Sign in to follow this  
robsey29

Looking to buy a f01 740d

As above quite fancy one on these they seem a lot of Car for the money.

budget will be a 2011-2012 model 

any advise tips on what to look out for on one of these? 

Being the N57 engine are they prone for the timing chains breaking?

Edited by robsey29

I have a 2011 model and I think the facelift model came out in 2012...FSH, 1 owner etc applied in my case. Timing chains, again I don't think are much of an issue on these engines but I'm sure there will be someone who has more information than me.

Cracking car to drive and if you remap like I have you'll be running around 350bhp which is even better :-)

P.S - make sure all of the gizmo's e.g. cameras, HUD work as normal....Good luck!

Edited by 5SPORT

I started a thread in the f10 section as it’s shares the same engine and it appears the n57 does suffer from timing chain failures but there have not been many cases as of yet. 

What mileage do you have on yours? 

Also who did you get to remap yours? 

I have read a few of your threads on here regarding the oil level and dpf regens, also the drains being blocked any other issues you have come across?

Interesting thread that Robsey29. That sprocket design I never knew about. My car has been serviced according to the CBS intervals up to 58k which is when I bought it although that has changed to every 10k now its in my hands. God knows if that will make a difference in the long term. I do plan on keeping the car forever (he says)...

You can only live and hope but at the same time no point worrying about it you have to enjoy the car not worry about it all the time, if it’s going to happen it will!! 

Changing the oil regularly does seem to help so that’s the best we can do.