Brian63

M5 deposit paid

Took the plunge today put down deposit on 2013 M5.My biggest concern at moment is security,can I ask if other owners use extra security measures I.e. steering locks,or is it just me being a bit paranoid!

Suppose it depends where you live? 

If the thieving scum want your car they will take your car! 

I dont have a M5 and the way things are going won't have one for a while, however when we had the Porsche I was paranoid to high heaven that it would get half inched.

it never did, it got broken into a few times but only because my idiot wife didn't lock it! 

Didnt bother with any extra security. 

Nice purchase BTW ;) 

which flavour is it?

I'd be more concerned with the theft of interior components as shown in another thread but no steering lock would solve that. 

Id be tempted with these faraday wallets if you have comfort access and the obd relocation though at the very least 

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

I'd be more concerned with the theft of interior components as shown in another thread but no steering lock would solve that. 

Id be tempted with these faraday wallets if you have comfort access and the obd relocation though at the very least 

4 hours ago, duncan-uk said:

Faraday wallets obd relocation?

Assuming it's an F11 there is a way to start the car through the OBD (on board diagnostics) port and also use signal boosters to intercept the signal from the key and start the car. 

Seemingly quite common and a weakness in the cars security. 

Ive been reading of faraday wallets which stop signal leakage so handy to put the key in once home and also relocating or "locking" the OBD so as to prevent the easy theft.

if 'they' want the car it will be taken but these seem simple things to stack the cards a bit in your favour. 

Personally i would uses disclock as I have one though my friends have taken the piss for my doing so in the past :rolleyes:

used it it on my m3 last around France not because I distrust the French more that to lose the car would have been a massive PITA and it's not a hardship. 

5 minutes ago, duncan-uk said:

Assuming it's an F11 there is a way to start the car through the OBD (on board diagnostics) port and also use signal boosters to intercept the signal from the key and start the car. 

Seemingly quite common and a weakness in the cars security. 

Ive been reading of faraday wallets which stop signal leakage so handy to put the key in once home and also relocating or "locking" the OBD so as to prevent the easy theft.

if 'they' want the car it will be taken but these seem simple things to stack the cards a bit in your favour. 

Personally i would uses disclock as I have one though my friends have taken the piss for my doing so in the past :rolleyes:

Thanks for the info and advice may well invest in one at £10 from Halfords not much for a bit extra security.as well as a baseball bat in boot to discourage any wanna be car jackers.

5 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

I dont have a M5 and the way things are going won't have one for a while, however when we had the Porsche I was paranoid to high heaven that it would get half inched.

it never did, it got broken into a few times but only because my idiot wife didn't lock it! 

Nice purchase BTW ;) 

which flavour is it?

Sliver stone blue with black interior 

Indeed though a pukka disclok is a bit more:P

its an insured asset at the end of the day and whilst one wouldn't want to lose it some simple things make it less likely to go awol. 

5 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

Nice purchase BTW ;) 

which flavour is it?

Where you live is not always the case and whether it's needed for a robery etc these coontz will watch and prey on any area and swoop when needed.....

I doubt very much an M5 is needed for a robbery! ;) 

I was saying depends on where you live as the OP was asking about disclock and other deterrents, so it's slightly more relevant as to where you live as to what visual deterrent you used/need. 

I suppose you could go for a big feck off dog that barks fire to sit on the back seat through the night? 

Or this-

IMG_6489.jpg

Yes sir, you deffo need that extra pad lock that I've posted a pic of! :lol: 

nice, when do you pick it up? Or is that you picking it up now? 

52 minutes ago, Brian63 said:

A1B2E3E0-8DBB-4290-9662-33EB52681FAC.jpeg

Dealer is doing a couple of surface scratches before I take delivery so maybe a week or so.as in polishing them out!

Edited by Brian63

The best thing you can do is put a tracker in it, put your key in one of the metal boxes that means it can't be cloned from inside your house, and take it to a proper auto electrician to have a switch put into the fuel system. I know a few people have done this. Even if they get into the car and can get the ignition on, they won't be driving off in it if there's no power to the in tank pump or the fuel pump ECU. Once you make a modification like that where it's massively different from OEM wiring, you'll be making a massive headache for anyone trying to drive off in it. If you put a hidden switch in they won't have a clue where to look.

What a car though, really suits the colour too!

Edited by Mashed Potatoes

On 2/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, Mashed Potatoes said:

The best thing you can do is put a tracker in it, put your key in one of the metal boxes that means it can't be cloned from inside your house, and take it to a proper auto electrician to have a switch put into the fuel system. I know a few people have done this. Even if they get into the car and can get the ignition on, they won't be driving off in it if there's no power to the in tank pump or the fuel pump ECU. Once you make a modification like that where it's massively different from OEM wiring, you'll be making a massive headache for anyone trying to drive off in it. If you put a hidden switch in they won't have a clue where to look.

What a car though, really suits the colour too!

thanks for advice.been offered GAP insurance from dealers.£732 for 3 yrs,which i didnt think was bad,so considering it.may have a look at costing for a tracker fitted as well.as i said in original post may just being a bit paranoid car will be garaged at night and in secure car park at work,my only concern will be going overnight stays away from home.think im going to go with visual deterent i.e steering wheel lock for peace of mind.

The problem is with society at large, not the manufacturer and definately not with the owner. Nowadays, you can't even discipline your own kids without getting into trouble. London, the most heavily surveillance city in the World, and yet we have muggers running amok on mopeds. Social engineered chaos to bring forward the Police State.