Motor84

Back into a 5 series! 523i just purchased

Been away for a bit with a 3 series and an X3. Bough this as a 2nd family car for running about. Very pleased with it! Low miles. Good colour combo. Also, love the wheels. Same as the E34 I think. They are original so I guess not many people specced them as they were for from the previous model?

Ordered some black floor mats. Its been smoked in so ordered an odour bomb and new filters. 

Steering feels heavy, but maybe thats because our other car is an F25 X3. Don't remember my E34 535i being as heavy. Anyway, lovely to drive. The perfect London smoker!

Quick question. Anyone retrofitted folding rear seats? The seller said it had them, which I really wanted. But it didn't! Bough it anyway as its a good car. 

IMG_0774

IMG_0772

IMG_0782

IMG_0779

IMG_0775IMG_0778

You would have to modify the body panel behind the rear seats to fit folding seats. I don't think it is an easy job.

53 minutes ago, stevecvo said:

You would have to modify the body panel behind the rear seats to fit folding seats. I don't think it is an easy job.

I thought it might be a bit of a job! Also finding a new rear seat only in beige. I'll leave it! Can't quite believe it was an option. Who would not want the ability to fold the seats down! Anyway, my first E39 and loving it so far.

39 minutes ago, d_a_n1979 said:

Looks a lovely example!

What’s that funny pudding stick in the middle in the front?! :P 

Ha ha. Yes, odd for a 6 cyl 5 Series! Its very tall and the shifts are long. Its a leisurely drive! 

20 minutes ago, paperjams said:

wow looks super tidy, would love one just like this!

It is tidy. Could be something horrible waiting for a me a few miles down the road, but for now its great! Love the simplicity of it.

You should be good. Engine is solid and no flaky auto to break either.

Brings back memories of mine. Same colour. Yours is a rare one being an unmolested pre facelift E39. Sadly too many have been chaved. 

18 hours ago, 535i Andrew said:

You should be good. Engine is solid and no flaky auto to break either.

Brings back memories of mine. Same colour. Yours is a rare one being an unmolested pre facelift E39. Sadly too many have been chaved. 

It looks great in that blue. Only small issue I have found is the gears grind from 3rd to 2nd when its cold. I guess I should get the gearbox oil changed.

Also, the only thing I would do to the car is 'possibly' put clear indicator lenses on as I think they do look smarter. Are the SE and MSport lights the same on the pre facelift cars?

So long since I've seen an E39 that isn't either scrap or turning into scrap.

The wheels are E39 specific 16 inch 'BBS'. Looks very nice and well worth maintaining. Another 5 years and E39's will be near enough extinct. They're thinning out in breakers now.

21 hours ago, Sir Anthony Regents-Park said:

So long since I've seen an E39 that isn't either scrap or turning into scrap.

The wheels are E39 specific 16 inch 'BBS'. Looks very nice and well worth maintaining. Another 5 years and E39's will be near enough extinct. They're thinning out in breakers now.

It's been a while (year? eighteen months?) since I've been to a breakers but you seldom saw an E39 in one, and you never see an E60/61 - at least, locally.

This is the one that got away for me. Top spec, low miles. Seen those wheels on a few 528s. I assume they were available oem at the time? Split rims! cool!

If anyone has a touring like this, I would love to buy it!

bmw-e39-5-series-96-04-528i-se-touring-S2892933-1

10 hours ago, DerekJr. said:

Nice clean example. Are those genuine parking sensors? I only ask as I see them in the front as well. Prefacelift had rears only if specced with PDC i think

Well spotted. The previous owner fitted an after market system. I would usually run a mile from a car with aftermarket tech fitted, but this car was cheap and actually they work! It also has a modern Sat Nav fitted and I'm actually quite impressed! I have blue tooth music and the nav is good. The rest of the car is completely original thank god!

Never mind X3s and E39s - what's the craic with that little Alfa Giulia GT Sprint back there??? :wub:

Edited by Calypso-E34

8 minutes ago, Calypso-E34 said:

Never mind X3s and E39s - what's the craic with that little Alfa Giulia Sprint back there??? :wub:

Ha ha. Good point! That is the most exciting car in the picture! I share an office with, and do work for a Classic Car dealer. That was a client popping by in his 'daily'. We get all sorts coming in, but my heart lies with old Beemers!

17 minutes ago, Motor84 said:

my heart lies with old Beemers!

That E39 of yours is very nice.  You don't see many nice amber indicator cars these days, and that one is a nice colour too.

I still look wistfully at pictures of pre facelift E39s in Glacier green, on style 33 wheels, with dark green cloth interior.  I know I shouldn't like them, but I do........

Edited by Calypso-E34

1 hour ago, Calypso-E34 said:

That E39 of yours is very nice.  You don't see many nice amber indicator cars these days, and that one is a nice colour too.

I still look wistfully at pictures of pre facelift E39s in Glacier green, on style 33 wheels, with dark green cloth interior.  I know I shouldn't like them, but I do........

I know what you mean. Something very pleasing about a solid, standard 528i in green. Very late 90s!

Took the car for a proper blast last night. 3rd is a strong gear on this car. Looking at the figures its almost the same 0-60 for the manual 523 as the auto 528. But I guess the 528 just has more torque and pull through the gears?