dj1233

E61 Front Wheel Bearing

Hi All,

I need some input, if you can, about the wheel bearings and tell tale signs of when they are going.

Now on a normal car, you start to get the resonance and can start to feel play in the bearing. Then you change it. Looking at the E6X it's as straight forward as that after doing some research on here.

I suspect my front left is going due to the noise i can hear, but I am not 100% certain. On certain road surfaces (generally asphalt/newly laid roads) between speeds of 40 & motorway speeds you start to get a slight 'mechanical noise' . Not a resonance, but as if there is a rough surface/not a smooth rotation - the rougher noise is every other second. It is not loud, but just about audible level. 

Upon jacking the wheel up there is no play in the hub at all, no odd noises or bad movement. However the wheel does not spin as freely as the other side (i'm removing the brakes this weekend to see if this is causing it). It spins a couple of rotations, but not much more. 

When turning left or right the noise does there is no discernible difference, so this does not narrow it down either. I've gathered that it goes quiet on the bad bearing and noisy on a good one. 

Is there anything else i can or should try? 

TIA

I hit a pothole, mashed the nearside front alloy and shortly after that I noticed a drone in the car that was speed dependent, very subtle.  BMW picked up a knackered nearside front wheel bearing was worn.  If the nearside bearing is worn, go round a fast left hand bend, the noise should get less as the load on the bearing gets less and as you straighten up and gets noisier going round a right hand bend. 

There was no play in the bearing when I examined it but once brake disc was removed it was really grumbly when turning the hub.

Here is how I replaced mine at the same time as doing both arms.

Replaced it this morning, about 3 hours start to finish. Was as simple as i hoped it would be, and was fortunate that everything came off nicely. I wasn't able to separate the front tension arm ball joint from the hub, so i left the hub in situ and replaced the bearing. Easy access to all the bolts to undo and replace the bearing and bolts.

The bearing hadn't gone, in terms of play and a nasty noise however there was definitely something not right internally. The difference is night and day in the fluid movement of the new bearing. Old bearing lucky to get a couple of rotations of the tyre, new bearing spins round and round free as a bird. 

It must be a seal failure that allows the grease to exit/water to enter. My seals looked good & saw nothing obvious, but with gyroscopic force and heat there maybe some leakage.