robsey29

How many owners if any have had timing chain failures on the n57 engine.

I have posted in the 7 series section but not much action going on in there.

looking to buy a f01 740d which has the n57 engine fitted has any owners had any timing chain problems with this engine.

i have checked google which brings up a few also spoke to my Indi who also has done a few, just wondered if numbers are low and not worth worrying about.

41 minutes ago, jake13 said:

Like it's baby brother, N47 the chain is also at the back of the engine.

Yeah and engine our job which is a pig!! hence finding out if the six pot also suffers or just a few cases hear and there. 

1 minute ago, robsey29 said:

Yeah and engine our job which is a pig!! hence finding out if the six pot also suffers or just a few cases hear and there. 

Only seen a few on youtube, stretched chain.

Tend to be into 6 figures before issues. The camshafts are very different and sprockets are not machined on to the camshaft like the N47.

Regular oil changes and other elements will help mind like ever 18k+ is excessive considering how vital it is to the running of the components. 

16 minutes ago, Ninja59 said:

Tend to be into 6 figures before issues. The camshafts are very different and sprockets are not machined on to the camshaft like the N47.

Regular oil changes and other elements will help mind like ever 18k+ is excessive considering how vital it is to the running of the components. 

The one I have my eye on has around the 120k mark so I’m sure it’s not had regular oil changes and been done as per schedule, so the damage if any has been done.

am I right in saying the tensioners are the problem on the six pot? If so worth just changing that for peace of mind, as I have read these can be changed with the engine in situ. 

Run a couple of these. One of my previous ones is up for sale with 150k on the clock. My current one, same engine as the 740d (535d in F10 speak) is all good at 60k. 

Heard of very few failures even accounting for how many fewer of these there are about compared to the N47. As Ninja59 says, they aren't quite made the same.

21 minutes ago, Johnny Grabble said:

Run a couple of these. One of my previous ones is up for sale with 150k on the clock. My current one, same engine as the 740d (535d in F10 speak) is all good at 60k. 

Heard of very few failures even accounting for how many fewer of these there are about compared to the N47. As Ninja59 says, they aren't quite made the same.

Good to hear how did you find the 740d compared to the f10?

19 hours ago, robsey29 said:

The one I have my eye on has around the 120k mark so I’m sure it’s not had regular oil changes and been done as per schedule, so the damage if any has been done.

am I right in saying the tensioners are the problem on the six pot? If so worth just changing that for peace of mind, as I have read these can be changed with the engine in situ. 

The reality is that any chain will eventually stretch it is just to what degree and obviously whether it is "premature". Now whether you class that as better than a 'belt is open to debate. I think the source for much contention is the positioning of the chain in the latest engines (but I will say that more engines are putting chains in "interesting" locations that make access more difficult). 

Equally a problem is BMW reduced the duplex chain of the M series engines to a single chain on the N (the B also has a single chain). Main reasoning is weight to reduce emissions and the physical effort required because of that.

In a bit of irony the newer B47 and N47N engines actually use exactly the same physical  top and bottom chain. The same is true of the cousins in the N57 and B57. In fact many of the components are the same the oil nozzle, bolts, chains and a number of tensioners (although I will admit one or two of the chain tensioners are different PN's).

At that mileage I personally would be looking to get it at minimum reviewed to see how much slack it has and get the tensioners reviewed.

Having spoken with a tech about it he said the chain issue whilst "major" many of the vehicles that had most of the issues were generally of a "higher mileage". Although even he admitted the first he did on his x20D was to change all the chains and tensioners. Discussing the exact reason for the issues the biggest issue is the idiot who decided machining a sprocket on a camshaft was a good idea. Strangely enough the N57 does not have this design (and nor do the new B series engines). In fairness also he said that at best you may have got between the single and duplex chain is probably 30k - 50k ish if you consider most of the issues around single chains have been around 120k+, the duplex cars he has done had circa 150k.

3 hours ago, Ninja59 said:

The reality is that any chain will eventually stretch it is just to what degree and obviously whether it is "premature". Now whether you class that as better than a 'belt is open to debate. I think the source for much contention is the positioning of the chain in the latest engines (but I will say that more engines are putting chains in "interesting" locations that make access more difficult). 

Equally a problem is BMW reduced the duplex chain of the M series engines to a single chain on the N (the B also has a single chain). Main reasoning is weight to reduce emissions and the physical effort required because of that.

In a bit of irony the newer B47 and N47N engines actually use exactly the same physical  top and bottom chain. The same is true of the cousins in the N57 and B57. In fact many of the components are the same the oil nozzle, bolts, chains and a number of tensioners (although I will admit one or two of the chain tensioners are different PN's).

At that mileage I personally would be looking to get it at minimum reviewed to see how much slack it has and get the tensioners reviewed.

Having spoken with a tech about it he said the chain issue whilst "major" many of the vehicles that had most of the issues were generally of a "higher mileage". Although even he admitted the first he did on his x20D was to change all the chains and tensioners. Discussing the exact reason for the issues the biggest issue is the idiot who decided machining a sprocket on a camshaft was a good idea. Strangely enough the N57 does not have this design (and nor do the new B series engines). In fairness also he said that at best you may have got between the single and duplex chain is probably 30k - 50k ish if you consider most of the issues around single chains have been around 120k+, the duplex cars he has done had circa 150k.

Thanks for the informative info that’s a great help: 

i think the best port of call as you say is get the slack on the chain checked and the tensioners if I do buy one, that’s if this can be done without removal of the engine, if the engine has to be removed to check then it would be a no brainier but to replace it all anyway. 

I have only found a handful of posts on this engine a few on ph of any chain failures, perhaps this is because a lot of them have not done many miles yet or just because these are less prone for failure. Either way at some point in there life they will need changing it’s just a matter of when. 

6 hours ago, robsey29 said:

Thanks for the informative info that’s a great help: 

i think the best port of call as you say is get the slack on the chain checked and the tensioners if I do buy one, that’s if this can be done without removal of the engine, if the engine has to be removed to check then it would be a no brainier but to replace it all anyway. 

I have only found a handful of posts on this engine a few on ph of any chain failures, perhaps this is because a lot of them have not done many miles yet or just because these are less prone for failure. Either way at some point in there life they will need changing it’s just a matter of when. 

In honesty the n57 has two issues that i have seen:

Timing chain issues - chain and or tensioners 

Main crank failure - cylinder 3/4 seemed usually the problem children

The last i have seen 3 cars fail with around 100k on the clock. All serviced though at normal cbs intervals whether that plays apart lord knows.

Timing chain can in theory be checked easily in situ. The tensioners similar. You need to make sure the whole top and bottom chains get checked. Obviously the top is a bit easier! 

4 hours ago, bmwmike said:

Does this affect n5x petrol engines,anyone know?

Technically any car with a chain really. If you look around people make out this is strange fact is many manufacturers have and still do have chain issues. It just is less common on certain vehicles down to usage patterns.