE though and I can get the plain silver interior trim (which I prefer) on the SE but not the MSport. 

The spec is roughly like this;

Variable damper control

Visibility pack

Comfort pack and comfort seats

Massage seats

Heated steering wheel

Sunroof

Driving Assistant Plus (seems you can't get radar based cruise control without this whole pack which is maddening!)

Dynamic safety

Harmon Kardan speakers

Active steering (4 wheel steering) - has anyone got this (any good)?

Have I missed anything crucial or very nice to have from the spec? The options are so complex that this process is proving very stressful.

Colour and interior is also causing stress! At the moment it will be Med blue with ivory leather but I quite like Cognac leather but my partner hates it! 

Help!!!!!

18 minutes ago, Stressed said:

I was looking on the BMW web sight the other day and you can specify 18" on an mSport

Not on a 530d however, brakes too big.

I will always say M Sport, will be better at retaining value. 

Also, adaptive dampers will make it very comfy on 19s and even 20s.

look into M Sport plus package, includes HK sounds, tinted windows and the bigger wheels if you got for adaptive dampers 

I've got a 540 touring on 19" wheels and the variable dampers and the ride is absolutely fine, I would have gone for 18" wheels, but wasn't an option on mine.

Ivory leather is fine to keep clean, I went for nappa on comfort seats rather than the standard stuff as the feel/noise is totally different.

You can get the radar cruise control by itself, it's called ACC (adaptive cruise) - I've got it and it's fantastic.

The only thing you're missing is a petrol engine!!!

I've got a 530D Touring on 20" wheels (with EDC) and agree with the above - the ride is good, even in Sports mode. In Comfort mode on the motorway, it's a nice place to be.

Glad you spec'd the sunroof. I feel that it makes a big difference to the inside of the car.

As I've said elsewhere on this forum, I'm a massive fan of the HUD (which wasn't in your list?). Yes, it's an expensive option on its own, but you use it every time you drive the car. Personally I'd pick it over the active steering.

Thanks everyone

i'll definitely explore the HUD. It's not something I have ever come really seen. I'll worry a lot less about the ride comfort now. I did have a test drive in a car with 20" wheels and no variable dampers and it was not harsh at all.

i am still a petrol engine fan but having had an economical 3 litre diesel these last few years the consumption might be a shock!

1 hour ago, Mark1 said:

Thanks everyone

i'll definitely explore the HUD. It's not something I have ever come really seen. I'll worry a lot less about the ride comfort now. I did have a test drive in a car with 20" wheels and no variable dampers and it was not harsh at all.

i am still a petrol engine fan but having had an economical 3 litre diesel these last few years the consumption might be a shock!

I went from a diesel to a petrol, I visit the petrol station far more often - but it's a nicer drive to get there.

15 hours ago, Mark1 said:

Active steering (4 wheel steering) - has anyone got this (any good)?

I have this  - Car handles great and feels a lot smaller on the road than it really is.  The  only other car I test drove was a 520D Msport - that felt nothing like mine  - but then it also did not have EDC  which also helps the ride.

Thanks Xtrail. Which model and wheels do you have? I am definitely getting the EDC.

I had an E60 5 series a few years ago with Active steering which was handy for parking but I did not like it at normal speeds. This was a faster steering ratio but no rear wheel steer of course. 

You sound like me, when I was trying to figure out the option list - it's very confusing (to BMW sales people as well as me!).

A few things that are on my spec:

Sun protection glass. Some people think it looks a bit "gangsta" but I like it and it blocks visibility into the back from the outside.

HUD. Great option, but you need Driving Assistant if you want the road sign recognition. I also really like the nav integration with the HUD.

Park Assistant Plus - if I had to delete one option pack from my car, it would probably be that. My G31 is in at the dealer currently for them to look at why it keeps seeing phantom obstacles and emergency braking on me. IMO the rest of that pack is a bit underwhelming, YMMV.

I got Driving Assistant as I really wanted the road sign recognition and to be fair, that works well about 90-95% of the time. It does quite frequently get it wrong though. The rest of the pack isn't great and I have most of it turned off - which is slightly annoying as I now have the "warning" light on all the time on the console. For example the lane departure warning might work well in Germany, but in England it's forever going off when you are nowhere near the central line. Again, I'd probably delete this pack if I was ordering again.

As everyone else says, The Visibility pack is fantastic. It's probably my favourite option pack chosen.

I don't know whether "Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle" comes as part of any of the packs you've chosen, but I'd recommend selecting that option if not.

I really like the "Comfort Pack", although I know some people are dead set against it due to security concerns. I especially like the "wave your foot under the tailgate" feature (that probably sounds better in German). It's surprising how many times that comes in handy.

I opted for the extra 12v sockets. If I understand it right, this gives you an extra one in the back (so you end up with 2) and one in the boot. I wanted as much gadget power as possible for the boys in the back and the option of running a cooler box in the boot is useful, so it was worth it for me.

I think that's all!

Edited to add... sorry, if not clear, the waving your foot opens and closes the tailgate! Handy if your hands are full.

Edited by lol64

I picked up my 530d SE xdrive Touring last week:

Imperial Blue, Black leather

EDC

Steering wheel heating

Integral Active Steering

Reversing Assist camera   

Panoramic glass sunroof  

Extended luggage 

Sun protection glass

Sport seats, front 

Lumbar support, driver and front pass.

Exterior Mirrors - folding with anti-dazzle 

Adaptive Headlights

12V power sockets

LED foglights

Active Cruise Control

harman/kardon surround

Remote Services

Apple CarPlay

So I’ve got the IAS that you’re thinking about, but I haven’t had chance to get an opinion on it yet I’m afraid, how long before you put your order in? I’ve only really driven it back from the dealers in London, about 120 miles, but straight away I was sold on the sunroof and the Active cruise control, the later works brilliantly, and you don’t have to have it in the pack. Things I wish I had ticked are the Icon headlights, just based on what other folks have said since I ordered mine, and the comfort seats (though the sports seats are fine), so you’ve made the right choice on the packs.

Aesthetically it looks good, but would look even better with bigger alloys, the 619 alloys I’ve got are going to be a pain to clean, but I don’t really like the other 18” choice for the SE (the 684). I think the 20” would look fantastic, and I wouldn’t worry about the ride too much based on the reviews, but it’s a big chunk of extra cash. The 19” 663 bicolour would also look good and improve the looks, so could be a happy compromise. I’m happy to stick to the 18” though, especially when it comes to buying new tyres:)

It took 12 weeks from order to pick up btw:)

the 530d x drive is a superb power train - incredibly smooth, quiet and powerful once you take off. The other options are icing on the cake . I have the visibility pack and the panoramic roof. Those are well worth it . Plus walnut veneer (suits the SE) and a reversing camera.

I also have the comfort pack and the wave foot under the tailgate thing doesn't work for me very well. The other electronic driver aids seemed to be unreliable or not especially useful

HUD sounds a good idea though

But if I had to choose one option out of all of them I think I would go for the panoramic roof. It transforms the look of the car both from the outside and inside :wink: 

On 12/02/2018 at 7:10 PM, sjak92 said:

Not on a 530d however, brakes too big.

I will always say M Sport, will be better at retaining value. 

Also, adaptive dampers will make it very comfy on 19s and even 20s.

look into M Sport plus package, includes HK sounds, tinted windows and the bigger wheels if you got for adaptive dampers 

OH, I was looking at the 520!!

I think I will delete the Driving Assistant Plus and add Active Cruise Control based on lol64's advice. Folding mirrors are in the Comfort Pack but they really should be standard on a car like this. My humble Golf has quite a lot of items as standard that BMW wants extra money for!

i need to put my order in very soon if I want to get delivery before we take a road trip to Turkey late April. It will be touch and go to get the car in time.