memyself

Gear Shift Indicator Gone !

My car is a 2008 lci 2.0d with manual gearbox. The red display, in between the instruments, used to display the 'gear shift indication'  Two little arrows with a gear number next to them to remind you shift up or down gears. I quite liked it, because I've been dumb enough to drive 100 motorway miles in 5th gear not 6th !!! so it acted as a nice reminder.

Anyway, its gone from the display and I can't find out how to get it back. Does anyone know how to do this please ?

The only thing that's changed is that my usual car key is kaput ! so I started using the spare one (once charged) and it coincided with the key change. I also lost all of my radio station presets - so I'm thinking, is this gear change indicator coded to the key ? Also, the gear shift indicator wasn't showing for about the first 2-3 years of ownership, then suddenly appeared one day ! I guess I must have pressed something to activate it, if only I could remember what that was.

Separately, I'm in the process of dismantling the duff key, soldering a new battery to the circuit board and buying a blank key shell off Ebay to house the repaired circuit board / battery. 

Yea there coded to the key as personal settings, think the option is under some setting in idrive or efficient dynamics, I had the same problem on an e61 I had but like you can’t remember where I found it, or if I coded it in with Carly through the obd, sorry not much help I know 

14 hours ago, memyself said:

...The red display, in between the instruments, used to display the 'gear shift indication'  Two little arrows with a gear number next to them to remind you shift up or down gears....

Here ya go ;):

Thanks for that... I ended up going into my local BMW dealership and they told me how to do it. I think it's what you said...

-Press 'BC' button until the lower display is blank (no MPG / Range displayed etc)

-Turn indicator on

-Press and hold 'BC' button for 3 seconds while indicator is on and gear change display shows up in display

-Cancel indicator, press 'BC' button again to cycle through MPG. Range, etc to set desired display.