pidgeonpost

Power steering fluid leak.

I've been losing a drop of fluid over the last few months, but recently the car's been parked as I was ill and in hospital. Came to start it today and steering is very juddery and fluid level way down despite recent top-up. There's no sign of leakage in the area around the reservoir, but I can see dampness on the underpants. There's also dampness around a banjo fitting way down low in NSF. 

The car is booked to investigate this plus MOT on 23rd. Anyone like to hazard a guess on the problem please? :)

Edited: 'underpan' of course...:lol:

Edited by pidgeonpost

4 hours ago, pidgeonpost said:

dampness on the underpants.

Oh dear, that's not good news.

Hope you are feeling better.

Time to get the car checked, as you know it could be anything on the hydraulic circuit. Needs a proper poke about underneath.

Yeh, on the mend thanks Andrew. Car was booked for MOT and p/steering check last Friday, but it all went tits up - infected gallbladder meant emergency hospital job and surgery, hence had to cancel MOT etc.

There must be a lake of fluid on the underpan as there's not a spot under the car. Got some more fluid on order which will get me to the garage but don't think I'll be driving it meanwhile. 

Mine went on the power steering cooler as it sits right in front of the radiator and gets any stones that get thrown up. You have to take off the cover plate that the bonnet latches on to to get at it. I got a local independent to do it as you have to have a tool to release the hydraulic connectors. Beware if you have a look as the bonnet release cables can drop out when you turn the cover plate over. Luckily the garage did it , not me, so they sorted it, but it took them longer than changing the cooler.

Thanks for that Steve, and for the tip about the bonnet release cables. These have been on my list of things to do since before the winter as they are a known problem that's can be fixed with a couple of cable ties apparently.

Was the replacement cooler an expensive item and did you go for genuine or pattern part?

On 2/11/2018 at 9:05 PM, pidgeonpost said:

Yeh, on the mend thanks Andrew. Car was booked for MOT and p/steering check last Friday, but it all went tits up - infected gallbladder meant emergency hospital job and surgery, hence had to cancel MOT etc.

There must be a lake of fluid on the underpan as there's not a spot under the car. Got some more fluid on order which will get me to the garage but don't think I'll be driving it meanwhile. 

I thought you'd been quite for a while. Welcome back. 

2 hours ago, Mr_530i said:

I thought you'd been quite for a while. Welcome back. 

Thanks. :) My absence has been mostly down to the absence of Tapatalk, but I'm resigned to the fact that it ain't coming back, so onward and upward and all that!

30 minutes ago, Steve S said:

I used a genuine BMW part,which was £60. I was surprised it wasn't more. It was about 3 years ago though. Standard time for the garage to change it was about 45 mins.

Thanks - that's not a bad price at all, so I hope it's something like that. Had 2 litres of Pentosin arrived today so it'll be a top-up and then straight to the indie next week. :)