paulie031

parking sensors E39 M5

Hi folks recently had my rear parking sensors changed as I'd encountered the usual continuous noise when reversing. Since then it still does this intermittently even when I'm no where near and objects. 

Is there a way to reset them?  With the ignition on and in reverse engine off they act as they should when walking up to them.

Thanks

Did you buy them new?

The sensors are very susceptible to moisture ingress it's possible that this is the issue,  many an owner has done this accidentally when using a pressure washer, usual thing to do is get them dry and working and go over them with a dab of wax to try and prevent the ingress.

Also a general build up of dirt can also trigger false alerts..

I'm not aware of any reset procedure to try and overcome the issue.. 

+1 with the moisture ingress suggestion above. Also, do you have access to INPA? You can see live readings to determine which sensor(s) are playing up, plus any fault codes stored which can help spot intermittent wiring problems.

1 hour ago, duncan-uk said:

What's the best way to dry them out?

To be honest a dryish warm day does the trick... but there's not too many of them in this country... 

A hair dryer is another option if the missus is not around....

last week when i put mine into reverse i got the continius tone then all goes quiet .. the PDC light on console flashing away .

I could hear that all bar two were clicking so changed the two out that were not clicking and all back to normal.

For the record i tried contact cleaner and WD40 but no response .. cheap to replace anyway

Thanks for the replies,  yes bought them new Seesure. Like you say not many dry days especially here in sunny South Wales ! Will try and dry thrm out and go from there ☺

15 hours ago, paulie031 said:

Thanks for the replies,  yes bought them new Seesure. Like you say not many dry days especially here in sunny South Wales ! Will try and dry thrm out and go from there ☺

My rear sensors have been going mental for months now... some days they are fine other times (e.g Sunday in Penarth!) all I got was the bloody continuous tone... 

Dunc - I've heard about people using WD40 as well but I really think it's almost pot luck .... My LMB car never had this problem with the sensors - although I did have to repair some wiring in the front bumper which looked as though the sheathing had become fragile due heat from the engine.  

I had one sensor fail in the rear bumper and replaced that with one from Cotswold and had no other issues.

With my current car the rear centre sensors are the ones that I think are a bit dodgy - which is bloody typical as they are the awkward ones to get out as well as being colour coded !! 

Ive given up trying to fix mine

Doing so I discovered the drivers side rear light has been allowing water in.

After changing Sensors they worked once, now I get nothing as i select reverse

the sensors all click, new pdc module coming in post, hope it works

Wish you luck with them

20180211_144913.jpg